WINDOW by David Stone - AWESOME

May 31, 2008
Yes, simply put, awesome. I was quite hesitant in ordering WINDOW, because of the price tag, but now that I've done it I'm quite happy.

Gimmick:

The gimmick is a heavily modified version of a classic gimmick, which if it isn't exposure I'll post the name of. It isn't fragile at all, but you still shouldn't go tossing it around and stepping on it. The gimmick could, theoretically be re-made, but it would be incredibly time-consuming and tedious. If someone were to look at the gimmick, they could probably figure out the effect. That's probably why they don't sell refills. The gimmick is not clunky at all, and is incredibly convenient to set up. In fact, most of the set up is done in front of spectators. There are two parts to the gimmick one on your side of the glass, and one on the other side of the glass. The gimmick can be noisy though and it could be seen without the right angles.

8/10

Effect:

This isn't so much a card through window as it is a card change or card transpo through window. None-the-less it's incredibly visual and looks like a camera trick, even when done live. I don't use any of the presentations in the DVD, I came up with my own, which is sort of a failed prediction effect.

9/10

DVD/Teaching:

The quality and editing in the DVD is great, no complaints. One thing to know is that the teaching is silent, which can be somewhat annoying. You'll have to re-watch to figure out what to do.

7/10

Difficulty:

Took me a very short time to get down. I was really excited to get this, so I practice for about five or six hours straight. It can be somewhat difficult if you have small hands, but that problem is solved if you use a silk handkerchief or bandanna.

4/10---1 being Do-As-I-Do-self-working, 10 being Raise-Rise-knuckle-busting.

Overall:

Get it, you will not regret it. Most card through window mechanisms are $300 dollars, WINDOW is more than your average effect, but it's still well worth it. I do want to talk a little bit about the price though. The gimmick doesn't seem like it would cost more than a few dollars to make. I figured that because it's hand-made, that's the reason it costs so much. Then I remembered that Michael Ammar's "Moving Pips Cards" are also hand-made, but are very cheap. Just a little rant there. Get this right now, you won't regret it.

8.5/10 Get it.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I've Always Loved CTW and David Stone is an Amazing magician im sure this is worth it. I will pick this up when i have the money hopefully though i think i have enough stuff to study for now!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I am a huge fan of the ctw, but this does not look like my cup of tea...but time will tell.

V.

Jan 28, 2009
This effect is absolute gold. Sure it may be figurable out by a magician, but laypeople go absolutely nuts.

The only issue I have with it is working it into a walk around routine, lol. It's one of those effects that lends itself naturally to walking around the street in phone boxes etc. It's not really one that lends itself to being used in any other way.

Therein lies the problem.

Other than that, this is ridiculous, and the inventiveness in putting it together is absolutely awesome.

Well worth the money. Great method, very simple to do, and is a total and utter mind blower when people see it.

Sep 9, 2007
my beef is with the way they market it:

FULL OVERVIEW

FINALLY, YOU CAN CHANGE A CARD THAT IS BEHIND GLASS.

WINDOW by David Stone is not like anything else.

Card through glass effects cost upward of $300 and usually require complicated setups or bizarre gimmicks. Until now it’s been difficult to gain visual appeal and still keep your wallet full.

The trick plays out in real life exactly like the trailer. Watch yourself do it in the mirror and rip your eyes out.

There are six routines given in the DVD but you'll come up with your own.

Basically, a selected card penetrates the glass, then changes into a different selected card while that one is behind glass.

so yeah, after you get it, you realize the copy is right, but very misleading.

It sounds like you're getting a card through window, when really, all you're getting is a color change through window.

and the worst part about it is, the nature of the gimmick means you can't really preface it with a CTW (at least not any CTW's I know of). I'd love to explain why, but that would tell you more about the gimmick than I'd like.

Suffice to say you kinda just gotta start the trick off like "There's a card taped on the other side of the glass....."

also, the entire video being taught in mime was rather annoying. I would have preferred french. And I guess subtitles for those of you who don't speak it.

May 14, 2009
I don't like this trick. Very visual, but I don't think it a card throug window effect. :D:p

May 31, 2008
I don't like this trick. Very visual, but I don't think it a card throug window effect. :D:p

If you read the review, you would've seen that I mentioned that. When you buy the effect you get access to a special forum on E. In this forum I have started thread with my presentation that gives a reason for the transpo and everything. I highly recommend the effect..

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
how is this NOT a card through window effect? You have spectator select a card, you "put it through the window" and then you change it.

If you are presenting it like "hey look at this card on the other side of the glass. Watch it change!" you are presenting it wrong. People will assume that it's a trick card. They will think it's cool, but you will be missing the point of the effect.

It is not the type of card through window effect where the card appears there while they are watching it. It the 'original' effect. Watch DB perform it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au07REIi6GM

First you do something like that, then you change it.

It's card through window.

j

May 31, 2008
how is this NOT a card through window effect? You have spectator select a card, you "put it through the window" and then you change it.

If you are presenting it like "hey look at this card on the other side of the glass. Watch it change!" you are presenting it wrong. People will assume that it's a trick card. They will think it's cool, but you will be missing the point of the effect.

It is not the type of card through window effect where the card appears there while they are watching it. It the 'original' effect. Watch DB perform it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au07REIi6GM

j

That's a totally different effect.

Sep 9, 2007

j

wrong. the first part (putting it through the window) isn't really addressed.

they make it sound like "you don't need another expensive card through window", but in reality, you actually do to set this one up. This is only a color change through window.

And you can patter around it all you want, but bottom line, the setup involves the card being there, taped to the window.

On top of that, one my other major annoyances is that other CTW's involve magician's wax or some other means of sticking the card to the other side of the window that look more like it's "just stuck there" when you throw the cards at the window. With the tape it's like "wtf? where did the tape come from?"

The tape not only makes the trick look "set up", it likely means other CTW's won't work to get it ready for this effect. I can't even fathom how to set this up with another CTW being that the card needs to be taped there.

Again though. the concept behind the gimmick is a good one, but this effect has a long way to go...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
If you read the review, you would've seen that I mentioned that. When you buy the effect you get access to a special forum on E. In this forum I have started thread with my presentation that gives a reason for the transpo and everything. I highly recommend the effect..

I agree, there are ways to justify this trick, but I'm still irritated it's being marketed as a CTW, when it's really not. That, and I just can't think of a way to justify it that is my style.

Again, they don't outright lie, and the trailer never show him putting the card through the window, but the copy is somewhat misleading.

Whatever. I've sold my copy off to someone else.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It's an OK DVD and really the idea is neat, the problem is that you paid 80 bucks for a small gimmick and about 15 min of performance and 4 min of instruction. It is a good effect that just needs the right opportunity to perform it. Also on E they mention that you should put it above eye level and rather than throwing the cards at the window, you simply make it look like the card just appeared there.

Jul 8, 2009
I agree that Window is not really a CTW trick. I think it is a neat gimmick and it looks like real magic. The opportunity to use it will be very limited for me. Anyone suggest a CTW they recommend. Thanks

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I agree that Window is not really a CTW trick. I think it is a neat gimmick and it looks like real magic. The opportunity to use it will be very limited for me. Anyone suggest a CTW they recommend. Thanks

My favorite CTW out there right now is KAOS by Sean Beard.

I also recommend checking out CTW by David Forrest, the set-up is well worth the end result.

V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 12, 2008
If you watch the preview video or if you own the effect, you'll see that David DOES teach a CTW-type effect.

He has a "?" piece of paper taped to the window, which he pulls off to reveal a card taped to the window. He uses a fan in each hand to transport the card THRU the window, where the spec can feel that the card has gone THROUGH the window. Then one of the fans is used to switch the card.

It's one of the more difficult effects on the DVD (for those who have trouble with a simple two-handed fan - let alone, a fan in each hand) but it's a VERY beautiful effect in David's hands.

So, in summary, is WINDOW a purely CTW effect? No.
Is there a CTW effect taught on the DVD? YES.

May 1, 2009
UK
Window

I don't understand half of you say this is NOT a CTW effect, watch the demo of Window on www.Ellusionist.com, this is how it is being advertised as a CTW effect with a Colour Change while the card is still behind the window. It also says there are six routines given on the DVD, so for anyone that has Window does the DVD teach the CTW effect & how well? thanks.

Feb 12, 2008
I don't understand half of you say this is NOT a CTW effect, watch the demo of Window on www.Ellusionist.com, this is how it is being advertised as a CTW effect with a Colour Change while the card is still behind the window. It also says there are six routines given on the DVD, so for anyone that has Window does the DVD teach the CTW effect & how well? thanks.

So...I guess you missed this :p

Brakkiss said:
If you watch the preview video or if you own the effect, you'll see that David DOES teach a CTW-type effect.

He has a "?" piece of paper taped to the window, which he pulls off to reveal a card taped to the window. He uses a fan in each hand to transport the card THRU the window, where the spec can feel that the card has gone THROUGH the window. Then one of the fans is used to switch the card.

It's one of the more difficult effects on the DVD (for those who have trouble with a simple two-handed fan - let alone, a fan in each hand) but it's a VERY beautiful effect in David's hands.

So, in summary, is WINDOW a purely CTW effect? No.
Is there a CTW effect taught on the DVD? YES.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results