Do you label yourself a magician?

Personally, I dont really like being labelled as a magician,

It instantly makes me think of somebody wearing a suit, hat and gloves, then doing hat tricks.

What do you use? Such as, Visual Artist, Underground Magician, Card tricker, Card Extramintaire, Intense card show offereerere, Card Shark,

I dont know, So, Im asking you.

best,

-Stan

It instantly makes me think of somebody wearing a suit, hat and gloves, then doing hat tricks.

What do you use? Such as, Visual Artist, Underground Magician, Card tricker, Card Extramintaire, Intense card show offereerere, Card Shark,

best,

-Stan

Just so you know Stan, There is a hell of a lot more to magic than just cards and card tricks... I wouldn't be so quick to put oneself into such a tiny box.

I can remember seeing Bill Malone's sign on the old L&L tapes saying "Bill Malone- Entertainer" it was a nice sign with a cartoon face and such and from a professionaly standpoint, it is smart. Calling yourself a magician only sells yourself short.

Daniel Madison, I think in the 82 trick pdf, had a quote that said "Always remember you are more than a magician". Hes right. You are.

You do more than magic, I hope anyways.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
You are and always will be a magician to the spectators. They will not call you a "Visual Artist."

Really quickly....what the hell does Underground Magician mean? I've heard this term used. Does this mean you just practice your tricks in your basment or room and upload videos onto youtube without ever performing for real people? Just wondering- honest question.

I am a street performer. Plain and Simple. In my show I never once say that I am a magician. I say there will be magic- but there is much more in just the experience. I've had numerous people come up and compliment me on my show and then they say that I could also go into stand up comedy if I want.

So to answer your question. I am a street performer

You are and always will be a magician to the spectators. They will not call you a "Visual Artist."

Really quickly....what the hell does Underground Magician mean? I've heard this term used. Does this mean you just practice your tricks in your basment or room and upload videos onto youtube without ever performing for real people? Just wondering- honest question.

I am a street performer. Plain and Simple. In my show I never once say that I am a magician. I say there will be magic- but there is much more in just the experience. I've had numerous people come up and compliment me on my show and then they say that I could also go into stand up comedy if I want.

So to answer your question. I am a street performer

Underground usually means a performance artist who is only known within certain circles or clicks. To an extent, a forum member here on this forum who obtains wide known status and respect for their art could be considered "underground" by the rest of the magic fraternity at large. Sadly, it seems that the more recent trend is to attach the word "underground" to any production that is created by and or aimed at a young demographic. By young I mean teens to twenties. The reason why I think this is done is to create a more marketable product that appears to be more on the edge which is a look that the younger audiences find attractive.

Wikipedia defines Underground as someone or act that has attained cult status independant of commercial success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2009

Maybe it means the up and coming magician or "visual entertainer" :D

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Underground usually means a performance artist who is only known within certain circles or clicks. To an extent, a forum member here on this forum who obtains wide known status and respect for their art could be considered "underground" by the rest of the magic fraternity at large. Sadly, it seems that the more recent trend is to attach the word "underground" to any production that is created by and or aimed at a young demographic. By young I mean teens to twenties. The reason why I think this is done is to create a more marketable product that appears to be more on the edge which is a look that the younger audiences find attractive.

Thank you very much. I have been hearing this and had now idea what it was supposed to mean....

All I could see from "underground" projects was grainy videos with some flourishes and a few color changes....not too mention poor lighting...and usually a hat or beany of some kind.

Jul 13, 2009

best,

-Stan

*Strolls on in sitting down on his bar stool, standard in every thread*

When I hear Magician I think of Lance Burton, then close behind Jeff Mcbride. If I analyzed correctly aren't visual artists the people who make well me and my avatar?
While sitting in the shadows sipping my green tea, I heard the words "Underground magician, what?" Underground magicians are actually above ground for the most part but in my own opinion an underground magician is a great performer and skilled in magic, and ISN'T well known. Key word being in all caps.

*has a seat and ponders in the shadows about what I had just said*

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I agree that the term "Magician" conjures up negative connotations in some circles, but not ALL of them. I prefer to call myself an entertainer, as I don't NEED magic to entertain, I just choose to use it as my tool to do such.

You have to give the ones hiring you something to garb onto mentally, but that doesn't mean you have to wear a nametag with yer job title all the time.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
in my opinion how a spectator perceives the word magician is based on the performer's clothes voice and approach. i have used many terms [depending on the routines that i do]. E.g if i were to do sth that reminds of Ricky Jay i would call myself a sleight of hand artist - or if i was to perform Emotinal Intelligence or Touching on Hoy i would pick the term psychological mind reader. how i call myself is based on what i have planned to perform.
Usually a casual outfit combined with a nice persnality and a DG voice tone [does that make any sense??] can give the word "magician" a completely different feel from what you are describing .

just my 2 cents

George

Feb 28, 2008
I think it's kind of odd not to want to be called a magician... I suppose many people have their own connotations with the word, but personally, I enjoy saying I'm a magician. You're a performer that performs tricks, astonishments, magic or what have you... to the eyes of most, that's a magician. I don't wear a tux when I perform... I just be me.

Yes, we are entertainers, but so are musicians. When I play in my band, I crack jokes between songs the same way magicians often have humorous patter...

So yea, I'm a magician.

Jul 13, 2009
*Saunters into the room, then dramatically points to the right*
Look a werewolf! I bet when I say werewolf you think of the Hollywood version of brainless killing machine, except for the ones in “Dog Soldiers.”

The same thing applies to the word magician, society has accepted the idea that magicians wear suits or tux and can pull doves out of their rump. That wasn’t a poke at any dove magicians; this is at least how I see it.

Sep 1, 2007
I love the idea of using cookie-cutter made up titles in favor of magician or mentalist. It's like trying to prove your individuality by wearing a Hot Topic T-shirt.

When in-character I call myself a Shadowlander as part of the act. But when the curtain is down, people call me a magician, mentalist, medium, entertainer, whatever. I don't really care what they call me as long as they book me. The owner of the venue can call me Douchebag behind my back if he wants, his money still spends as good as anybody else's.

Sep 9, 2007
Mitch Hedberg said:
If you boat a lot, you're known as a boating enthusiast. I like to boat, but I just don't want to ever be referred to as a 'boating enthusiast'. I hope they call me 'a guy who likes to boat'.

phrozunsun said:
If you perform magic a lot, you're known as a magician. I like to perform magic, but I just don't want to ever be referred to as a 'magician'. I hope they call me 'a guy who likes to perform magic'.

yeahhhhh....alllright...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results