To Patter or Not To Patter...

Apr 1, 2009
California
I used the search engine, could not find anything to match my question.

So, I'm going to be sitting down and scripting certain effects, working on originality in both patter and presentation, just to come up with a solid foundation to work with, when I perform.

Enough of that, now comes the question:

In your own opinion, when do you feel a piece of magic needs no patter, so to speak, and to just let the effect speak for itself, so to speak?

I'm not putting down performance and story telling, you can do both without speaking, ask Charlie Chaplin. What I'm trying to say is, sometimes I feel it is unnecessary to verbalize what you are trying to say, to get the best reaction out of certain works. A specific sort of effect I'm talking about, but I won't drop hints, so as to not influence opinions.

The effect should have to speak for itself, of course, you're the manipulator afterall.

In summary, where do you draw the line in your verbalization?

Sep 1, 2007
The effect should have to speak for itself, of course, you're the manipulator afterall.

It won't. It depends entirely on you. Art can't speak for itself because everyone just projects onto it. The creator has to speak for himself.

That said, the best scripting is compressed, witty, and concise. Silence must be timed and measured to create the proper amount of tension and anticipation. Very few people have the true gift of the gab.

Apr 1, 2009
California
oh, sorry, that was actually a typo... I meant to say shouldn't.

proof of that is in the fact that it makes more sense with the rest of the sentence.

I'm not putting down performance and story telling, you can do both without speaking, ask Charlie Chaplin.

I'd rather not thank you... If I ever found myself in a conversation about anything with Charlie Chaplin I'd probably run away in terror, seeing how he's dead and all.

In your own opinion, when do you feel a piece of magic needs no patter, so to speak, and to just let the effect speak for itself, so to speak?

Honestly, It depends on the act. I've seen the linking rings done silent to music and again to verbal patter. Both variations have been beautiful in the hands of the people that performed them.

I think really you need to consider all the factors that are going into your production.

If you are going to not use patter; Then your effect needs to be clear, and understandable from start to finish. The effect needs to convey a complete story with three discernible portions: Opening, Middle, and End. If you use music, then your selection needs to complement the magic and not over power or take away from it. If you plan on working the act professionally then you need to make sure the music is public domain, or original.

If you are going to use patter; Then your lines must be rehearsed, memorized, and executed flawlessly. Don't stutter, don't stammer, and remove the usage of words like "Uh", "Like", and "Um" from your vocabulary. You should be able to recite your lines and perform your act in your sleep, so as to free up your mind to focus on more important things during your performance like audience control and reading. You should write some sub-routines in advance such as quipy, or witty comebacks to possible frequently heckled lines. Avoid using too many "stock" magicians jokes. IE: "Don't want to change your mind? Happy with the one you got." Etc. Like the silent act, you still need to have a clear opening, middle, and end to your routine.

Just my thoughts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results