Paper Crane Magic | New Effect :: Digital Conviction

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Paper Crane has a new effect on their site. Check it out:

DIGITAL CONVICTION - Robert Smith

Digital Conviction is an amazing effect that can be performed anywhere and anytime with all borrowed objects. Everything is completely ungimmicked and examinable and the spectator keeps a souvenir that will surely make you unforgettable.

Here is what happens in the effect. You approach the spectator and remove a joker or any card out of the deck. "We will use this as the wild card but we'll get back to that in a moment. Please will you select any card?" The spectator has a free choice of any card, nothing is forced. The selected card then gets lost in the deck. "Let’s get back to the Joker." You remove the joker and place their initials on the corner of the joker. "Remember the joker is the wild card. Let’s make this moment more memorable and take a picture." You now borrow their camera phone and take a picture of the joker with their initials. The spectator confirms that the picture on the camera phone is the initialed joker. The phone is immediately handed to the spectator and placed face down in their hand. "If I take the joker that we just took a picture of and give it a shake you can see that it changes to your selected card". With a closer examination the spectator sees that her initials are now on the selected card. Now you go in for the kill. "If that card changed in my hand then the picture in your hand should have changed too…" BIG reaction as the spectator just realized that they saw you take a picture of a joker with THEIR initials on it and it changed to their selected card with their initials on it.

This effect is huge and it's a worker.

Here are a few important points to remember:

~Uses no gimmicks
~Easy to do
~Freely chosen card
~Uses all borrowed objects
~Requires no setup
~Use any phone with a camera function
~Also as an added bonus you will receive an additional bonus effect using cards and a camera phone.

Looks like a pretty amazing effect.

Thoughts?

May 31, 2008
Sounds interesting. Kind of reminds me of "Carbon Paper" by Jay Sankey. Do they have a video? I can't get the page to load, I'm on my iTouch.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I know as much as you do. You could wait until it's released and wait for some reviews to pop up. Or you could ask your questions in here and maybe Shaun can answer them.

Apr 1, 2009
California
that's what my main intention was, to wait for reviews.

I'm assuming though, that this can be done with more than cards?

Oct 3, 2007
germany
can be performed anywhere and anytime with all borrowed objects.

I'm guessing (and hoping I guess) this means that you can use more than just cards for the phone part... But it might just be referring to that you can use any telephone... I suppose we'll have to wait for the reviews either way :p

May 31, 2008
Ok, I just watched the video. I expected the effect to be fidgety, but it actually looks pretty smooth. I've got enough stuff though, so I'll pass.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm guessing (and hoping I guess) this means that you can use more than just cards for the phone part... But it might just be referring to that you can use any telephone... I suppose we'll have to wait for the reviews either way :p

ah. I mean, what I got of that was that all the items used in the trick can be borrowed. That's how I read it anyway. But judging from the routine, it looks as though with some brainstorming, this technique of his could be used for many different items. Just my guess.

Dec 26, 2007
Here is the first review of DC reprinted for the magic cafe
Review:

Well... Mobile phone magic has been getting more and more popular as mobile phones get more and more advanced. However, being able to find an effect that was half decent that could use a spectators borrowed phone has been somewhat of a pipedream. Robert Smith has just unblocked that pipe and now the creative juices are flowing!

Firstly, as with any good download, the production quality of this is brilliant. Different Camera angles, and even a willing “spectator” to help out. One thing I love about this particular download is that everything keeps pace. No interruptions with fancy titles. The titles are there as the video keeps playing. Everything is fantastically well taught and nothing has gone unnoticed in the filming and the production. You won’t miss a thing. Every sleight, move and action is well covered.

The effect itself is devilishly simple in method and yet incredibly clever. Now, I’m not going to lie in saying, I believe a couple of people may have issues with a particular aspect of the effect but there is absolutely no need to. Every, absolutely everything is this effect has been so incredibly thought out and every move is very well justified that everything slots together perfectly. It will take a little practise to get everything perfect and with each different phone you use, there will be different things to alter or change but with experience, everything will gradually get smoother and smoother.
Each phone used will be different, but of course they have this covered as well and take you through some funky tips and tricks for different phones. And lastly, Robert gives us a little tricky treat at the end of the DVD which could work well in conjunction with Conviction.

This effect is something I’ve been waiting for, for a very long time. A simple, hard hitting, impossible, multiple hitting, borrowed object, practical piece of magic. An effect I will defiantly be using when the opportunity knocks and I think paper crane and Robert smith and a huge winner on their hands. A fantastic effect and one I recommend every Street magician close up, table hopping or ever parlour magician should know. An all round stunner from PaperCraneProductions!

http://www.papercranemagic.com/digitalconviction.htm

Jamie Daws

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results