A Wise Quote...

Hey everyone,

I just finished watching "The Dark Knight", which in my opinion is one of the worst movies I've ever watched, for reasons such as: it was WAY too long, The guy that plays Harvey Dent is a terrible actor, Batman always sounds like his mouth is full of food, and did I mention...I CAN'T STAND HEATH LEDGER!!!!

But that's beside the point. At some point during the movie, between all of the useless crap and bad acting, when The Joker is talking to the mob, he says a very wise quote, probably the onlt thing that was worthwhile to watch in the movie. It goes something like this.

Joker: "The plan is simple...kill the Batman."

Mob Boss: "If it's so simple, why haven't you done it yet?"

Joker: "If you're good at something, never do it for free."

This quote seems to prove many things. We often see threads where people are talking about how they did a one night trial for free at a restaurant. But all of that stuff is a waste of time, because somewhere, there is somebody who'll pay you, even on a trial night. So if you really are that good at magic, never perform it for free. You can do discounts for friends and what not, but always get paid.

Anyway, I am off to sell The Dark Knight to a store, and then buy a Joker shirt with the cash and burn it.

Dylan P.

Ps: Even though I hate the movie with a burning passion, I still can do a REALLY good Joker Impression.

May 31, 2008
Hey everyone,

I just finished watching "The Dark Knight", which in my opinion is one of the worst movies I've ever watched, for reasons such as: it was WAY too long, The guy that plays Harvey Dent is a terrible actor, Batman always sounds like his mouth is full of food, and did I mention...I CAN'T STAND HEATH LEDGER!!!!

But that's beside the point. At some point during the movie, between all of the useless crap and bad acting, when The Joker is talking to the mob, he says a very wise quote, probably the onlt thing that was worthwhile to watch in the movie. It goes something like this.

This quote seems to prove many things. We often see threads where people are talking about how they did a one night trial for free at a restaurant. But all of that stuff is a waste of time, because somewhere, there is somebody who'll pay you, even on a trial night. So if you really are that good at magic, never perform it for free. You can do discounts for friends and what not, but always get paid.

Anyway, I am off to sell The Dark Knight to a store, and then buy a Joker shirt with the cash and burn it.

Dylan P.

Well, that is a good quote. I disagree with you about the movie. I didn't think it was as good as people said it was, but I still liked it.

Anyway, I like the quote. I'll remember that.

Jul 13, 2008
Athens, Georgia
Heath Ledger is one of our greatest actors of all time. He did an absolute fantastic job, he learned how do be this character. He slept with this character, he WAS this character for many many months. Ultimately people think thats how he died, he couldn't live with the joker any longer. Anyway, The Dark Knight is one of the greatest super hero movies we have had in a long long time.
Nice quote though! haha, sorry, just voicing my opinion!

May 31, 2008
Heath Ledger is one of our greatest actors of all time. He did an absolute fantastic job, he learned how do be this character. He slept with this character, he WAS this character for many many months. Ultimately people think thats how he died, he couldn't live with the joker any longer. Anyway, The Dark Knight is one of the greatest super hero movies we have had in a long long time.
Nice quote though! haha, sorry, just voicing my opinion!

Yes, Heath did an incredible job as the Joker. Plus he used the Tally-Ho joker card!

Dec 3, 2008
Well I believe that if you truely love something, you won't mind doing it for free... because you love it. Getting paid's a plus, but shouldn't be the only reason you do it

-Ben

p.s. Dark Knight was AWESOME

Heath Ledger is dead, and this thread will be too if this doesn't stay close to a magic topic.

The observation is accurate. I think I even used that quote when I wrote "How to Get Gigs, and Keep Clients."

However, There is something that is to be said for doing free shows. Doing a free show once in a while isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it is a necessary evil. You'll find that it's the only way to get your foot in the door with some people.

Use the free trial nights like a tool, and like any tool you just have to know how to use it correctly. Use it sparingly, and always with the understanding that you expect to get work out of it.

You are right about one thing though. Never perform just for the sake of it. Make sure you're getting something out of it, even if it's free publicity.

Jun 24, 2008
United States
i dissagree with you on the movie...haha its probably one of my favorites. If you thought that was long watch Lord of the Rings (also an excellent movie)..anyway back to the discussion:
I think that when your first starting out it would be ok to do a few gigs for free, to get the experience, because after all thats what people want to hire you for, they dont want to pay money for someone that hasnt had any experience performing before. So i think when starting off you should do a few small gigs for free, that way your name gets out there and you have experience.

~Nate

Good quote, but I disagree on the movie as well. I remember when I saw it and the movie ended I was like, "Are you serious? It's over?" And I literally was upset that it was over so fast. Oh well I guess we'll agree to disagree!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Batman always sounds like his mouth is full of food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc
awesome.

I disagree that you should always get paid.
Many magicians don't know if they're good enough to get paid for a show of strolling and just by performing for people, it helps a lot for his future act.

In the beginning, you don't need to get paid when developing your show.
But once you have a show down pat, feel free to charge.

Nov 30, 2007
So what about performing for hospitals, nursing homes, etc. for free? You can be good at an art such as magic and still perform for free.

While I give you props for connecting a quote from a movie to magic, I disagree...

Hey everyone,

Dylan P.

Ps: Even though I hate the movie with a burning passion, I still can do a REALLY good Joker Impression.
i loved the Dark Knight, Heath Ledger played the best Joker, he was better than Jack, i have never put badass and Joker in the same sentence...but he was this time around....

I loved that line about getting paid if your good at something.....

classic....

as far as magic...truly magician do their magic for promotional purposes to make money so if you really look at it....the Joker is right....

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Doing shows for free is a good way to get paid for it quickly. Of course,human nature what it is,when one doesn't appear needy,people will go out of their way to help.
Unfortunately the converse is often also true.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results