Would you change your performance for Females/Males?

So,

I was thinking,

Lets say you did an effect, (I prefer effect rather than *trick*), And then you repeated that exact same one to a group of females. (or any group really, Kids, adults)

Would you change the way you perform the effect to get different reactions? Or stay the same?

Its just Iv sort of figured females react differently sometimes, Depending on how its performed.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Very much so. It makes the effect and your style so much more lenient. Especially with females they tend to have alot more fun so usually you can be more relaxed and be yourself. (Which you should all ready be doing) But as we all know there are the occasions where they just dont like magic.

But Generally yes sometimes i tend to be more serious with one set of people than another depending on the persona, feeling of the group.:p

Tom

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Magic in the hands in more impressive to females I feel HOWEVER don't think that it don't impress dudes either. Also, the jokes are a lot different depending on gender (And many other factors)

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I choose my effects based on the audience. Females tend to like the spiritual type stuff (e.g. using their pulse for a revelation or something) whereas males tend to enjoy the gambling demo's more (e.g. dealing/stacking demo's).

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Very much so.

I use males for things that I have complete control over. ie Chair Routines etc. However I use females for things that are more ambiguous for example suggestion and cold reading type pieces.

This is not the be all and end all but it works very well as a loose guide lines.

I change mine. Shanku made a great point that I put into practice as to how to change your effects to better appeal to your audience. Not that the one does not appeal to the other, just that in practice it is a safer bet to go with the consensus.

As part of my "always ready-routine", I do something similiar to Wayne Houchin's French Kiss. Now if Im performing for guys, I take the hand touching and the card in mouth out of it. It just isn't appropriate and people would find me weird.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well, a lot of my performances vary depending on how the audience reacts. It's not really a male female thing. It's not like I'm trying to pick up chicks or anything. Generally women are more vocal, so I like to approach the most vocal person in the group. Their reactions almost 'give permission' to the others that it is okay to react. Kids and adults though, my presentation varies, mostly with intonations and some jokes.

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Males: I perform Here Then There
Females: I perform French Kiss...if they look decent...otherwise I perform Here Then There

Anyway, I change my performance based on audience and setting. Of course I'm gonna do something different with a 24 year old girl than with a 6 year old. At BBQs if sitting at tables I'll do different effects than when we're just hanging out in the back yard.

May 31, 2008
Yes, I also adjust my performance by age:

Teenage girls: I act very laid back, more like it's a conversation, and not a performance

Teenage boys: I perform a little more, but it's still more of a conversation

Adult females: Same as teenage boys, but more performing yet

Adult males: I really sell the effect here.

Mar 2, 2008
I do.. example...

In Stigamta when pefroming for a bunch of guys they don't tend to like grabbing my wrist, so i never bring it up. With girls, i don't mind if they grab it and they dont either. :D

So,

I was thinking,

Lets say you did an effect, (I prefer effect rather than *trick*), And then you repeated that exact same one to a group of females. (or any group really, Kids, adults)

Would you change the way you perform the effect to get different reactions? Or stay the same?

Its just Iv sort of figured females react differently sometimes, Depending on how its performed.
ohh yeah...for the adults...since i'm more urban...there's profanity...there's sometimes adult themes...but for kids...i always tone it down....

Of course, males have a different way to communicate than females. I would be a lot less vulgar with females than I would with males. I always try to be respectful to all of my audiences but magic is about psychology. You have to change the way you communicate to connect with your audience.

I wouldn't even split it up between male and female. There are so many more factors than those two incredibly general distinctions. Male/female is just the beginning of how you should perceive your audience.

Mitch

Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
lol. looks like I'm not the only one who tried this immediately after buying. :D

Works ridiculously well, doesn't it?

If you are referring me purchasing Art of Magic, I didn't. What happened was I was thinking of ways I could altar how I perform various tricks, and French Kiss came out of Here Then There before I ever knew of French Kiss. I just called it a variation on Here Then There that I could use on members of the opposite sex. After all, that is exactly what it is.

Yes, it does work ridiculously well, by the way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results