M By Daniel Madison

Hey

I'm thinking about buying M by D+M. I really like the things he's come up with but I haven't got anything so far but I think this really stands out to me than his other stuff.

I just wanted to see what you guys think of this book he's brought out. Also, do you know whether he actually tests his effects on real specators and doesnt just come up with effects even though they are awesome.

Also is the book downloadable only or both download and hard copy book?

So I just wanted to see your general views on this book by dm.

Thanks
Sam.

Sep 1, 2007
Overall most of my purchases from DM have been dissapointing. Not terrible, but dissapointing. The effects are NEVER as good as described, and the books always seem like they were just thrown together(Tons of typos. Come on, if your gonna take the time to make a book, use spell check and get peoples names right)

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Overall most of my purchases from DM have been dissapointing. Not terrible, but dissapointing. The effects are NEVER as good as described, and the books always seem like they were just thrown together(Tons of typos. Come on, if your gonna take the time to make a book, use spell check and get peoples names right)

And I would take the exact opposite viewpoint. Many of my reputation making tricks are either d's or based off of one of his tricks in part. He is one of the few people today that is putting fresh, useful ideas out there.

L

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
And I would take the exact opposite viewpoint. Many of my reputation making tricks are either d's or based off of one of his tricks in part. He is one of the few people today that is putting fresh, useful ideas out there.

L

And has some of the most unique card tricks ive seen in years.
When performing TRIP,Some Bad Hat Henry,and F'ing Aces I recieve great responses. Trip is just visual craziness and my spectators have told me they've 'felt' the piece of their card change.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
referring to your question of whether he performs these effects in person,I have and they're all practical and workers. The exception being the gimmicked version of Breach just because of the difficulty of finding a glass table and carrying the gimmick

Jan 4, 2008
Sorry, can't comment on M as I don't have it. However, I also receive KILLER reactions from a lot of Daniel Madison's effects. One effect that sticks out the most to my spectators is BURN.

Anytime I see someone i've performed for in the past, they always ask me about "that one you did where my card burned itself on the other card...!!"

As for as being practical, I believe that most (not all), but most of them are practical. A lot of his earlier and even some recent releases, are centered around a move that not many magicians are comfortable with. That might be why some find some effects not practical.

but....They are.

Gerald

May 4, 2008
NYC
Sorry, can't comment on M as I don't have it. However, I also receive KILLER reactions from a lot of Daniel Madison's effects. One effect that sticks out the most to my spectators is BURN.

Anytime I see someone i've performed for in the past, they always ask me about "that one you did where my card burned itself on the other card...!!"

I totally agree, get BURN. You can be so creative with this concept. Its really powerful and it will get good reactions.
I don't have M either so I can't put any input on it. But BURN is my favorite out of all the books i have of d+M.

Sep 1, 2007
I only have some of his earlier work, so maybe his newer stuff is better.

Swing Change was pretty cool.

May 25, 2009
His books are available as downloads.

Other material that I recommend from the man himself is his Lecture Notes trilogy. I dare say the material in them would be able to occupy you for at least 6 months and the amount of time it takes to master all of them would probably be a couple of years.

If you do not have the funds to support such a purchase, I would highly recommend ONE :) The material and sleights in there are brilliant.

May 18, 2008
No, unfortunatly. Some of his books have been available as books, but only about 100 copies each...

Either way, d+M always surprises me with fresh, original AMAZING ideas.

He has some GREAT stuff and, contrary to popular belief, is ALWAYS as good as described.

Jan 19, 2008
I love his ideas but they are not as good as they are described. This deffentily goes to M. I loved the concepts but the methods.......well were kinda....bleh.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
DM takes a similar stand in his methodology to me, keep it as simple as possible and bring it right back to basics while creating unique handlings to suit each effect.

I can vouch for the fact that DM does test the stuff on real spectators as you'll see in some upcoming footage we shot a couple weeks back.

I love Dan's material, it's always hardcore, direct stuff and when performed right, it KILLS.

M is a good book, I see that Dan has really focused on the routining here, which does set it aside from his other works, where the focus was on effect and left the routining up to you. Instead of providing the vehicle here, the D-mad has tipped the entire experience, the way he does it.

Check the book out, it's not going to be around forever.

DC

Jan 19, 2008
I do think there would be easier ways to acomplish half the stuff in the book. One involves hiding a selcted card in your sleeve and, i dont wear sleeves. But i can think of a much better method for that overall. M had great ideas but i think the methods should have been simplified.

I understand d:M is taking a leave of absence of sorts to focus more on his performance of magic. I think the decision to do so came at the right time. In terms of his creations, I honestly feel the quality of his released material's been gradually decreasing. I'm sure I'll get some flak for saying this, but I think a lot of his recent stuff has been overrated and too premature to warrant actual publication. I think (maybe) he actually recognized that and wanted to refocus his efforts on being productive to the magic community rather than cluttering it with more filler. I think that's admirable.

Of everything d:M released, I think his most valuable efforts may be found in his first two sets of lecture notes. The Dangerous DVDs were pretty decent as well and acted as a nice supplement to them. These items are among my favorite of his contributions. He's a solid thinker and I think his creativity really shined its brightest in those works.

RS.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
I understand d:M is taking a leave of absence of sorts to focus more on his performance of magic. I think the decision to do so came at the right time. In terms of his creations, I honestly feel the quality of his released material's been gradually decreasing. I'm sure I'll get some flak for saying this, but I think a lot of his recent stuff has been overrated and too premature to warrant actual publication. I think (maybe) he actually recognized that and wanted to refocus his efforts on being productive to the magic community rather than cluttering it with more filler. I think that's admirable.

Of everything d:M released, I think his most valuable efforts may be found in his first two sets of lecture notes. The Dangerous DVDs were pretty decent as well and acted as a nice supplement to them. These items are among my favorite of his contributions. He's a solid thinker and I think his creativity really shined its brightest in those works.

RS.

I agree completely. I really enjoyed his older work, but most of his new stuff has had little interest to me.

Okay all of your feedback is great, so just to confirm if i bought M is would be as a book or download ?

It has been said loads of times, as well as being stated on d+M's website, all is books are available as download only.

You getting loads of useful info here, but you are still asking the same daft question that has already been answered. You will learn very little from this forum if you don't read peoples posts properly.

Rev

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results