Anxious when performing?

Jul 9, 2009
Some times when I perfor I get anxious and mess up. I practice so much. Any thing that helps? Any body else have this problem?

Don't let it get it you down.. stay with it and in time & with experience you'll overcome most of the anxiety.. i can't speak for anyone else but personally those nerves never completely go away - in time though - they help you to keep your focus..

the way i look at it - if you're not at least a little nervous - you're probably over confident and that's when you get sloppy =)

stick with it & you'll learn to make that anxiety work for you..

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
As the people above have said, just perform more.
That feeling of anxiety and nervousness does fade eventually. But it takes a lot to get to it sometimes.
The more you perform, the higher your confidence will get, and the less nervous you'll be.

For example.. in high school, I played golf. I was always so nervous for the first tournament of the year. We were the home team and there was a lot of pressure there. But, after that first tourny, I was totally fine.

Sure, there will be times down the line when you'll be more nervous than other times but all you can do is remember that you know what you're doing.. take a deep breath to get the shakes out.. and just perform.
And if you mess up, keep going! No body knows the trick but you so don't let it frazzle you. Just turn the trick into something else.

But anyways.. yeah. the only remedy is to perform as much as you can. I'm sure everyone here, as well as me, can relate to what your saying. Those nerves are inevitable in the beginning.
Best of luck! :]

Jul 9, 2009
One thing that I found that really helps, is pretend the spectators aren't even there, and when you practice, pretend the spectators ARE there.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Some times when I perform I get anxious and mess up.

A lot of people on the forums here do that and won't admit it. They get anxious and just run through the trick as fast as possible. Not messing up the trick itself, but the patter.

I've seen millions of youtube videos that have guys performing on "the street" and they just rush through the trick. Yeah, they did the trick correctly, but it was only a trick since they totally blew their presentation they should have been practicing along with it. That's another story I'll get back to some other time.

Here's my advice for you though. Take a deep breathe, know what you want to do, and go for it.
You got nothing to lose.

Sep 2, 2007
also; script your tricks and act them out. like a play. when I'm on stage, sure I'm nervous, but everything is so natural that it doesn't matter.

another tip is that, while practicing, go through your patter. ten minutes of dedicated practice > twelve hours of fiddling with card

by dedicated practice I mean going through patter. your practice is more effective when you are talking and maybe have some music on then just being silent.

Jul 9, 2009
One thing that I found that really helps, is pretend the spectators aren't even there, and when you practice, pretend the spectators ARE there.

this sounds like a good idea. when i practice i look AMAZING. ill keep this in mind and all the other comments. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Some times when I perfor I get anxious and mess up. I practice so much. Any thing that helps? Any body else have this problem?

You dont mess up because your lacking practice.Being in the eye of a crowd gets to people. The ONLY thing that helps you is to perform alot.
Something you can do that will really help is to go up to people at the mall,bookstores,whatever and just start conversations.Dont perform magic at all. Get used to speaking to strangers and it will get alot easier when doing magic.
You perform street magic,I presume?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
A lot of people on the forums here do that and won't admit it. They get anxious and just run through the trick as fast as possible. Not messing up the trick itself, but the patter.

I've seen millions of youtube videos that have guys performing on "the street" and they just rush through the trick. Yeah, they did the trick correctly, but it was only a trick since they totally blew their presentation they should have been practicing along with it.
Those are people that preach that their performance style is "being themselves" yet never have I once actually seen any of their character or personality.
Magic is theatre,steerpike has said it a million times.

Now dont get me wrong,the way I perform is the same.Im being myself.
But im showing them who I am and what I believe and want them to think about when I do.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Mike Ammar had some great advice about this.

First before you perform, I want you to inhale and exhale deeply and slowly through your nose. That should help calm your nerves down a bit.

Next, I want to imagine that the show/routine's/whatever is going to go over extremely well and without a hitch. (This is usually what Athletes tend to do before a big game.)

Also shaking your hands really fast should do the trick as well after all the stuff too.

Jul 9, 2009
You dont mess up because your lacking practice.Being in the eye of a crowd gets to people. The ONLY thing that helps you is to perform alot.
Something you can do that will really help is to go up to people at the mall,bookstores,whatever and just start conversations.Dont perform magic at all. Get used to speaking to strangers and it will get alot easier when doing magic.
You perform street magic,I presume?

If u consider dan and dave-ish magic street magic, then yea LOL

Jul 8, 2009
I am new to the site and fairly new to magic. I too get nervous, shaky when performing. I am also a low handicap golfer and play tournaments. I am begining to see alot of similiarties. Anyone who golfs knows that people almost visibly shake on the first tee. I think it is fear of looking bad. When I began golf I was the same way. Now I do not think of it. The reason is that I am confident in my abilities and I have done it many, many, many times. Also, I know I am a good golfer and even if things don't go well on the first shot that does not change the fact that I am a good golfer. As I get into magic I see alot of similarties. One other thing--good golfers don't think about lots of swing thoughts---they just pick a target and rely on muscle memory. I am thinking magic is the same---don't be focused on your moves---just do them. Thanks

Actually I've performed in front of thousands of people for the past 10 years, I've done atleast 500 stage acts and over a 1000 private gigs and I'm nervous before every show. My nervousness doesn't come from the fear of messing up my tricks, hitting my que's, stumbling over my own words, equipment malfunction, etc; it comes from a place inside of me where I always want to be my best everytime I perform and I fear that I won't measure up to my own standards. Nervousness is natural, you need to perform alot and learn to harness that emotion and make it work for you. Danny Garcia told me one day that before his performances he gets shaky hands alot and he tends to dangle his hands loosely back and forth to get the blood flow to hands before he go's on. I usually have a zen moment where I pretend the audience isn't even there with my eye's shut and I'm back in my room practicing this gets me in the frame of mind I should be in. Also it's very important before a performance to do alot of Card manipulation, shuffles, retention vanishes, you get the point to warm your tendons up and loosen them up this helps with the nervousness. Remember to take your time and SLOW down and remember what your there to do and do it. These are the things I think of right before I perform. Hope this helps. Good luck!:)

Mar 2, 2008
Have confidence when you perform, when people ask to see a trick, it's more then half time that they want to see a trick

the confidence comes with pratice, once you feel confident with your performance

(trick and presintation)

After time you will be have those feelings go away.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results