Your very own Double Lift...

Hey guys, thanks to all of you who replied to my other thread titled: "Ambitious Card - 'what sleights do you use?'" There was some unexpected reply's but it turned out more informative rather than listing your sleights which was asked. Oh well, there was some who did but the feedback was very interesting.

Anyways, this one is about the double lift. Not when you use, or how you use it, which tricks or anything like that. This time it's about your very own double lift. A double lift that you yourself made up in which I mean: you made the handling up, the turn over etc. I just want to see if anyone else has made turning over a double lift a more personal sleight. A lot of magicians have created their own personal double lift or has taken a double lift and made it their own personal move. Please tell tell me your input and personal persona on the double lift. If you don't want to go in depth just tell us about your double lift. And if any of you want to post a video please feel free. Once I get my camera up and running I will be posting a couple videos including a double lift battle possibly if anyone wants to have a go.

Thanks for the ones who reply! Looking forward to hear what you guys have to say.

Peace guys,
-Joey

Have a Good One!

May 26, 2009
The type of double life that i usually do , is very useful when using old bicycle cards , when the card is kinda bent , but the double life goes unnoticeable. I keep a picky brake above the top two cards , with my right index and thumb, i hold the right bottom and top of the two cards and lift them up and my middle finger of my left hand rotate the two cards.

Although t doesn't look natural , u can do it very fast and no one will ever notice

Sep 1, 2007
USA
I didn't make it up but I came up with my own method for the strike double lift.

Although I didn't sit down and come up with the method, I just kinda did it. I got tired with riffling up the back of the deck or doing a double pushover to get a break under two cards. And to me it looks a lot more natural and I rarely make mistakes with it because it's so easy.

Also, to make it look absolutely realistic, I do my single lifts the exact same way except with (obviously) one card.

ZG

Jul 8, 2008
I do a double lift that my fingers really don't do the work. I prety much wrist kill the deck and let one card slide off and another slip towards that one and on the action of turning the card and the deck in the upward position, I grasp that second card.

Oct 11, 2007
I usually start to perform the double on tivo 2.0, where u take it out of the middle, but instead I slide it on to the back of my hand where I toss it into the air and catch it on top of the deck! I might post a video if my camera will work!

-emagician

Mar 19, 2009
Colorado Springs
I created one that is similar to the undercover switch but mine doesn't use a set up and it can be handed out whenever you or the spec decides, which makes it really helpful and convincing. It can also be used as a switch, color change, steal, etc. I think its more a utility double

I never do the push off double lift. I am a little conflicted with it because when you think about it, noone lifts off a card like that. However, it is also very smooth. All I do for a double lift is touch the lower right side of the deck with my pointer finger and flip them. I have done it so much over the years it just happens without thinking about it. It looks natural and has never caused any questions.

Jun 1, 2009
I kinda have a few I guess. Ill do the twirl action in the Jones change beginning, but leave the card on the deck face up, or I put my fingers under the break and "sweep" the card across the deck to turn it face up, pretty standard; also i do the one from tivo 2.0 sometimes

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
One techniuqe(sp) that I have put into practice is the pinky count with your left hand. This is something my teacher has said that EVERY magician should do, instead of thumb counting,tiVo double,push off doubles, try a pinky count...you can get into doubles...triples...quads...even quicker an smoother...more professional. This can go great with C.A.A.N (card at any number) an performing a glide with the top card. Hope this helps.

I completely agree with you on that. The pinkey break count is like the muscle pass, it takes a lot of time and practice to accomplish this one. I've been doing it for maybe a month now and it's still hard to get right. Which is why I'm getting the Hand pro Exerciser I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.

Jun 8, 2009
I'm not sure this thread would be useful to anyone. A double lift only works well if it is indistinguishable from the real deal (a single card lift). Most people will use a pinky break, and buckle to keep the cards together. Other than that, there's not much that can carry over into an alternate handling.

I can't say i agree with you on that. Sure there isn't much more to it than a simple double lift. I'm asking for: 'if anybody has created an alternative way of turning over a double lift.' Simple as that, I don't want the discussion of why we shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that or if this is pointless or not. All I asked for was a simple question not anything about why this is useless or not.

Peace,

-Joey

I've come up with a variation to D&D's Spin Doctor due to the fact I didn't like the extra rotation to remove the card. I also have an aerial Double Lift as well as a few others I use that I didn't really learn anywhere I just stumbled upon the method myself. So, I wouldn't call them my own (yet) but, I didn't "learn" them.

-RA69

Jul 14, 2008
I sometimes do some twirly, more flashy things for my double lift, but not while performing. I just play around with the flourishy doubles.

I try to make my handling look as clean and normal as possible so it doesn't look like its my hands doing the magic. So I try to make it as simple as someone who doesn't do magic.

I like to do a DL with a twirl when I'm doing an effect like re-set, sentimental aces, etc. But when I'm doing an ACR I wont do a twirl in my DL cause I like to make my ACR effortlessly and natural like I'm doing it to my mirror. Less suspicion that way and lots of room for interaction and getting involved with the spectator rather than your effects.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results