Why do people enjoy magic so much?

I have been in Magic for over a year now (Not to long I know hahaha) and ever since I started, I have always wondered what makes the prospect of "Magic" so interesting and intruiging to a lay person?

I mean, in essence, they are just getting tricked (Hence: magic TRICK)? So why do they enjoy it? Is it because they feel they are seeing something impossible? Or do they just appreciate how skilled the performer is?

But this also brings up another question. Say you show someone an effect that is really hard to get down like "Raise Rise. Yes the audience will be impressed but would they be more impressed if you showed them the method? (Keep in mind I would never actually do this and dont reccomend anyone else do it). Knwing the method they would try it and then be like "Wow this person has some amazing skills!" I think this is why flourishing is also interestingto a lay person- Because they can't imagine how it is possible to be that skiled with a deck. I always get comments about flourishes like "Wow man I cant even [riffle] shuffle a deck..."

So overall my question is- what makes magic and flourishing (but mainly magic) so appealing to a lay person?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Ive already wrote a thread on this before.
Its called "Why do you want to see magic?"
Lot of discussion went on there

BTW why is this in the card section? if your speaking about magic in general

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
They're only really getting tricked if you present it like that. If you can make it connect with them or be something else, then it's less of a trick. Take poker demo's, those are less of a trick and more of a routine or demo at how some people CAN cheat at poker.

May 26, 2009
Well , they are amazed because you are able to fool them easily. Some people like to be fool. They don't appreciate your skills but the magic you are performing. They try to figure out a method. For example the Biddle Trick , for the audience , one sec. the card is among the five cards and the other sec. it disappears, for them its true magic. But when it comes to flourishes , they appreciate your skills with cards, its like watching someone doing crazy stunts.

And if you reveal the method to the card tricks, they would be dissapointed by the method and probably won't be amazed again. That's the whole point of doing card tricks, to make other people amaze.

Jun 13, 2009
Israel
Why do people enjoy magic so much

Its like rap, country, pop and classical. We cant all love it all, we all have preferences in the way we choose to enjoy the interpretation of the art of music. Why not magic. Just a fad IMO.

May 4, 2009
I had an interesting conservative with a guy over the weekend. I did some card tricks for him, which he acted really impressed.

He told me he loves magic, but refuses to watch any magicians on tv. He said, "I want to be misdirected by the magician, not the video camera." People just want to see something unusual and out of the ordinary.

byu

Jul 1, 2009
USA
Why people like magic, my opinion

In my opinion, the art of magic and illusion makes people go beyond and think of what's beyond their realm of possibility. Even the simplest card trick, if done properly, will stun and dazzle spectators because they don't expect it.

That's what makes magic so much fun. You get to do things that other people think are beyond the realms of possibility. You get to try things and invent things that people think are impossible.

What more could a person ask for? This is the chance to try new things, to experience the impossible. That's why people enjoy magic so much.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results