My Busking Experience

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Zach, very funny, but I think we could just share a pitch, be tied back to back and just turn around to do the next person's show.

I had the honor of meeting Jimmy Talksalot, a renown street performer with more experience that any of you have brain cells (;)) JUST KIDDING, DON'T HURT ME.

But I went out today, made some money, not a lot, but a good amount of money nonetheless. SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY GUYS, go out there and just try it. This will increase your magic performance by sooo much. You have no idea. This will help your presentation more than you can imagine. you can't just sit around a computer and type about tricks and magic, GET OUT THERE AND PERFORM.

If a 15 1/2 year old is able to do it, I'm usre you guys' can too.

Just kind of yjrowing this out there, if you are going to busk:

Know the laws in your area or area of performance
If on private property, it may be a good thing to ask the owner before collecting hat. (malls, Shopping centers, amuesement parks, etc.)

Jusr some off the cuff tips, now off to tat wonderful lace known as summer school.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I am either going busking today or tomorrow and I have chosen to not get a permit and just claim I didn't knoew about them. The cops in my area also love street performers and rarely will stop buskers, even if they have no permit.

But I was wondering, when you go out busking have you got a license or are you just doing it until a cop asks you to relocate yourself???

Dylan P.

I stick to public parks, so I do not know. Just keep this in mind, public property your friend, Private property ish bad. Private beeing:
Privately owned
(malls, shopping centers, etc. it really just depends with the center)

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Old thread revival, oh well.

I am performing without a permit because I am friends with the cops there and they have even stopped to watch my show. I am performing without a permit and intend to do so until I get asked to move.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS, try to get a permit first though and see how strict things are...the LAST ting you want is to have the law against you

Old thread revival, oh well.

I am performing without a permit because I am friends with the cops there and they have even stopped to watch my show. I am performing without a permit and intend to do so until I get asked to move.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS ALWAYS, try to get a permit first though and see how strict things are...the LAST ting you want is to have the law against you

That's what I am doing to. I did some busking last night and made 20 bucks in 30 minutes.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
like I said in your thread- you should be making more. You did a trickle show- which is alright for starting out...but what you really need is a solid routine.

3 of your best tricks- each one building in strength. This is what Jimmy Talksalot told me.

3 tricks-

your best best best trick goes at the end
your crappy trick goes in the middle
your 2nd best trick goes in the beginning.

If you need help structuring your routine or ideas feel free to PM or IM me

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Reviving an old thread, but I didn't wanna start another one.

So I got my permit for Balboa Park, got the best spot in the park, very happy about that!

I will be there tomorrow (sunday) from about 12- 4 depending on the weather and how many people are there.

Come out if you can, I will report back to tell you guys about my busking tomorrow, haven't done it in a month, so it should be very fun getting back into it!

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Well, first day back in a month,WOOOOO boy, I was rusty. I ends up with only 120 for a good 4 hours of performing. I coulda made more. Sleeveless, Stephen Sloan, is a professional street performer who watched my show and critqued it and gave me a LOT of good advice that I will share with you guys cause I think it's beneficial to everyone.

1) Dont perform a trick for a child first in your show. I used to use Spongeballs with kids, and it was good, but people thought I was performing for kids only, and not taking me seriously as a street perormer. So that's now in the middle of my show.

2) NO NO NO jokes putting myself down. He liked a few and they fit, but I had to cut a lot. Being teenagers and kids, we already have a lot going against us. People underestimate (and why shouldn't they?) our abilities as performers because of our age, so I have to work against without even saying anything. They NEED to see confidence.

2 1/2). Confidence!!!! You KNOW they are going to stop and watch you, you KNOW they are going to laugh and enjoy themselves, and you KNOW they will pay. Go out and know what the hell you are doing. This means SCRIPT YOUR SHOW!!! Scripting is one of the most important things you can do and I honestly think I'm one of the few kid performers who scripts his show. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but SCRIPTING your show is what you need to do.

3) SLOW DOWN AND TIGHTEN UP PHYSICALLY!!!!!!! When performing you need to slow down immensely, almost when it's even uncomfortable to do it. A minute on stage is a hour to the audience most of the time. Tightening up physically means that you can't move around as much. Moving around is distracting and the audience can't follow you, be anchored at your spot and work with the wand as an extension of your arm and as a pointer to gesture. Everything we watch is through a tv screen, computer screen, iPod screen. It's all in a little box not doing a lot of moving. That's what you need to do, limit yourself in gestures and moving. You can move around and interact, but make sure it has a reason!

4) HAT LINE BEFORE BIG REVELATION! I personally end my show with Gazzo's Tossed Out Deck (I highly recommend by the way) and I used to reveal all the cards amazingly and all, but my hatline was awkward after the big finish. So I moved it to right before I revealed the last person's card, and who woulda guessed, my hats were getting bigger and bigger. So the placement of the hatline is VERY important for how much money you make.

That's most of everything (the rest was personal stuff) that I learns today, and it WORKS! I hope you guys learned from this! It did wonders for me. So my first day back was 120 for a couple of hours. I'll be using this thread all September while I perform. Talk to you guys soon

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results