New Invention - Need Your Opinion

Hi guys,
I invented a nice little imprmptu card effect and just wanna hear what opinions you can give me.
So first you let the spectator shuffle the deck, you then tell them that you will make a prediction and put one card from the deck in your pocket, you talk about huiman psychology and that you can maipluate someones mind, so that they see things that aren't there.
you then perform a david blaine riffle force, where the spectator sees one card when you riffle the deck...( if you know which force i mean ;) )
you then reach in your pocket to put the prediction you made earlier on the table eg.
you ask the spectator which card they saw and want them to search for the card in the deck.
but the card isn't in the deck anymore, the prediction you made earlier is the card they think of.
you can even put the prediction in the spectators pocket, it uses no doubles and can be doe with a borrowed deck.
So what do you think, and sorry for my english, I'm from Germany

Jul 21, 2009
Meh.

It's a pretty solid effect judging by your description, but very bland. There needs to be a kicker somewhere in your effect to make it stand out a little more than whats already there. Other than that it has potential.

ok, but I mean there is a kicker, when they see that the card that they chose vanished from the deck and the prediction is now their card, don't you think that's a kicker?
ok, I mean it's nothing new that I invented, but I think that it is something that the spectator will remember and will enjoy a lot.
so give me some tips, what can I do better?

May 24, 2008
its a good effect, and i feel like in order for people to really understand how good or bad the effect is, you would have to post a video.

Jul 8, 2008
Yea this has been done SOOOO many times before but with different sleights. Jay Sankey has a version where you use 3 selections and they all appear to be the same and in your pocket.

Mar 28, 2009
HAmburg Germany
Ok also wenn es wirklich keine doppelten Karten benötigt ist es sehr gut. Kann mir aber beim besten willen nicht vorstellen wie du das mit einem gemischten und geborgtem deck machen willst. Nicht schlecht wenn du das wirklich hin bekommst!

i'll try to get a camera somewhere, but I think this efefct is like lit.
For us, the magicians it doesn't make sense at all why the reactions are so great.
But I think that my effect will play good in public, because it isn't possible that a card they saw, suddenly disappears from the deck and a prediction that has been made before matches the card that he/she saw.

Once again, It would be easy to do it with a double or with double sticked tape, bbut this effect is totally impromptu and can be done with any deck, and the deck can be even borrowed, brand new sealed, eg. ...

May 6, 2008
Hey man don't get discouraged. If you thought this up, then you came up with it. Also don't listen to us magicians on these forums as to wether it is 'good' or 'bad', that will come in your presentation. If you make it interesting and people react well, it is great. I have wasted, and still do waste so much money on all these tricks that fool magicians. Lay people have very little love for how technical the trick is. That's what magicians want. Regular folks are still amazed by a double lift.

May 6, 2008
Now, not to bust your chops but doesn't the riffle force you were using require a stack. I know the one he discusses in his book does. Maybe this one is different.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
Yea this has been done SOOOO many times before but with different sleights. Jay Sankey has a version where you use 3 selections and they all appear to be the same and in your pocket.

sankeys paperclipped effect is very similar to this too and probably more impressive

Sep 1, 2007
you talk about huiman psychology and that you can maipluate someones mind, so that they see things that aren't there.

Inducing hallucinations isn't psychology, it's neuroscience.

you then reach in your pocket to put the prediction you made earlier on the table eg.

What was the motivation for putting it in your pocket then?

but the card isn't in the deck anymore, the prediction you made earlier is the card they think of.

I'd suggest you look at Luke Jermay's Reverse Gestalt Moment from Miracles of Suggestion and Andrew Mayne's Focal Point for clearer demonstrations on the theatrical principle of messing with someone's neurology.

As has been pointed out it also resembles Sankey's Paperclipped, which has less of a mind-themed tone to it and more of space-warp sort of feel.

Also don't listen to us magicians on these forums as to wether it is 'good' or 'bad', that will come in your presentation.

Because it's not like we can critique things like concept, theme, flow, motivation, etc...

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I've done a similar trick before except i simply have a spec "see" a card in the deck, i then bring out an envelope, tell the spec to go through the deck to find their card, it's obviously not there because now it's...in the envelope!

Same thing by the sound of it but the envelope provides an impossible angle and generally adds a smooth prediction element into play as well as natural cover for the sleight of hand.

Jul 2, 2008

I LOVE that effect. The three piles one? Absolutely kills like nothing I've ever performed.

And by the way, it has been done (obviously); call it a "discovery", not invention for your own English reference.

A KICKER is not the ending of the effect... it's a double kick in the face. How about you show them the prediction at first.... you ask what card they saw/thought of, they name a different card. You say but my prediction was the "whatever". Then you reveal it to be their real thought of card with a clever line, depending on your character (a cocky character might say, "I knew this had to be yours, I'm usually never wrong.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results