Closing "Portal"

Jan 29, 2008
MPLS, MN
www.maydey.com
Guys & Gals,

I just wanted to share with you a very small idea I had for the end sequence for the effect "Portal" from Dan & Dave's andthensome.

There have already been many posts proclaiming that this move is not necessary to be used, and thus may take away from the effect [towards a/the spectator(s)]. May I remind you this is just an idea I had, which was inspired from "Card Across" from The Trilogy by Dan & Dave Buck. Please, tell me what you think, whether it be positive, negative or constructive criticism. Thank you in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Iu9wVP-e0

Blessings,

Josh

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Or, instead of trying to learn this knuckle-busting cuts, you can interact with your spectator a little bit and have them pull the card out from the spread... The "no-way" thought they will have as they pull out the card will be much greater than watching the magic happen in your hands.

Maybe I would perform it this way for a camera, but that's about the most mileage I would get from it.

Please don't take this personally.

With respect,

-Sanj

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
wow your a dan and dave clone

Really lilstunna? REALLY? If you don't have any constructive feedback or advice you want to give to this guy who took the time out of his busy days to film a tutorial to help the magic community, then just don't say anything. Seriously, this is why I have stopped coming to these forums as much as I used to...

Just have some respect, that's all I ask.

-Sanj

Sep 1, 2007
USA
That was a really nice idea.

While I probably won't use it for portal, I'll probably incorporate it into some other trick in my repertoire

Jun 10, 2008
Keene, TX
That's a pretty sweet move! Thanks for sharing! Great video too!
And here I was just turning my left hand palm down to show the outjogged card.

S

SuicideBoy555

good stuff

-Jon R.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SuicideBoy555

wow.

Really lilstunna? REALLY? If you don't have any constructive feedback or advice you want to give to this guy who took the time out of his busy days to film a tutorial to help the magic community, then just don't say anything. Seriously, this is why I have stopped coming to these forums as much as I used to...

-Sanj

Hey ok this is funny.
You defended him for being a Dan and Dave clone.

Which he clearly is!
But, Lets say if he was a d+M "clone" everyone would BASH HIM!

biggest double standard ever.

-Jon R.

Jan 29, 2008
MPLS, MN
www.maydey.com
Wow,

Sorry guys for using my voice, filiming a tutorial for an idea that I had, and producing a higher quality video than most of you kids out there. Sorry for being inspired by the visual card magic of Dan and Dave Buck, and sorry for liking the way the Buck's produce videos. There sure are a lot of haters and hipocrytes on this forum, which is a huge reason why I never browse these forums.

I can guarantee that 80% or more of you kids out there learn tricks and use the exact same handlings, patter as the orginiator - and you know it.

I'm not hating on you guys - most of you just need to face the facts and get over it.

Blessings,

Josh

S

SuicideBoy555

Wow,

Sorry guys for using my voice, filiming a tutorial for an idea that I had, and producing a higher quality video than most of you kids out there. Sorry for being inspired by the visual card magic of Dan and Dave Buck, and sorry for liking the way the Buck's produce videos. There sure are a lot of haters and hipocrytes on this forum, which is a huge reason why I never browse these forums.

I can guarantee that 80% or more of you kids out there learn tricks and use the exact same handlings, patter as the orginiator - and you know it.

I'm not hating on you guys - most of you just need to face the facts and get over it.

Blessings,

Josh

I totally agree.
I was just simply disliking the fact that someone can say "Hey leave him alone he likes DB2"

while on the other hand when it comes to my videos its "wow, get original, you d+M clone."
I just thought it was funny how hypicritical people can be.

Personally i liked the way you prdoced your video, As I am a fan of DB2 aswell and your stuff too. So I wasn't hating on you at all. (didn't want confusion)

-Jon R.

Hey ok this is funny.
You defended him for being a Dan and Dave clone.

I don't think he was defending him for being a clone. While yes, the video was heavily influenced by the D&D style, he was still contributing to the community by giving people a tutorial on a different way to end an effect. I believe he was pointing out how stupid the comment was. He offered nothing constructive. Nothing to help the individual in any way.

Which he clearly is!
But, Lets say if he was a d+M "clone" everyone would BASH HIM!

biggest double standard ever.

-Jon R.

Wouldn't matter whose style the video was in, the point is he contributed. That seems to be what you're missing. His video isn't about the style it's done in, it's about the tutorial & idea he's contributing to the community. Your video wasn't about contributing, it was just about you. We didn't watch your video to see d+M, we watched it to see you, but a lot of people feel that they got d+M instead. Personally, it matters not to me. How you choose to act is completely up to you. The most any of us can do is offer advice on how to better yourself, you choose to take it or pass it by.

I thought the tutorial wasn't half bad. I don't do portal myself, but I can see using this for other effects.

S

SuicideBoy555

Yup

Yes I realize he contributed and I know I missed to say that but only because I was shocked at the double standard. His tutorial was so good. So so good. I stated I liked it when I commented the 1st time.

I think that reguardless if you contribute something or not.
Why get to the point of being a clone?? If they feel they saw d+M style through a black t shirt and my performance of his flourishes from my video (which contained no flashy editing like d+M, no beat like d+m uses, and d+m wasn't in the vid, then w/e)

As Josh stated: "I can guarantee that 80% or more of you kids out there learn tricks and use the exact same handlings, patter as the orginiator - and you know it."

-Jon R.
get over it!

Mar 26, 2008
Los Angeles

-Sanj

it is feedback,im telling him to get his own personality. i never said it was a bad idea and i like that hes helping everyone out with a cool idea but why just act like a clone when you can just be yourself.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Try to have some emotion in your voice. Magic is fun and you should at least try to make it sound as if you enjoy doing it. You have the skills, you're just not putting them to good use.

Suicideboy555, stop complaining. We know that some people called you a d+m clone, you even posted a thread about it. This thread is not about you. You don't have to bring it up every post.

May 1, 2009
UK
Portal

The effect itself reminded me of David Regals "Leap of Faith", David Forrest has a variation of "Leap of Faith" called "Quantum Leap" if you like "Portal" check them out. Nice vid i think if you showed this to other magicians into XCM they would appreciate it more then laymen. I also think when you add XCM to magic it's does not get the same reactions as magic itself.

S

SuicideBoy555

hmmmmmm

Try to have some emotion in your voice. Magic is fun and you should at least try to make it sound as if you enjoy doing it. You have the skills, you're just not putting them to good use.

Suicideboy555, stop complaining. We know that some people called you a d+m clone, you even posted a thread about it. This thread is not about you. You don't have to bring it up every post.

Right, ok.

-Jon R.

Jan 29, 2008
MPLS, MN
www.maydey.com
Whew,

It's pretty lame how much 'heat' and negative criticsm both here on Theory 11 and my YouTube channel via comments for trying to share with some of you a technique. It just makes me think, "Why do I even make [videos] for these people if what they do in return is not even be appreciative of the time & effort we spent on filming & editing [these videos]?"

Just a thought,

Josh

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results