Why I don't perform for drunks.

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
I do perform, It gets me a free drink at the pub every week. Magic is not just about memory or any spirtual stuff like that, its also a way to just give people a good time as well as yourself. Im not saying I perform for free drinks, but its not a bad tip and a great way of meeting new people. Also the posts all seem to be saying that if you have had one or two drinks that you are 'drunk' and cant appreciate magic, which of course everyone knows is not the case.

My final point would be why the hell are you a magician if you do not perform to people who have had a drink? because if your at an event, party or whatever and you are being paid to be there, who are you going to perform to? as most people will have some amount of alcohol in thier system.

May 8, 2008
England
Get to know and recognize the various states of inebriation, and choose your specs accordingly.

Great point.
Speaking from personal experience drunks are fine to perform for, maybe louder reactions. I've performed at numerous parties to people who were trashed and next time I see them they ask about, or tell the story of a trick. I think it depends on their state, the trick you choose.
And, not meaning to cause offence, but arguably if a spectator takes several cards or fools around then you are not in control of/leading that performance. I perform at this bar kind of place monthly and tipsy people are genuinely fun to perform for. As long as everyone is involved and doesn't have the motivation to prat around then it's all good.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It's usually said to avoid drunk spectators like the plague. Unless you are a bar magician, then it's pretty much impossible. But if you are working at a place like a family restaurant then chances are very slim you will run into any drunks. Unless they are extreme light weights and get drunk off of a beer or two.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
While I agree and as a general rule I try to avoid people who are drunk, my biggest tip ($120) came from a guy who had had too much to drink. He kept slipping me twenties as I was performing. After the fourth one, I said I couldn't take any more form him and he pulled me close and said "buddy I have more money than you can imagine" So, on with the show! Funniest experience.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
never performed to a drunk and never will thank you

-Jake

Ditto.

These are all reasons why if I can avoid it, I don't even bother bringing or getting the cards or coins out. It's always good to know when is a good time to bring the cards and when you're better off without.

If you are worried about being asked to do something, learn some absolute impromptu magic with rubber bands, coins etc.

If you're worried people are drunk, you're not a performing monkey, you have the ability to say no; just like drugs. :D

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results