Lessons Learned From Legerdemain

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Lessons Learned From Legerdemain

Introduction

Welcome to “Lessons Learned From Legerdemain!” Hello! My name is Anthony Nguyen and I have been studying magic a little over two years and I picked up on acting in September 2008. “Lessons Learned From Legerdemain” is a series of writings not only about my magic, but about my acting as well. It contains both my failures and my successes. Magic and acting both have one goal; to entertain the audience with a performance getting as close to reality as possible. My purpose for writing “Lessons” is to share my experiences so you can learn from them (like David Stone does in his book Close Up ). The lessons are generalized so they do not only pertain to magicians and actors, but to anyone interested in learning about success. So keep your seat and enjoy the read!

Lesson #1 – Memorization and Rehearsal

Let me tell you a story.

It was the day before the English final exam and I had a ton of work. At about ten o’clock at night, I finished my final draft of my final exam essay and started to work on my Dracula presentation. I wrote up a two-minute monologue for Dracula and started memorizing. I found memorizing the monologue challenging. The words would not stay in my head. It was like there was a mirror in my brain that reflected back words. I got frustrated as I expressed my rage through slamming my hand against my bed mattress and occasionally let out an “ARGGH!” Many times I lost focus because of frustration. I decided to take a break by listening to music and finishing everything that the exam required. I laid down on my bed knowing that I had to memorize the monologue. I opened my eyes and it was six o’clock in the morning!

I rushed to shower and put on my clothes and make-up to play the part of Dracula. Once at school, I walked around memorizing my monologue as onlookers stared and commented on my costume and make-up. The words were not setting up camp in my head.

Watching other students’ projects astounded me. Everyone received applause and everyone’s presentations were very entertaining. Then the spotlight turned to me. I got off my chair and convinced myself “I got this.” I memorized and performed the beginning of the monologue. Then I froze. I could not remember the middle section of the monologue and I could not improvise. I knew my character but I froze. I glanced at the script where I froze and I performed one line. Then I froze again. I looked at my script again. This went on for about 4 lines of the monologue. I remember seeing in a classmate’s face a face that signaled surprised and awe at my loss of words. I knew the ending to the monologue, but had to improvise a bit and dropped one line. Then my classmates gave me applause. It probably was not a congratulations applause but rather a pity applause. I walked backed to my seat with tears in my eyes. I suppressed more tears from coming out because I knew I was mentally strong and I went through the day as if everything was great.

Three days later, I had a performance in my acting school at the Youth Film Academy. I presented my Shakespeare sonnet with pride and dignity. I knew my lines because I took three hours and I gave myself more than a day for memorization. I took another three hours to rehearse my performance. I knew what location I was presenting my sonnet. I knew my props that I needed for the presentation. I knew what costume to wear. I knew whether to move my hands or to keep them still. I knew where I was walking. I knew much more about my sonnet presentation than I did in my Dracula presentation. Steve Cohen (the Millionaires’ Magician) suggests people to do everything with confidence. I was performing my sonnet with confidence. My teacher, Professor Amelia, was very pleased and the class liked my performance. I was completely satisfied (except for losing my place for half a second). It was all about preparation.

Final Thoughts

What a big lesson to be learned from this experience! I found out that it takes me more than one day to memorize lines. With lack of rehearsal, I did not know my blocking. I moved without purpose. I did not know where to look, or if I should move my hands, or keep them still. I did not know anything about my performance! By barely knowing my lines and not even rehearsing once, the performance is a sure disaster. But every failure is an opportunity to learn. Mistakes happen and you need to learn the lesson and make the next day better.

Thank you to my classmates in both classes for being such a wonderful audience. Thank you to my English teacher, Mrs. Alemian, for comforting me after class. And thank you to the successful people who set such a wonderful example.

“Practice your material until it becomes boring. Then practice until it becomes beautiful.” – Bill Palmer (Merlin the Magician)

Thank you for your time and keep your dreams alive!

Written by Anthony Nguyen
Edited by Steve Einhorn

Attachments

• dracula-film.jpg
    dracula-film.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 107
May 31, 2008
That was very good. I enjoyed reading it very much. I thought that the quote at the end summed it all up very well. Goid job!

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
Man, you've got my deep gratitude for this excellent and informative essay. Thank you.

May I ask which of Shakespeare's sonnets you learned?

I know none by heart, and would love to add one (or more) to my repetoire.

Thanks again.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Thank you for reading!

I performed sonnet 116. It begins with the lines "Let me not to the marriage of true minds" and ends with "I never writ, nor no man ever loved." I liked it so much more when i actually understood what the sonnet meant.

Anthony Nguyen

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
Beautiful.

Going to have to bust out my Collected Shakespeare tonight.

Again, man: thank you. I look forward to more of your lessons.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
Right now I'm sleeping over my friend's house, and while my friends are sleeping I got a chance to read this. I enjoyed that post very much, thank you. And while on the topic of Shakespeare, at my school we had an Elizabethan Fair, and my friend's group got the topic of Shakespeare's Sonnets :p

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Right now I'm sleeping over my friend's house, and while my friends are sleeping I got a chance to read this. I enjoyed that post very much, thank you. And while on the topic of Shakespeare, at my school we had an Elizabethan Fair, and my friend's group got the topic of Shakespeare's Sonnets :p

Oh that's cool! Did they enjoy the sonnets? and do you enjoy Shakespeare's stuff? I love it so much more now that I like acting more.

Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
Oh that's cool! Did they enjoy the sonnets? and do you enjoy Shakespeare's stuff? I love it so much more now that I like acting more.

Eh, it's 8th grade, no one really cared too much about listening to any one Sonnet. I'm not a big guy on Sonnets and poetry myself, so I can't really say if i like Shakespeare's stuff. We did read A Midsummer Night's Dream during the school year, and I found it extremely hard to understand so that made me not like it as much, but it was still pretty good

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
Eh, it's 8th grade, no one really cared too much about listening to any one Sonnet. I'm not a big guy on Sonnets and poetry myself, so I can't really say if i like Shakespeare's stuff. We did read A Midsummer Night's Dream during the school year, and I found it extremely hard to understand so that made me not like it as much, but it was still pretty good

Haha! Same here. Very hard to understand anything Shakespeare does. I also read Midsummer in school as well. My favorite character is Bottom. He's hilarious. My teacher helped me understand it better. The movie made in 2000 is good too and a lot easier to understand since you can see body language and hear voices that portray an emotion.

Jun 9, 2009
USA
When you see a car in your mirror, count one mississippi, two mississippi, they usually pass in eight mississippis unless your in Kansas, then its like 30 mississippis.

NEVER ask somebody from Georgia for directions, and never ask somebody from Virginia for advise....they thrive on bogus.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results