Recent Study Shows That...

One of my recent studies show that 1/15 people you do tricks to , are trying to ruin it.
I don`t know about you,but I see it like that,2-3 people from 20 try to ruin it.
Either they hate to see someone else which shows off ,either they just want to piss the magician off.

My question is : how do you act when you see this kind of people?

For example, I react like this : Doing my best, laughing at them, giving them the cards ,so they don`t know what to do with them [even if they say : ```Easy!!Big deal``] and so on ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Depends on how you present it to them. Often times some people will see what you do as a challenge to them, thus they will try to figure it out.

Find a way to present what you do as something other than a puzzle and then you'll see that they MIGHT be able to enjoy it a bit more.

Make it so that it is a win/win situation.

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
I very lucky, almost 100% of the time I perform I never have anyone 'trying to ruin' the trick.
I don't relly do anything special, I just don't have this problem very often (thankfully) and when I do, other spectators will do the job of shutting them up.
I've read before that having a reputation helps.

Jan 10, 2009
new jersey
Heckler... an effect by this guy Cliff Darrell. The spectator controls everything shuffling, dealing, and any cuts. With a sick ending. This can be used as a magician fooler or just what its made for that heckling party spoiler. It ends with a double prediction without you touching the deck. Reactions..not Oh my God, but complete silence.

Feb 28, 2008
Wayne Houchin mentioned something like this on a daily update awhile back... while some might be hecklers, others are just people who are interested and want to know or maybe think they know how tricks work.

There have been times where people just say, "Oh, he's palming the card", which could not be further from the truth as I really don't palm cards very often. In that situation, I did a trick using a similar plot to Paul Harris' Invisible Palm and the guy shut up and was more into the performance.

Anyways, Wayne suggested taking one of these people who think they know how things work and performing Joel Pashcall's fan control. I haven't encountered a Heckler in awhile, but I really think it would be a good idea.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I think a big part of it is preemptive awareness. In the restaurant, by observing a table I could get a sense of who may or may not be trouble. Avoid these people if possible, and if you can, involve them and make them the 'hero' of an effect. Avoid making a fool out of them or trying to 'trick' them. That antagonizes the situation. Be humble in your approach, and like said earlier, this will get the rest of the table on your side.
Another tip is to try and woo the 'alpha' personality at the table. This person is usually he person with the most dominant personality. Once you succeed at entertaining this person, you automatically get the rest of the table. Easy kill.
You can't win this person over by taking over their position of 'alpha' at the table. You can shut them up, effectively 'fool' them, or make them feel like an idiot, but you have not won them over. You have not entertained them, and thus you have failed your job as a magician (imo).
In the situations where I missed the mark with my opening effect, and the person was just going to be trouble, I thank them for their time and move on. Obviously they don't want to see more, and my job isn't to intrude past my welcome.
Now It is different for the stage magician who needs something short and effective that doesn't disrupt the show. I have to say that I love Mac King's approach (there are some great stories on his site), he tells them good job, and gives them a cookie from his pocket. Awesome.

;)

justin

Generally these types are not usually agressive until mid swing of your routine for the most part. So what I'm getting at is this. Start with something strong, quick, visual and to the point to earn the trust. If they say something at this point I usually do one of two things, Hand them the cards and say something along the lines of you needing a break for a bit you would love it if they could fill in for a while, or two my favorite,.............throw a deck at them.

PS, I'm not kidding just ask Sinful I've been doing it for years but please be tasteful when doing it. It should be funny and leaving him or her on their gaurd for the rest of the show.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Generally these types are not usually agressive until mid swing of your routine for the most part. So what I'm getting at is this. Start with something strong, quick, visual and to the point to earn the trust. If they say something at this point I usually do one of two things, Hand tham the cards and say something along the lines of you needing a break for a bit you would love it if they could fill in for a while, or two my favorite,.............throw a deck at them.

PS, I'm not kidding just ask Sinful I've been doing it for years but please be tasteful when doing it. It should be funny and leaving him or her on their gaurd for the rest of the show.:D

GATOR BOOTS!

-Doug

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah throwing the deck at them would do the job perfectly.

Tho I'd suggest that you just ignore them and don't accept their challenges. As the old saying goes. Don't give them the stick to beat you with.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well if your a good performer, good at presentation , an if your professional enough you will not sucumb to hecklers an move on with your routine. I have jus recently dealt with a group of 4 to 5 of people at my local mall that were making rather rude comments an tryin to get attention. I was performing wave the aces, an they were accusing me of palming...etc. So I said..what is palming? Now i know how to palm, but its something clever to say an make them feel better in sorts. Then after that I remarked, next time I perform this effect I'll use ur way...an patted him on the back...then followed up with Ishkabibble sandwhich an they all shut up. My advice...either ignore them or use them to ur advantage

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results