Magic in close quaters...

I am leaving soon, 2 months, for college. I am moving out to live the dorm life so I can sleep where I eat, eat where I study, sleep while I study and shower with everyone. I am really looking forward to it, but theres one problem...

Where will I practice?

I will be living with a roommate, someone I have never met before. Odds are that they will not be into magic. Although how cool would that be? I am concerned with finding space, time and privacy to work on my magic like I am used to having at home.

Can anyone who has shared a room with someone tell me how they kept up with their practice and kept things secret? Whether it was like my situation, or sharing a room with a sibling. All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2007
Boulder, CO, USA
As a current college student myself, my advice would be don't worry about it. I lived in the dorms my freshman year and it was fine I had plenty of time to practice when my roomate wasn't there. The chances of you and your roomate having the exact same class schedule is pretty much zero. So practice when he's at class or out with friends. Just because you are roomates, it doesn't mean you will be attached at the hip. If worst comes to worst, walk through campus and find a quiet spot to practice.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Again as mentioned...you will not have the same class schedule as your roommate.
There would be times that I didn't see my roomie for the entire day. Or...he would go visit a girlfriend at another college for a weekend.

You can walk anywhere on campus you want with your magic in a backpack / shoulder bag or whatever you want and sit down.

or....you can get your roommate interested in magic and allow him into your world where he can help you by watching some of your practice sessions and telling you his thoughts from a lay person's point of view.

You could even explain to him that it is important that when he sees you performing magic for other specs that he should not interrupt or blurt out how it is done because it means a lot to you.

Just my two cents. I think you are worried too much. Have fun with it. I wish I was into magic back when I was in college. Now I am 31 and just really getting into it.

I am leaving soon, 2 months, for college. I am moving out to live the dorm life so I can sleep where I eat, eat where I study, sleep while I study and shower with everyone. I am really looking forward to it, but theres one problem...

Where will I practice?

I will be living with a roommate, someone I have never met before. Odds are that they will not be into magic. Although how cool would that be? I am concerned with finding space, time and privacy to work on my magic like I am used to having at home.

Can anyone who has shared a room with someone tell me how they kept up with their practice and kept things secret? Whether it was like my situation, or sharing a room with a sibling. All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Unless your roomate is Valintino They probably won't care enough to really pay enough attention to learn your secrets. If they do catch something then it would really take an absolute dick to follow you around telling everyone you perform for how it's done. I wouldn't fuss over this at all.

You may find that you'll make a strong bond with your roomate, and this person may be a valuable source of input on new effects and tricks your working on. Think of this person as a study buddy that you can work on things with that isn't school related. My wife who isn't a magician and has no desire to be anywhere near show business is a great person to bounce ideas off of when I'm working on something new. This could be a blessing in disguise for you.

i just worked on magic with my roommate there. they are always busy doing things. and my roommate loved to watch magic too. so i would show him all my routines and ask for tips and stuff.
its not a hinderence.
its like showing magic to your mom or dad. you get to know the person.
then again i had a great roommate.
u can also go to librarys and what not, where they have quiet study areas.

but its not a problem
dont worry about it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results