Toronto Magicians - Let's do this.

(mods, I do hope this is being posted in the right area. If it is not, you are welcome to move it.)

I'm a 22 year old magician who has been doing magic for around 3 years (if I'm not going to cheat and say my discovery of a magic kit at age 9 counts as "doing magic").

I think many of us here are guilty of sitting back and talking about magic and practicing a whole lot more than actually doing magic. It makes sense too, practicing moves is so much easier than working on performing ability. It's hard even to talk about improving your showmanship, since it tends to involve relatively vague and personality specific stuff.

So, I'm looking to find some Toronto magicians who are interested in meeting on a regular basis to improve their performing ability and performing style, as well as performing for real people on a regular basis. There can be move trading as well, of course, but the emphasis will be on real live performance and presentation more than anything else. I do have video equipment, so routines can be taped close up, on stage, or in the street in front of spectators. These would be primarily for learning purposes, but okay okay if you're really proud of your work you can absolutely post it somewhere.

I find magic to be a lonely pursuit sometimes. Because it requires so much work and practice, it's a hard thing to just push upon your friends. The magic community does exist, but it tends to be made up of the parts of the magic community people hate, or it is just a group of bitter people who hate the community :p.

I also want to fool around with the idea of a routine involving one or more other magicians, where we could share the spotlight for once. I think in all venues other than stage magic, this type of thing has not been adequately explored. With the right personalities and the right presentation, it could totally work.

Nitty gritty details? Well you'll have to live in or near Toronto, and you should be able to meet every week or every two weeks. Age doesn't matter, nor does your level of skill. I work primarily with cards, but there's no reason why you need to specialize in them. Those of you who don't live in Toronto, I'm sorry... let me know when you're coming to town!

PM me for more information.

May 3, 2008
I completely agree with you. I don't get why some magicians spend some much money time and effort into practicing magic when they're never going to perform.

Unfortunately, I live in Colorado. Sorry.

Cheers,
Charlie

It's an easy trap to fall into... Obviously plenty of practice is required whenever you learn a new effect and you should never do the "learn it and perform an hour later" thing, but it's way too easy to convince yourself that you need more work and not end up performing it.

This can be done with good intentions too, one can be too absorbed in practicing out of not wanting to blow any secrets. It can also be driven by cowardice...

The hard part is always the presentational aspect for me. Not so much the getting the guts to perform, but the "okay, how can this NOT sound really lame" stuff. Magicians often guard their patter very jealously... and the patter provided with a trick is often not appropriate to many personalities too. Yet, there are very few sources dedicated towards shaping truly interesting presentations (I know, I've read a few... they make up a very small portion of the magical canon though).

Sep 1, 2007
I'm down, PM when you get a chance. I'll send you my contact info. Don't know if you know, but there some regular working street magi down at Dundas Square. Pretty cool, very artistic routines (their own versions of classic effects). You should check them out when you get a chance :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results