Art of Magic

Dec 16, 2008
Toledo, OH
Hey guys.
i juss wanna ask everyone how they feel about the people chosen to be on this dvd, like david regal, D&D, aaron fisher, i think thats it...anyways, for me i feel like these are all great people to be on the dvd, but i feel that there could've been more and better people to be on the dvd. Im not hating on these guys, there all great. i juss wanna see who else feels the same or feels that these are the right guys.

I dont want this to turn out to be a huge argument or insulting others, its not a big deal.

anyway, thanks guys

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I agree that there could be more people and more interesting, to me Dan and Dave are not Magicians they are flourishers, because they also say that they don´t perform as profesional magicians, just as a hobby....

aaron fisher it´s okay for me, I do like his style and everything that he has to say
I don´t recognize david regal so I have to say that I will to listen him to know him

the one that I think was the great absence is Daniel Garcia, I don´t know why he isn´t there

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
aaron fisher it´s okay for me, I do like his style and everything that he has to say
I don´t recognize david regal so I have to say that I will to listen him to know him

the one that I think was the great absence is Daniel Garcia, I don´t know why he isn´t there

first, Aaron is an amazing magician. second, you haven't heard of david regal? really? am i being punked? seriously? as for danny, he's been busy wtih other stuff like symphony and pressure so maybe thats why. besides he was on control and ultragaff, cant be there all the time

Dec 16, 2008
Toledo, OH
i dont have any problems with these guys, but i feel maybe that their shouldve been maybe some more people with greater experience, or more known as a whole to the magic community, example D&D are more known for their flourishing. like i said these are all great people, but i guess they juss seemed like the were randomly chosen, if that makes sense...im still gonna go out and buy this anyway.

i dont have any problems with these guys, but i feel maybe that their shouldve been maybe some more people with greater experience, or more known as a whole to the magic community, example D&D are more known for their flourishing. like i said these are all great people, but i guess they juss seemed like the were randomly chosen, if that makes sense...im still gonna go out and buy this anyway.
If you don't think Aaron Fisher and David Regal are "experienced or well-known enough" then I don't know what you're smoking! However, I agree with you on the D&D thing though.

Feb 6, 2009
There is going to be a volume 2 as well so there could well be another set of magicians. Personally I think its a nice little selection as each of the artists has a different approach to magic

Dec 14, 2007
i feel maybe that their shouldve been maybe some more people with greater experience,.

I think a lot of people would agree - in theory. How many of the names that you would consider widely known among the magic world have years of experience performing for real people (professionally) in a variety of settings - and how many make their livings inventing tricks to sell and lecturing to other magicians?

Do people really want what they say they want, or are they just looking for a magic show at the end of which they are allowed an entertaining peek behind the curtain?

Just something to think about.

Brad

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Learning from the Masters...

As a writer of fiction (typically, but not exclusively, science fiction and fantasy), my goal is to be widely read. To that extent, it behooves me to take what good advice I can from any writer who is already doing what I'd like to do: earn a living with writing, not just write as a side-project.

I was reminded of this during a workshop with Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch (two of the busiest working writers in science fiction today), when they provided my fellow writers and me with a list of books to read before the workshop. Lawrence Block? Nora Roberts? Clive Cussler? Why would I want to read those? I'm writing sci-fi. Stephen King, sure. But... Meg Cabot? Who is she, and why should I care? The Year's best Crime and Mystery? Historical fiction? What does this have to do with me?

Well, it turns out that they are all writers who are *extremely* well paid to put a story together and sell it to the reading public. And they all have something to teach me. Meg Cabot, it turns out, is one of the biggest names in Young Adult fiction around (The Princess Diaries). I'd never heard of her. Some of you here may never have heard of Connie Willis, despite the fact that she's won more Hugo awards for her writing than any other writer ever. So? If you want to write fiction that sells, and you have a chance to study any of these writers, you take it. They all have something to teach you.

A few folks on this thread have commented that Dan &Dave are just flourishers. Like you, I must say that my taste tends to run in a different direction when it comes to what I'd like to learn and work on. But have you ever listened to D&D talk about their trade? They are fascinating. Articulate. And they are doing something that I'm not doing -- they are making money in this industry and commanding the respect of their peers.

Certainly, you'll learn more from some folks than others. Then again, the more you're willing to listen, the more you're likely to learn from even the least likely of sources. This DVD has a great line-up. David Regal and WH are perhaps the two I'm most familiar with, but I expect to learn from *everyone* who contributed to this presentation. And if (when) there's a follow-up with additional performers, I'd like to hear what they have to say, as well.

Incidentally, after reading those aforementioned books that I never would have read had they not been labeled 'required reading', I wrote a short story in the historical fiction genre, and sold it within a week. (The anthology just came out in paperback -- Swordplay edited by Denise Little, available at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, and anywhere else fine books are sold. My story is about Custer and his famous Last Stand.)

You might be surprised at what you learn by listening to mentors from all across the field.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
As a writer of fiction (typically, but not exclusively, science fiction and fantasy), my goal is to be widely read. To that extent, it behooves me to take what good advice I can from any writer who is already doing what I'd like to do: earn a living with writing, not just write as a side-project.

I was reminded of this during a workshop with Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch (two of the busiest working writers in science fiction today), when they provided my fellow writers and me with a list of books to read before the workshop. Lawrence Block? Nora Roberts? Clive Cussler? Why would I want to read those? I'm writing sci-fi. Stephen King, sure. But... Meg Cabot? Who is she, and why should I care? The Year's best Crime and Mystery? Historical fiction? What does this have to do with me?

Well, it turns out that they are all writers who are *extremely* well paid to put a story together and sell it to the reading public. And they all have something to teach me. Meg Cabot, it turns out, is one of the biggest names in Young Adult fiction around (The Princess Diaries). I'd never heard of her. Some of you here may never have heard of Connie Willis, despite the fact that she's won more Hugo awards for her writing than any other writer ever. So? If you want to write fiction that sells, and you have a chance to study any of these writers, you take it. They all have something to teach you.

A few folks on this thread have commented that Dan &Dave are just flourishers. Like you, I must say that my taste tends to run in a different direction when it comes to what I'd like to learn and work on. But have you ever listened to D&D talk about their trade? They are fascinating. Articulate. And they are doing something that I'm not doing -- they are making money in this industry and commanding the respect of their peers.

Certainly, you'll learn more from some folks than others. Then again, the more you're willing to listen, the more you're likely to learn from even the least likely of sources. This DVD has a great line-up. David Regal and WH are perhaps the two I'm most familiar with, but I expect to learn from *everyone* who contributed to this presentation. And if (when) there's a follow-up with additional performers, I'd like to hear what they have to say, as well.

Incidentally, after reading those aforementioned books that I never would have read had they not been labeled 'required reading', I wrote a short story in the historical fiction genre, and sold it within a week. (The anthology just came out in paperback -- Swordplay edited by Denise Little, available at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, and anywhere else fine books are sold. My story is about Custer and his famous Last Stand.)

You might be surprised at what you learn by listening to mentors from all across the field.

*begins slow 80s clap...*

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.

Aaron Fisher is simply amazing when it comes to technical skill & experience, aswell with Regal. D&D are more flourishers but that doesn't mean they have NEVER performed for anybody, they tell you their experiences and how to go about it ect...

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
first, Aaron is an amazing magician. second, you haven't heard of david regal? really? am i being punked? seriously? as for danny, he's been busy wtih other stuff like symphony and pressure so maybe thats why. besides he was on control and ultragaff, cant be there all the time

sorry if you feel dissapointed about me not knowing David Regal, but my priorities goes way out beyond magic....if I don´t know somebody, I really don´t feel bad or anything because I know that eventually I´ll hear about them...in time

and yeah!! Aaron fisher is great for me too, just because I don´t scream like a groupie when I hear about him doesn´t mean I don´t like him

Dec 14, 2007
Rouselle,

I thought what you said, you said very well. And it is an extension of what I said - yet added an important element. Each of the people you were directed to study actually make their livings as writers. By studying their work, you can gain so much insight and value.

Yet, as in any field, there are people who have never written a sci fi novel who write books and give lectures on "How to write a sci fi book" or "how to make money as a writer." While certain general concepts will of course be true, they are hardly the experts one should be studying.

When we look at magic, when we read posts listing people's favorite magicians/creators, what are we really seeing? Are these the writers? Or are these really the people who write about writing?

Brad

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
sorry if you feel dissapointed about me not knowing David Regal, but my priorities goes way out beyond magic....if I don´t know somebody, I really don´t feel bad or anything because I know that eventually I´ll hear about them...in time

and yeah!! Aaron fisher is great for me too, just because I don´t scream like a groupie when I hear about him doesn´t mean I don´t like him

i was kinda kidding, about regal, although you should really look into him. as for fisher, i just dont see how you can criticize him. he is a professional performer who has been a student of some of the greatest magicians in history not least of which being the late great Larry Jennings. having met aaron and seen him perform i can attest to his ability to engage a crowd and hsi focus on technique and performance with substance which is what i think wayne's dvd was about. as for Dan and Dave, maybe they arent' magic performers, but as flourishing forerunners they have a unique view on creativity and presentation and with their unique work in their magic products they obviously have experience thinking outside the box and in the production of high quality stuff. i wasn't trying to jump down your throat just saying i think the choices were actually a good mix to cover a variety of topics and didn't just pick some well known faces. Besides, he has done a pretty good job of mixing up his people on all his dvd's ranging from Banachek to Danny to Dexter, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results