Cartier (David Jade) :: Review

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
YO YO! What's up everyone? Hope you are all keeping well. I know I am considering I just learned Cartier from here. (Ok, excuse the corny beginning...)

Anyway, let's get right into it.

What they say:

"Imagine a color change in which the card is never fully covered and seems to visually morph into a spectators selection, like a camera trick. Done completely at the fingertips with no suspicious actions, and right in front of their nose, literally. Cartier is the most visual color change we've ever come across."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truth in the statement? Definitely. You can do this as close to the spectator(s) as you want, without them seeing anything BUT the card morphing right in front of them.
2wgeyrn.png

There are (as stated) no really suspicious actions if done well, except maybe the clean-up, but if you perform it in an off beat, you'll be fine. Also, they won't be watching you clean up, they'll be checking out their selection!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quality of the video? Perfect. If you have ever purchased anything else from their ON DEMAND series, you'll know what I mean. Everything is crystal clear, you should have to problem seeing or understanding anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teaching? A+ :) (ok lame joke), but honestly, they go over everything that you need to know. They also teach the TCP and walk you through it by using Juan Tamariz's book "SONATA." They say they will "briefly" go over it, however, they teach it in quite some detail. You should be fine if you are an intermediate card worker.
2wbu9mw.png

Difficulty?
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would probably give it a four or five. It isn't hard to get the basic move down, but to get your fingers positioned so that your audience can see the card changing and get the fullest impact will take a little bit of practice. The cleanup will take a little bit of work too, but that is probably the easiest thing considering you have plenty of misdirection.

Angles? This is probably the reason most people will shy away from the change. It is perfect for audiences who are directly in front of you, but as long as they are not standing on your DIRECT right or left (although you can still get around this problem with extra coverage) you will be fine! Really, this isn't something to worry about when you realize the impact of this color change.

Final thoughts?
For walk around performances, or performances for small groups this is great. It is also a really fun thing to practice! Also, they teach you the TCP which is (to me) a gift because it seems like it could be a whole other On Demand video :) I have already messed around with not only the change, but also the TCP and come up with some interesting things. If you have 6 bucks to spend, pick it up! You won't regret it!

That's all from me.

Questions will be answered.

Best,

-Sanj

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
i have this effect, and your review is dead on, when i showed this to my family, they flipped out and had no idea. everyone, please buy this effect you wont regret one cent of it!

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I think the name might be a little bit revealing, so I will just leave it at TCP. If someone else thinks differently please comment.

Is it the card control he uses in the video? Does he teach the control from the preview? If so this download is super cheap.

Sep 7, 2008
Does this bend the hell out of your cards? I'd rather not do a color change that bends cards at all...

Sep 1, 2007
I am for one not supporting this. This effect has been being performed by someone else for years. In my opinion, I would have to say, Mr. Jade had to have ripped this off after seeing a video of this. It's just too perfect in comparison to the original creator. Now I could be wrong about him intentionally ripping it off, but nonetheless this is someone else's effect.

Check it out for yourself. Here's the link. Notice it was posted almost 3 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgkHK2VVXk

I'll let you guys decide..

-Dave-

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I am for one not supporting this. This effect has been being performed by someone else for years. In my opinion, I would have to say, Mr. Jade had to have ripped this off after seeing a video of this. It's just too perfect in comparison to the original creator. Now I could be wrong about him intentionally ripping it off, but nonetheless this is someone else's effect.

Check it out for yourself. Here's the link. Notice it was posted almost 3 years ago.

-Dave-

Both color changes look exactly the same.

But as far as I know, I don't know if Jade created this color change independently or was influenced.

But I have to somewhat agree with you, his other effect "Pixel" is very similar to Paul Harris's effect "Stretch" as well.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.

-Dave-

For all we know David Jade created this effect over 10 years ago, just never published it.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Jeff (JPMagic):: This does bend the cards a bit, but it isn't anything permanent, and can easily be fixed by simply bending the card the other way, or, just leaving it in the pack and doing a few springs.

Best,

-Sanj

Sep 19, 2008
Singapore
Jeff (JPMagic):: This does bend the cards a bit, but it isn't anything permanent, and can easily be fixed by simply bending the card the other way, or, just leaving it in the pack and doing a few springs.

Best,

-Sanj

I think I know how it works based on this comment.. :rolleyes:

Btw, is it TCP or TPC?

Sep 9, 2007
Personally, I'm a little hesitant to purchase this one. I'm pretty sure I figured it out the first time I saw it without much thought, and it really isn't my style. Now I could be wrong - maybe I just thought of another way to do it, but judging by the description, I'm guessing I'm right.

Not that it's a bad effect (especially for 6 bucks, that's pretty cheap), but performing it wouldn't really be my style.

That being said, I'm curious about that 3 year old video on youtube. I'm curious what will come of that.....

Performed this infront of a mirror after I watched the preview the second time, but, I honestly think it's just cause i'm familiar with the TCP and knew what to look for anyway. I did show the preview to a friend, and he had no idea how it was done. Honestly, I like it. It's very visual when done right. I wouldn't really recommend doing it inches from someones face however, but that might just be me. I'll wait till I buy it and have practiced it alot more before I actually experiment with performing it, but i'm hopeful with this move.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Love this change and Mr Jade has released two absolute belters for my money so far.

The angle issue is interesting but much of the set up can easily be covered as well as the actual moment of the change. Even the Snap Change can be performed to a live audience, this most certainly can be too.

Jan 28, 2009
Belgium, Antwerp
I love This Change !

I love this Change!
the only thing I don't like is you can't just go like, look at this card, now its an other one.

you need to have a card selected, return it to the deck, do your move's and now you can do the change.

But it's stil an awsome trick.

Gianni.

Jan 28, 2009
Er......what kind of magic trick would that be.....like...."Look here's a random card you don't care about....and watch as I change it into another random card you don't care about.." -applause here?-

This is a nice change. Really cool and visual.,

Jun 30, 2009
personally i really like this change its super visual ... angles arent so great but if your doing magic for one or two people they will flip! i did this to a couple of my friends and i used the deck as a "imagination printer" and the reactions were priceless .. takes a little bet to get the first slight down.. but its so versitile once you know how to do it .. my advice is you should get it its pretty cheap.. and well worth it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results