Pixel by David Jade

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
There are other reviews but I am bored and just want to input my 2 cents.

Effect:
Card is chosen, can be signed, card is replaced and lost in deck, rubber band is wrapped around deck and is shown. Deck is placed on table or any other workable surface (hands included). After a magical action (wave, bang, or anything), a card visually travels through the rubber band and to the top of the deck. The spectator takes the card and sees it is theirs. Everything is examinable before and after the trick. No gimmicks, can be done with a regular deck and regular rubberband. No setup, No preconditioning of anything, No knuckle busting sleight of hand.

First Thoughts:
When I saw the effect, I found it rather nice. Looked very simple and clean. It was one of those effects which you knew 70% of it and how it generally works, but just not the exact method. It is possible to work out with a bit of time, but I rather just learn it with all the tips and notes.

What you get:
A video teaching everything you need to know.

Method:
Not exactly State-of-the-art impossible to figure out, but still does its job nicely. It is easy to learn, easy to perform, kinda easy to guess. There are some sleight parts which require extra note, otherwise it would epicly ruin the trick and may even ruin a card or two. Overall, not exactly ingenius, but still one which would make you go "ah....... right right right"

Teaching:
Its from the bucks, you wont miss anything.

Quality:
Its a video... from the bucks... you wont have any glitches or audio distortions.

Overall:
This is more of a trick where you happen to have a rubberband and a deck and just show it for fun. Its not one of those which you build up a lot and finally use it a finale. Its cool, but doesn't get the greatest of reactions. You can even see in the trailer. the last chick's reaction "Oooh..... thats... thats cool.... good job" not exactly an awesome reaction. I guess its a thing to show people when they are bored. Ah well.
There are also a few visual nuances in which the spectator could figure the trick out from, but these arent things you cant overcome without a little thought and experimentation.
Now there are limits. The type of rubberband, although most works, there are some which just dont. Such as the really thick ones or the really small ones. There are also limits to the surface you can work on. You cant do it on a nice fluffy pillow or on the back of your dog.
Final Thoughts:
I am not exactly sure whether or not I am happy with my purchase. I know I got what I paid for, but still... Its one of those things which just make you say "meh... couldve bought something else". It works and its what it says it is, but you just dont feel the bang for your buck. You might also get a tad ticked if you expected a better method. In the trailer, they cut out the "methoding" of the trick as once you see it, it is quite obvious to a magicians eye. I guess thats marketing. Ah well. It is still quite fun to perform when you are lazy to bust out your S.W. Erdnase shift of Akira Fuji Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
I disagree with you about the reactions, I've done it twice now to people and got great reactions, I'll probably be adding it to my ACR though because it's a very good end trick.

Jul 8, 2008
Lol, E.S. Erdnase, eh? Thanks for the review. I might get this if I have a few bucks left from my card

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
HAHHAHAH
right
thanks for that
I was wondering why it sounded so stupid.
HA
boy do i feel retarted.
anyways...
yea its one of those things which is bought with extra cash in my op

May 12, 2009
Or maybe respect them for putting it out and buy it?

i'm not saying it isn't a good effect, i might pick it up myself, what i mean is when you are watching the video you know 70% of the trick but not all of it like what sciffydof sayed in his reveiw. i want to add it to my ACR to end it strong. i think it is a very creative trick and very visual

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
I actually love this effect. I bought it the day it came out. My only issue is when i do it on the table, sometimes the card just shoots out. any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
This effect went immediately into my working routine. It is absolutely great. Hand over the magic to them and have them bang on the table. I've been in some unique situations where they are holding a clipboard and then the kind of shake the clipboard and see the rise happen. Its quite good. As for it shooting out, its not the worst thing for that to happen. PM if you'd like.

Dec 28, 2008
Its cool, but doesn't get the greatest of reactions. You can even see in the trailer. the last chick's reaction "Oooh..... thats... thats cool.... good job" not exactly an awesome reaction. I guess its a thing to show people when they are bored. Ah well.

That other guy seemed impressed, you can't just use one reaction as an example when there are contradicting reactions. Anyway, the only reason they put her on is because she's hot as LOL!

I actually love this effect. I bought it the day it came out. My only issue is when i do it on the table, sometimes the card just shoots out. any suggestions?

Use size 16 rubber bands that are 100% rubber.
Hope this helps!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results