How to carry magic for restaurants...

for the last few weeks ive been carrying all my magic in a backpack to my restaurant gig. its not too bad, but it is cluttered and hard to find things, what do you use to carry your magic in? i was thinking of some kind of briefcase or toolbox, brief case would be better. i was wondering where i could get one that is suitable for magic or w/e.
also, please replies from people who actually have some knowledge in this kind of thing. i dont want people who have been doing magic for 2 months who have a bag and perform to their parents and go to family reunions to show their newest deck and and who just got pressure and shows it to their grandmother and thats all. i want some feedback from someone who has done semi professional shows or gigs or restaurant work. i need something workable that can carry enough for resturaunt gigs.
thanks

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I use a small carry on travel suitcase. It makes holds a lot and I have access to everything whenever I need it, minus the sketch pads but they go on top so they are removed first anyway.

Mar 2, 2008
also, please replies from people who actually have some knowledge in this kind of thing. i dont want people who have been doing magic for 2 months who have a bag and perform to their parents and go to family reunions to show their newest deck and and who just got pressure and shows it to their grandmother and thats all. i want some feedback from someone who has done semi professional shows or gigs or restaurant work. i need something workable that can carry enough for resturaunt gigs.
thanks

Hahahahaha!!!

I don't have a restraunt job but i have seen restraunt magicains have a tool case and have all there stuff in it and what they do is set up on a small table off to the side away from everyone is eating and picks the tricks he wants to do to.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Chris, I bought a silver metal brief case at Home Depot. You can get them at Lowe's as well. It looks just like the ones that sell for $60-90 bucks at Daytona Magic.

Mine only ran about $29.00

It has foam dividers, pockets for pens, thumb tips, sponge balls, business cards, etc.

Check in the tool aisles around the tool boxes. You'll be surprised.

Mine is shiny and has a black handle and a black shoulder strap.

If you want a picture I'll post it later or I can show you on toxbox soon.
Just let me know.

Another option is a cosmetic case that opens up like a tackle fishing box. These are outstanding as well. I have a black one that opens up with many trays. It ran about 30 bucks as well. I bought it at Walmart in the make up aisle.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Chris, I bought a silver metal brief case at Home Depot. You can get them at Lowe's as well. It looks just like the ones that sell for $60-90 bucks at Daytona Magic.

Mine only ran about $29.00

It has foam dividers, pockets for pens, thumb tips, sponge balls, business cards, etc.

I don't have a restaurant job...but I do have this same case and want to second it. It is wonderful for holding everything you need. It's relatively inexpensive as far as cases go and isn't very bulky either.

I'm pretty sure it's aluminum too, so it's very light-even when full.

-Rik

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Chris...I have had the Josh Jay Pro Carrier also. It does the job if you are only carrying spongeballs, a few gaffs, a few coins, a deck of cards and business cards.

I sold mine well...I'll be honest...it looked kind of dorky / nerdy on my belt loop when I was performing.

Jul 8, 2008
What are you carrying? If you have 10 different props you use, drop them. It's always best to bring like 5 decks of cards, a few pens, a thumb tip or two, maybe some coins, and then backup gaffs or props that can be hidden and easily replaced because you WILL loose things lol. And don't carry it all at one time. You can take maybe 2 or 3 different trips back to the bathroom to reload something or swap in and out props.

Sep 2, 2007
for those working at restaraunts; DO NOT BRING YOUR CASE TO THE SHOW! it's unproffesional and makes people want to look inside, which they can;t. learn pocket management. look proffesional and you are prepared

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Dizzi,

I have done both and would venture to say that if you are just doing a one time shot thing at a restaraunt, then no you probably wouldn't carry in your case, you'd just load what you could on you. It is easy if you have a system to know which pocket everything has in it and put everything back where it goes after each effect.

However in Chris's situation....he is working the same restaraunt weekly and has access to the kitchen area and / or probably a back room where his case can be stored until it is time to leave. I think the rest of the work staff would have enough respect for Chris's material to not go digging into his case.

I see what you mean though, if you don't have some back room to put the case then yes, it probably does look unprofessional just leaving your close up case laying out in the dining area.

Maybe Chris can shed some more light on the actual situation at the restaraunt.
Either way...the case I described is something he may want for the future to carry things / props.

Hope all is going well Dizzi. I haven't been on any of the chats lately but still remember your TNR looking phenomenal.

Sep 1, 2007
Putting in my support for the attache case reverhart mentioned.

Jay Sankey's Assassin's Pouch is also nice to have. Frees up some pocket space.

Personally, I prefer a sport coat with plenty of pockets and a routine that makes the most out of a little.

thanks guys. yea i have a jacket that i wear that holds a deck or 2 of cards, sponge balls, pens, sharpies, match books, lighters, thumb tip, and forks. thats good for walking around with. but what im looking for is something to bring to the resturaunt to carry thoes extra decks and some other things.
the thing rever was talking bout sounds nice. im thinking of like a briefcase. I do have a place to put my things and no one will touch it. i am not looking to bring my case to each table.

May 12, 2009
Another carrier that you could look in to That I personally use is a shoulder holster style wallet. Something like this, but different pouch style.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Leather...temQQimsxZ20090622?IMSfp=TL090622144001r13808

I wasn't too keen to have everything in my jacket because the weight distribution between all the items in my pockets would shift and seem a little uncomfortable. Or too many items would make my pockets sag.
So I picked up a couple of these at a flee market in Hawaii (you could basically find them anywhere or on ebay) and customized it to one so I have a pouch on each side. Works great.

Edit: I've also used a BlackBerry case for a deck of cards that clips on my belt. It's fairly easy to get to and doesn't take up needed pocket space.

Sep 1, 2007
Idk about a way to carry when your working... But when I walk around downtown or something I carry a shoulder bag. my mom bought me a louis vaton (or however you spell it) shoulder bag from Barcelona so I use that. Keeps it organized, and looks really good with a white button up short, a nice black and white tie and pea coat over it all with the white cuffs folded over the jacket un buttoned. Try it :p

May 12, 2009
Idk about a way to carry when your working... But when I walk around downtown or something I carry a shoulder bag. my mom bought me a louis vaton (or however you spell it) shoulder bag from Barcelona so I use that. Keeps it organized, and looks really good with a white button up short, a nice black and white tie and pea coat over it all with the white cuffs folded over the jacket un buttoned. Try it :p

Yeah, I tried using this really nice Gucci laptop bag my gf got me, but after sorting out all my props and other whatnot's, I realized I was able to fit 5 different effects in my actual billfold wallet a few small envelopes and billets in my left back pocket and a special ball point pen I put together to work in conjunction with UI instead of carrying a felt tip marker as recommended.

Edit: I also gaffed the wallet to be an effect on it's own.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
here ya go. has served me well. looks nice enough for the most part and is very good at organizing and keeping things straight. also rugged and built to last and can be converted for several different shapes in case you need different stuff for different gigs.

case at lowes

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
jrobarts05,
Yes...that is the one I have that I think Chris will like. Many guys in my IBM Ring use it and for 25 bucks you can't beat it.
The case is from Lowe's and the Cosmetic Black box was from Wal Mart. It was like 29 dollars.

Here is mine and also the cosmetic case that looks opens with trays.

Obviously mine are in no way organized for my next event. Half of my stuff is laying on my dresser...half on my magic table...half on the kitchen counter....ha ha. It drives my wife nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I tried using this really nice Gucci laptop bag my gf got me, but after sorting out all my props and other whatnot's, I realized I was able to fit 5 different effects in my actual billfold wallet a few small envelopes and billets in my left back pocket and a special ball point pen I put together to work in conjunction with UI instead of carrying a felt tip marker as recommended.

Edit: I also gaffed the wallet to be an effect on it's own.

Damn.. I outa try that... haha :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results