MAGIC or Genii?

May 31, 2008
I've decided to subscribe to a magic magazine and I've heard that those two are the best. I was wondering, which of those two would be better for me. I have been doing magic for a little less than four years, I do a lot of card magic, but I want to broaden my horizon.

I appreciate any input, and I'm sure my mailman will be excited when I get my first issue as he is a magician. Ok not really, but wouldn't that be awesome?

Jan 13, 2008
Try using the search button before making a new thread. :)

It's really up to you which one you choose; they're both great magazines. If you get anything from the other threads on the subject, it should be that it's really subjective. Both magazines receive a fair amount of praise. So, you should be good with either one.

May 31, 2008
Try using the search button before making a new thread. :)

It's really up to you which one you choose; they're both great magazines. If you get anything from the other threads on the subject, it should be that it's really subjective. Both magazines receive a fair amount of praise. So, you should be good with either one.

I actually did use the search button, it often doesn't seem to work for me. :confused: I actually remember a thread a few weeks ago with the very same question I don't think it got any replies.

Tomorrow I'll go to the magic shop and ask the owner and one of the only employees which one he thinks would better suit me. They are very always very helpful.

Also, does anyone else have trouble with the search button not working.

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
hey man,
just start doing some part time magic to afford both subscriptions. They both offer alot of great things, and each one is a little different.

its hard for me to say which i like more.

check out H&R magic books, we definately have books to push your magic to the next level

http://www.magicbookshop.com

call us and we would be glad to help

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The magic shop I buy mine at says he has cancelled all of his subscriptions for Genii because everyone comes in and buys MAGIC magazine instead.

I think they are both great but I think more people lean towards MAGIC, especially with the Josh Jay column.

I would ask Brad Henderson though because I believe he writes reviews in one or both of them.

Dec 14, 2007
I write reviews for Magic but do feature articles for both magazines.

I really enjoy both magazines, and honestly, on any given month one of the magazines will have something great the other doesn't.

As far as the reviews go, I always read anything Eric Mead (Genii), Jamy Swiss (Genii), Jason England (Magic) and John Lovick (Magic) offer. Not to slight the other guys, it's simply that I find my opinions seem often to coincide more with theirs. (And even when they don't, we still find the same issues important.)

I don't know if this is actually true, but my gut feelings suggests that the close up magic in Genii may be of greater variety. There is a lot of gold in these pages. Having said that, I think the magic Josh culls for Magic Magazine may be closer to the taste I have seen echoed on this forum.

I know - that helped a lot.

Genii has some amazing historical articles, and Magic often has some real up to date profiles and stories. Yet each has the other as well.

So, which one to get? Honestly, I think that to truly have an accurate representation of the current magic seen you would need to have both. I realize many cannot afford that. But if you buy four one trick DVDs this year - what do you have, 4 tricks.

Take the same money and each month you will get about a dozen tricks, a lot of news, insight into the leading performers in the art, history that will have you fascinated, and a ton of ideas to think about to help improve your ability to perform for different audiences and in different venues - all offered by people who have actually BEEN THERE.

Heck, last month's Genii had three of the five tricks from Wayne's Art of Magic DVD in it, I was told. How is that not a bargain?

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results