Is flourishing necessary in Card Magic?

May 26, 2009
Do you think flourishing helps in doing card magic, i know a couple of flourishes that are also false cuts. Do you think it's necessary for me to learn more of them ?

Jul 14, 2008
I think card flourishing is very impressive to laymen to show off your skills. However, use it when you are controlling their selection to the top or to the bottom on your performance. If you are a cardistry lover, it's really up to you to desire to learn more, but not for card magic.

Sep 1, 2007
No. In many cases flourishes only take away from magic. Never have I seen flourishes making the magic any better.

Flourishes have their uses though. For example, if you need to get the attention of a group flourishes are a very powerful way to get people intrested. In most cases the spring and a couple of fans are more than enough. When I know I have their attention I stop doing all flourishes immediately.

I used to do flourishes when I performed magic. I'm happy to say that I grew out of it.

Well i know that Dai Vernon,never learned Sybil,but those were other times.!
You know we are youngs,and we are in 2009,and the art of magic is going to evolve everyday!

A flourishing in card magic is not necessary,but,it also can better your perfomance,but it also depend,of what kind of act you are going to do..

Aug 31, 2007
Absolutely not necessary.
However, I think that.............well, there are some handlings of how you handle a card OR cards can make the performance look better. (That's my thoughts)

Nov 8, 2008
U.S.
Well, look at it this way. SOME flourishes can be used in magic, like a ribbon spread, fan, or pirouette. A small and somewhat fancy cut (not like sybil), but say, like Benjamin Earl's Aston, can be used as a nice card production. Provided they are motivated, a fan or ribbon spread can add some elegance to your magic.

Sep 1, 2007
You know we are youngs,and we are in 2009,and the art of magic is going to evolve everyday!

And that is an excuse for learning **** I have no interest in?

A flourishing in card magic is not necessary,but,it also can better your perfomance,but it also depend,of what kind of act you are going to do..

Examples.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Flourshing can be used to showcase your talent and to boost your image as an entertainer. Think of it as using the appropriate lighting in a museum to match the art you have hanging on the walls, where misuse of the lights or over use of the lights can completely take away from the experience of viewing the art on wall.

A few flourishes "performed for yourself" to rope some spectators in (this must / should be done humbly as if you do it 24/7, not for the sake of showing off), is not bad at all, however when you enter the tricks, leave the flourishes out and just perform your trick.

If you are wanting to show off your flourishing, which is totally cool, do it as a separate act from your magic, as they are indeed two different things.

May 1, 2009
UK
Flourishing

If your a Card Shark then yes Flourishing is well suited to this as you are showing how skilled you are at Sleight Of Hand (with a deck of cards). If your a Magician some flourishes look natural looking, so to go over the top with flourishing while showing an effect. it's going to take away the magical effect in the spectators mind, too show how skilled you are with a deck of cards. So anything you show that spectator is not magical, so if that spectator has paid money to see magic i think they would be disappointed. other wise they would have paid to see a pro Card Shark.

And that is an excuse for learning **** I have no interest in?
What's that for "****"??

But however,that's your choise, learning flourishes,or some Xcm cannot decrease you but only increase your skills.

But if are the kind of old magician... well that' your choise.

For Exemple Jeff mcbride is one of the biggest magician,he also uses flourishes.Are you going to tell him the same sentence..

Sep 1, 2007
For Exemple Jeff mcbride is one of the biggest magician,he also uses flourishes.Are you going to tell him the same sentence..

Don't compare webcam wankers to Jeff McBride. That's a ****ing insult.

Now prepare for a revelation. I actually do practice XCM casually. They're useful exercises for keeping my hands flexible. But I don't use them in my act because it would be retarded. I portray a scholar and chronicler of the occult, the paranormal, and the weird. Why on earth would I bust out a Sybil in the middle of a seance?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results