Some Advice Needed....

Hey guys I know it's been a while since I've posted but I need some advice. For those of you that know me you may be aware that I've been a club and private performer for several years now. Naturally when working my locations it can get very hot but my dress attire has always been flexible so I've been able to lose the jacket and work from the bartops to refuel my pockets with props when needed or use other rooms that are made available to me.

Here's my delima. I took a private gig for some very important people and it's to take place in Dallas, Texas this Saturday with a tempature of 105 to 112 degrees during my performance. I will be there as a stand in walk around performer to entertain the Dallas Cowboys, their families and friends so I'm required to dress to fit the occasion. I'm a stickler on pocket management and being paid to be there from 6-9pm so I will need enough material to keep the guest happy. Since I'm one of the headliners on the invitations I would like to take my best stuff with me and I refuse to carry a box or wear a jacket in this heat so I'm looking for advice on apperal or accessories to give me the adequate pocket space needed. I usually don't work large outside events like this and any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi Shane. Well, I would say that yes you would be crazy to wear a jacket because if you are like me...you would be soaked in sweat within minutes.

I understand you do not want to take a box but is there any way you can take a small box / brief case and just keep it in a room or location to go to after the first hour or so? Maybe not.

What about a cargo style dress pant that has a few extra pockets? I'm not talking khakis. My brother has some nice black dress pants that are actually cargo type.

Josh jay pro carrier...although I did not like mine due to looking "dorky" on my belt.

Keep in mind your decks are going to warp in that heat and you may want two or three decks to rotate through.

This is going to be tough for you. I've seen the leather holster looking things that go over your shoulders but I think those are for under suit coats.

What about some type of nice shoulder bag that just goes over one shoulder and sits on your back? What about someone going with you and dressing nice and "they" carry your props in a bag?

I'm just throwing ideas out there for ya man. Let me know how it goes. Congrats on a great huge gig. That's outstanding.

Jun 29, 2009
I am a little confused -- its going to be 105-112 degree weather? You mean to say that there is a big gathering of people and you will not be in an air conditioned room?

I am a little confused -- its going to be 105-112 degree weather? You mean to say that there is a big gathering of people and you will not be in an air conditioned room?

Yes I will be outside the entire time in the sun till it goes down. I also have a JJ carrier device already it's actually not much of a help on any occasion I have found, the coin pocket zipper broke within the first 2 minutes of owning the thing. I took my laptop bag and gutted it and designed some pockets for accessories, and props. Although its comfortable to carry with me and looks nice I was looking for some other fresh ideas available. I like the idea of dress cargo pants I'll look into that tommorow.

And to clear any misunderstandings up its between 105 to 112 degrees in Texas even in the evening and thats including the humidity. Thanks.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Here is another idea I've seen used before.

What about a wallet that has plastic sleeves in it like the ones that have pictures sleeves in them.

You could put some packet tricks in it or dollar effects. Rubber bands can go on the wrist obviously.

Your coins you could put in a case logic memory stick holder. You get them at walmart. They are little tiny pouches that hold memory sticks for digital camera's and you can load it with shells, flipper coins, etc. When i say tiny...I mean like one inch wide by two inches tall.

It is very tiny and would go right in your pocket. I load mine with one scotch and soda set, one shell, one flipper coin, and one bite out quarter.

get bigger pants like cargos.
fanny pack? i know its geeky, but if you wear a hawiian shirt and a fanny pack, you'll stick out. and be the performer.
there will be family and friends. so its alright if you stick out a little bit.
thats probably not your style tho.
you could get some nice shorts that might work.

you could always get wear a vest and a tie.
that would look real nice and be less then a jacket. and still have room to put things

Ok... so I don't know your style, material, nothing... I'm just thinking out loud here and saying what I'd do in your situation.

1. First things first, your health and safety. In EVERY contract for EVERY gig, I state that I'm allowed 1 ten minute break for every hour performing for water. You should drink at least 1 bottle for every hour. Go inside, get a drink, and STAY HYDRATED! Heat exhaustion and passing out from dehydration is no way to keep a client happy.

2. The cargo idea is good. I'd look into that for sure.

3. If I didn't have cargo pants and was wearing typical attire for an outside gig in the summer (minus jacket), it would be black slacks, white under-armour shirt, and a mostly black (with some pattern) short-sleeve button down shirt. Under armour does help in keeping you cool though... I highly recommend it! Also, dark colors so the sweat isn't highly visible.

4. Make a list of everything you can do with a deck of cards, coins, rubber bands, and money (bills). Strictly speaking for me, pocket management would go:

Left rear pocket: deck of cards.
Right rear pocket: Royal wallet (card to wallet), 2 sharpies.

Left front pocket: 2 half dollars, 4 sponge balls.
Right front pocket: 2 half dollars, Malini egg bag (maybe).

Upper shirt pocket: Hundy 500
Left wrist: 2 rubber bands

---------------

Keep in mind there are going to be a lot of people there... you probably won't get to one group more than 2 times. That's why I said maybe on the Malini Egg Bag. Have 2 routines that play BIG! For me, that would be egg bag and sponge balls. You can switch them out every hour or so. In the hands material is essential here... you'll be outside, no table, sweaty, exposed to the elements (wind is a biggie), etc. No knuckle busting sleights will do you any good... let's just be honest with ourselves.

Have a good 6-8 decks on hand and be prepared to go through a deck every 30 minutes. At least, the humidity is crazy high here in Md and that's my experience. Sponge balls, have 2 sets on hand if possible. If not, 1 set should be okay.

Best of luck man... feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. But remember, stay hydrated. That's first and foremost.

-Steve Simmons

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Steve...I never thought of adding 10 minute breaks to my contract. I'm going insert that tomorrow bro. I thought maybe a client would get mad about that. I definitely could use a 10 minute break for water and restroom. Most of the time I just push through it.

I also like your idea of the short sleeve mostly black shirt. I also use the black in the summer so it doesn't show sweat.

Nice to see some other ideas as well. I'm sure Shane and some of the rest of us guys appreciate it.

I appreciate those that took the time to get involved in this thread. I'm not quite sure if a vest will work since I don't have the time to have mine tailored to give me the extra pocket space that a regurlar dress short wouldn't provide. I will be checking the cargo pants idea out minana I hate malls. lol Steve I understand what your saying but spongeballs and changebags but I don't think it would be appropiate for this gig speaking in the since I was hired by VP of food & beverage after she experienced one of my stage acts last month in Dallas and she specifically asked for me to provide serious entertainment with that in her words "I hate magicians that pull rabbits from hats", I kid you not exactly. She was impressed with my adult humor and presence. So pretty much cards, coins, pocket tricks, levitations, geek, and mentalism is pretty much from my first impression from Amy is whats expected.

I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome and I'll take the advice in consideration and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

Shane...

First off, I said the Malini Egg Bag...not a change bag. Sounds like you don't know what that is... I highly suggest you look into it. One of the best damn routines in magic. If it's good enough for Johnny Thompson, Max Malini, Denny Haney, and the very high end clientel that I'm sure they've performed for, it's good enough for me and you. I've done this routine for 100+ business men and women and it ended in a standing ovation for me... not trying to stroke my ego, jussayin....

Sponge balls... yea. That's one of those tricks where it can be adult oriented or kid oriented. Get blue sponge balls and then you have the perfect adult routine. And trust me, bring out blue balls and someone will comment about them. Adults love sponge balls. Everyone loves sponge balls. They pack small and play big. Change up the patter and make it a sobriety test kinda routine (2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket dealio)... you just need to make it an adult topic that they can relate to and laugh about is all.

You say "it wouldn't be appropriate for this gig"... Without being an *******, see some of the shows I've done and who I was performing for and I think you'd agree that your argument holds no water. You said in your first post you were hired to perform for "the Dallas Cowboys, their families and friends."

I can guarantee that there will be kids there, and it will inevitably happen someone suggest "you perform for the kids...they'll love that sort of stuff."

I don't have a problem if you say it's not your style, preference, blah blah blah. But please, don't knock the stuff off as kids magic without knowing the facts. People are people and magic is magic. :)

Best.
Steve

Shane...

First off, I said the Malini Egg Bag...not a change bag. Sounds like you don't know what that is... I highly suggest you look into it. One of the best damn routines in magic. If it's good enough for Johnny Thompson, Max Malini, Denny Haney, and the very high end clientel that I'm sure they've performed for, it's good enough for me and you. I've done this routine for 100+ business men and women and it ended in a standing ovation for me... not trying to stroke my ego, jussayin....

Sponge balls... yea. That's one of those tricks where it can be adult oriented or kid oriented. Get blue sponge balls and then you have the perfect adult routine. And trust me, bring out blue balls and someone will comment about them. Adults love sponge balls. Everyone loves sponge balls. They pack small and play big. Change up the patter and make it a sobriety test kinda routine (2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket dealio)... you just need to make it an adult topic that they can relate to and laugh about is all.

You say "it wouldn't be appropriate for this gig"... Without being an *******, see some of the shows I've done and who I was performing for and I think you'd agree that your argument holds no water. You said in your first post you were hired to perform for "the Dallas Cowboys, their families and friends."

I can guarantee that there will be kids there, and it will inevitably happen someone suggest "you perform for the kids...they'll love that sort of stuff."

I don't have a problem if you say it's not your style, preference, blah blah blah. But please, don't knock the stuff off as kids magic without knowing the facts. People are people and magic is magic. :)

Best.
Steve

I misread the eggbag comment it happens put your panties back on EXPERT. The spongeballs are fine I dont have a problem with spongeballs I was making a statement to tend the needs of my client so go back and re-read my post. Trust me when I tell you I wasn't knocking you, your outta of line here. So check your PM and we'll deal with it there like adults. You seem to have alot to learn yourself Stevo get to know your facts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2009
Fanny pack maybe, *pictures Shane wearing a fanny pack* Hmm nevermind. I would probably look around for belt clip pouches. Have you thought of investing in a Satchel or Murse?

Fanny pack maybe, *pictures Shane wearing a fanny pack* Hmm nevermind. I would probably look around for belt clip pouches. Have you thought of investing in a Satchel or Murse?

I gotta say if I want to get noticed I'll defenitly take the murse into consideration. I'm taking some time this evening to do some shopping for a recommended linen jacket or cargo dress pants. The bag I have seems to be fine for now I plan on testing it out today to see if it gonna work I'll be sure to let you guys know what I discover in case anyone else has a show come up with these same issues.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hey guys I know it's been a while since I've posted but I need some advice. For those of you that know me you may be aware that I've been a club and private performer for several years now. Naturally when working my locations it can get very hot but my dress attire has always been flexible so I've been able to lose the jacket and work from the bartops to refuel my pockets with props when needed or use other rooms that are made available to me.

Here's my delima. I took a private gig for some very important people and it's to take place in Dallas, Texas this Saturday with a tempature of 105 to 112 degrees during my performance. I will be there as a stand in walk around performer to entertain the Dallas Cowboys, their families and friends so I'm required to dress to fit the occasion. I'm a stickler on pocket management and being paid to be there from 6-9pm so I will need enough material to keep the guest happy. Since I'm one of the headliners on the invitations I would like to take my best stuff with me and I refuse to carry a box or wear a jacket in this heat so I'm looking for advice on apperal or accessories to give me the adequate pocket space needed. I usually don't work large outside events like this and any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Coming from a born and raised texan, just be happy it's not at noon lol. 6pm - 9pm is a lot cooler. You should be fine. if have performed in worse, you should make it being a pro at the stuff anyway. You'll be fine once the sun sets. That's if it's dry out. If there is a lot of humidity, that's another story.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results