Do you label yourself a magician?

You pull out a pack of cards and do a magic trick. you've just done magic, you're a magician. Admit it. It's the some as if you play music, you're a musician

Everyone likes to think they are 'breaking the mould' of top hats and rabbits etc and that's what people think magicians are, so therefore they refuse to label themselves a 'magician'. But in reality, since Blaine game along, no one does.

People are more open to magicians being normal people, not greasy silk shirt wearing weirdos.

My friends call me a magician, so that's what I am, and I'm proud of it. I don't make up some ludicrous title like 'Cardist' as no one is going to call me that. It's like a musician wanting to be called a 'sound manipulator'. It's just not going to happen.

So yes, I call myself a magician.

Peace

Rev

I just call myself a comedy magician and mentalist. So even if the word magician does conjure up bad images, the mentalist aspect kind've makes it a bit more acceptable with the new Simon Baker TV show and all, plus the idea of reading minds is just cool in general. Also by saying I'm a comedy magcian/mentalist, they know that the show is going to be more than just doing some tricks and going through procedures.

And on a side note, I think the stereotype of a magician can be used to our ADVANTAGE! Let me explain. If you're putting on a show and a spectator knows that it's a magic show or whatever, they most likely will get that typical magic stereotype in their head. Now they have an expectation of your show. However, when you start you show and the audience is watching it, HOPEFULLY, if you're a good performer, their expectations wil be blown away! Now their impression of you is much, much higher because their expectations were so low and you managed to perform at a true professional level.

Here's an example. I did my school's talent show this year a lot of people before the show knew that I would be in it and they would ask what I was doing and I would say magic and they would always be like, "Oooo, maaaagic." In a very sarcastic way and then I'd have to reasure them and be like, "It's actually pretty cool, just come see it it's free anyway." Then after the show people couldn't believe that I had performed so well and that the magic actually was really funny well performed. Now I still get comments from people about how funny of an act I did and how it blew away their expectations. So just keep that in mind.

Jan 28, 2009
I label myself as a three legged turkey monster called clive, because I'm so powerful and unique that I'm above petty human labels.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
You pull out a pack of cards and do a magic trick. you've just done magic, you're a magician. Admit it. It's the some as if you play music, you're a musician

Everyone likes to think they are 'breaking the mould' of top hats and rabbits etc and that's what people think magicians are, so therefore they refuse to label themselves a 'magician'. But in reality, since Blaine game along, no one does.

People are more open to magicians being normal people, not greasy silk shirt wearing weirdos.

My friends call me a magician, so that's what I am, and I'm proud of it. I don't make up some ludicrous title like 'Cardist' as no one is going to call me that. It's like a musician wanting to be called a 'sound manipulator'. It's just not going to happen.

So yes, I call myself a magician.

Peace

Rev

I was thinking something along the same lines as you when I came across this thread. Everyone wants to be looked at like they're better than the classic magician that everyone thinks about when they hear the word magician. That's why they're changing their title from magician to "cardshark mental close-up miracleworker".
I think it's better to keep the title, "magician". Yeah, they'll get a first impression of you before you perform, but that should only give you fuel to prove them wrong.
If you are who you say you are("cardshark mental close-up miracleworker"), they'll see it when you perform anyway.
For me, I like to use that classic magician image they have in mind and destroy every last piece of that puzzle of what they thought a magician was when I do my first effect. I enjoy using the element of surprise.

Instead of renaming what we do, we should represent for what it should stand for. No gloves, no top hats, and especially no rabbits.

May 31, 2008
In a word, yes. I do label myself as a magician. Sometimes I use the term illusionist as well, but magician is my main title. I feel that it represents what I do properly.

Apr 1, 2009
California
There is no "breaking the mold" if you are trying to rename your art and who you are. That is much the same as conforming maybe more. If you want to change the way people see magicians, call yourself a magician, let them think what they want, prove them wrong. Simple as that. The reason musicians call themselves musicians is because that is what they are, they are accepted that way. Take a bigger stance on your position, "Magicians should be seen as such and such... I am a magician." Maybe they picture pulling things out of your hat and elsewhere, let them. But what I do know, is that 90% of the time you tell people what you are and you say magician, they will want to see something, no matter their vision. Then they will see what you are and your take and stance and vision of the art.

Unless you have a specific reason for labeling yourself as anything but a magician or at its vaugest Entertainer, then I wouldn't stray too far from those familular, comfortable grounds.

The only time I'd consider using something other than what I listed above would be for reasons of branding. If I wanted to brand an image or something then I may advise using a more eye catchy name.

To be or not to be a 'magician'

Hi

Just joined as received a Google Alert about bthis thread and discovered this Forum.

Over many years I have changed my mind (several times) about calling myself a magician - or not. In the beginning I was pleased to be associated and proud when I felt able to call myself that. Then grew to dislike the word because of other people's perceptions and associations.

I actually still think that is what shapes my decisions.

So it became 'uncool' and a whole bunch of us started to use any term but 'magician'. But times and people change. I now think that for many of the markts I deal with, it's a good title again. However, for some, it is not.

So my answer is .... it depends who I am talking to. If their perception of a magician is positive then I am a magician ... in fact I am a Master Magician! If though their perception is of something I feel negative (perhaps more on that later) I am one of several other things (depending who I am with).

All for now

John Gordon - The Infotainer
MagicWorks
Disappearing Nightly!

jr?

Apr 3, 2009
leeds and halifax
www.jrmagic.co.uk
it hard to say who you with in magic . but i wood like to say this play a fun game and learn more about the art. we are the next role models with in this life . i can say we are all special men and girls who the lord has gave use keys to use if we listen to the past we can see that we are a blessing to this world... so yes we are like gods with the magic world . we got to do what we are good at . like me it might be the past and now with magic bec i move with the times . ps the complete walton is a must have card book / vol one=1981

magician is a neme that we all no who an what he or she dost just like dr who we no his name ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
lol. actually i just remember what I say when people ask me if I'm a magician (when I'm just out messing around with some cards).

"No, I'm a degenerate gambler...." then look them dead in the eye for a few seconds to ramp up the awkwardness. Then if I intend to do something I'll fan the deck and let them choose a card.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
lol. actually i just remember what I say when people ask me if I'm a magician (when I'm just out messing around with some cards).

"No, I'm a degenerate gambler...." then look them dead in the eye for a few seconds to ramp up the awkwardness. Then if I intend to do something I'll fan the deck and let them choose a card.

I don't know if you guys know this, but this is only funny to us. The spectator was probably just like, Uhh Okay? - Thinking you're a weirdo, once again making magicians look like creepers.

Sep 9, 2007
I don't know if you guys know this, but this is only funny to us. The spectator was probably just like, Uhh Okay? - Thinking you're a weirdo, once again making magicians look like creepers.

lol. Agreed. still though, that makes it no less fun to do. And by then end of it, they forget all about it. Or they should - if they don't then you should have performed better.

I was always told...."If you ask a stupid question....you're gonna get a stupid answer..."

Sep 9, 2007
It's also hilarious to me to walk up and kick a random dude right square in the balls.

Noted, I'll try it sometime.

I know I have a bit of a twisted sense of humour, but I can usually win people over. My personality is just that of a sarcastic little bugger, so it works when they get to know me.

If I did it any other way, it would be inauthentic. I'm sure you'd understand. Especially judging by some of the comments you've posted.

Sep 1, 2007
If I did it any other way, it would be inauthentic. I'm sure you'd understand. Especially judging by some of the comments you've posted.

Oh I get that. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a sarcastic wanker and that I find blood funny. But my experience is that it's better to ease people into it. You're response is less funny, more jarring.

I typically prefer to start with a mildly sarcastic remark to ease them into it and escalate as I go on. I never try to shock anybody as shock is the cheapest form of humor, has diminishing returns, and is seldom consistently funny.

quit over analizing this thing people. This isnt as hard as your making it out to be nor is it as deep either. Bottom line: If it gets you booked then dont try and fix whats not broken. It is abour getting paid thats why we strive so hard to perefect our art and profession.

Sep 9, 2007
Oh I get that. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a sarcastic wanker and that I find blood funny. But my experience is that it's better to ease people into it. You're response is less funny, more jarring.

I typically prefer to start with a mildly sarcastic remark to ease them into it and escalate as I go on. I never try to shock anybody as shock is the cheapest form of humor, has diminishing returns, and is seldom consistently funny.

Again, great points.

I guess it has become a little bit of an inside joke with my friends as well, because none of them can really keep a straight face when I do it. They all look at each other like "Did he/she REALLY just ask that?!?! lol....here we go again" So I guess that comment is more for me and them than it is for the spec. But perhaps it will discourage them from asking the obvious.

Then again, I have a similar reaction from them when someone mentions their interest in things like horoscopes or palmistry. My friends know I'm about to challenge that tomfoolery and provide a cold reading. My personal favourite is starting a palm reading with...."see this line...yeah, this is your mental line - it tells me about how you think and feel...and this break...yeah....it means you're a moron".....often this will generate a laugh even from the person I'm doing it to and then I just plow forth with a realistic sounding reading which I will later insist (despite their saying what I did was really real - as if I wouldn't know if I had some supernatural power) was fake.

keep in mind, I mostly perform in or around bars and clubs where people are properly acclimated and receptive to finding people with my sort of attitude...I don't do kids birthdays, that's for sure.

Sep 1, 2007
I guess it has become a little bit of an inside joke with my friends as well, because none of them can really keep a straight face when I do it.

Inside jokes are great, but consider the outsider looking in before you write them into a performance.

I have a screenplay or four with inside jokes, but they're not played for laughs overtly. I just quietly slip them in there so that they look like a natural part of the process and those in the know will just nod and go, "I see what you did there."

keep in mind, I mostly perform in or around bars and clubs where people are properly acclimated and receptive to finding people with my sort of attitude...I don't do kids birthdays, that's for sure.

I assumed so.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results