The 13th Hour Challenge

Real world thinking, for real world working magicians.

I'll consider last week's challenge a total flop but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on the entire idea. The 13th hour challenge is designed to present a potential real world situation that a working magician could face, and create a last minute come up with something challenge that invokes ones creativity and resourcefulness based around a central theme. What I'm looking for is a detailed response with thought and care worked into the reply. Before we look at this week's challenge, lets take a look at last weeks.

The theme last week was "Pirates". The details was to design a 35 to 45 minute act that could play for up to 200 people, and work on a budget of no more than $25 dollars.

When faced with this challenge I would have set up the following act.

Pre-Show Music: I would have raided my collection of CD's of Pirates of the Caribian music, as well as historical sea chanties. I would loop the music for one hour prior to show starting to help set a mood.

Pre-Show Announcemnet: I would pre-record a pre-show annoucement informing my audience to turn off their cell phones and pagers and get ready for a rip-roaring good time. I'd also add the extra touch of doing a pirate voice for the recording. I would play the recording 5 minutes to curtain.

Wardrobe: I would certainly dress like a pirate. Since I have a lot of Ren-Fair style clothing as is, putting together a costume wouldn't be difficult. That sets my $25 dollar budget money aside for something else.

Party Favors: I would make sure to spend the $25 dollar budget money on getting a bunch of old IBC root beer bottles, empty them out, wash them, fill them with sand, and a scroll of paper worn and burned placed inside. The scroll of paper would be a small map to a location on site that the kids can treasure hunt for a candy coin foiled chocolate surprise after the show. I live in LA so sand is cheap if you go to a beach. I've got contacts at local bars I can use to get their empty beer bottles after a weekend or so. Candy coins luckily, are cheap as hell, so $25 should work for 200 participants or less.

Performance: I would open with a sword swallow, and segway into the following effects selected for their pirate like themes.
> Clear Water to Black Water
> Sands of the Desert
> Multiplying "Rum" Bottles
> Topsy Turvey "Rum" Bottles
> Re-purpose the Disappearing Ketchup Bottle to work for a pirate theme. Discus food on the ship, and how it always needs an extra touch of flavor.
> Fire Eating
> Mis-made Flag re purposed to a Jolly Roger
> Comedy Manacle Escape
> Chain Escape
> Close with Tip Over Box production of a Pirate Wench assistant. The Tip Over Box, of course, would be fashioned to look like a pirate chest. (Fortunately, a friend of mine has something I could borrow that looks very close to this.)

Figuring that each effect will last between 3 to 6 minutes on an average to fill a 40 minute show I'll need between six and ten effects, allow time for patter and set up and I'm golden on time.

I would have on stand by (in case I needed it)
> Stan, Kate, and Edith reworked to have a pirate theme.
> Human Block Head
> McCombical Prediction: Reworked to use pictures that would be familiar to a pirate, such as a ship, a plank, a sword, a shark, etc.

Now that you get the right idea of what we're aiming for here, now lets look at this weeks mental work out challenge!

The Theme: Comic Books (In honor of Comic-Con in San Diego this weekend)

The Budget: $50

The Challenge: Create a 30 minute show set list that would present magic in the theme of comic books and super heros. The show should be able to play for a small to medium sized audience. (5 to 75 people)

Good Luck!

William,

I love the idea. Really, it rocks man! But the problem I have with it, is that I'll never accept a show based around a pirate theme or a super-hero theme. That's not what I do, so I'd simply pass on the show. And while I realize it's just for fun, my magic knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to stuff like that, lol.

Anyways, props for the idea though. I'll definitely be watching this thread.

Best,
Steve

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Hmmm.

Interesting concept. I'm not sure if I'll have time to think about this, but if I do I'll definitely try and work something out.

With that said...off to work.

-Rik

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results