M By Daniel Madison

Hi Guys!

Well, since no one else has so far I thought I'd do one.

According to D's intro, "this is how it ends", and I think its a pretty good one if that is correct.

Just a little warning, to create some of these effects you will need to make your own gimmicks. I know this is what people expect from D, but I just thought I'd let you know. You'll need some spare cards and a couple of spare card cases.

Now, lets get reviewing!

COFFEE AND SMOKES

This is pretty good and I think I'm going to use it. It's relatively easy and uses a move that D has taught in his ONE lecture notes and on Dangerous. Without giving away the method, I think possibly the only problem with this is holding too many cards and accidentally...well you sort of get the idea.

C+S PREQUEL

According to D, this was going to be a main effect in BURN, but I'm guessing that the use of coffee stains took it out.

Those with BURN will know what they needed to create the gimmicks in BURN, so I say to you, Its time to crack them out again for this cool effect. I think it might be a bit too clever for some laypeople to understand, but experimenting can only tell us that.

CRUSH

This is one of the reasons why I bought this effect. It just sounds so abstract and impossible. while writing this I can't help myself but to think of the gimmick and the move. IT IS SO SIMPLE! Definetly worth getting the book for!

RUSH

This is the other reason why I bought the book. Again the method is just stupidly easy. This uses the Crush gimmick and something else that D uses in a few of his notes. Very effective and very easy!

DROP

I personally don't think that the time it takes to make up this trick will be worth it for the reactions. Its a bit like the outlaw deck, just without cardswritten on the back. ( this isn't the method so there is no need to edit it out!)

Again, D has kept it simple. It seems to be a theme running through this book.

depending on your enviroment, this may work wonders for you, but personally I don't like it.

INTRANSPO

If you can't guess by the title, this is a transposition effect. Again, this is not for me. the first part relies on chance and even though the concept is good, I don't think I would get the reactions that I think others might get. I think it would work for younger people better than an older audience that will just say 'That was clever'.

7CROWS

THIS. IS. CLEVER!

After buying the book I looked at this and suddenly realised the potential. D goes through all the possibilities and all the word links. The only thing I think would be better is the layout, only because he describes the cards and there values first, and I kept going back on it to find out about the card part which is after it.

This just requires great memory and the ability to connect with your audience. This should be easy If you are a performer which I hope you all are.

I say again, this is clever, and it could make it in a book by itself.

if you are a mentalist, buy the book for this!

OUTCAST

This is basically the oulaw deck revised. I would say that if you have the outlaw deck don't buy this book for it.

I think the principle is also the same, but I'm not certain.

WRECK

Lastly we come to possibly the most effective trick in the book. D says that he didn't want to put it in as he personally gets brilliant reactions from it.

the only problem could be that you don't have enough spare cards to rip, but If you think about it I'm sure that there is a method which minimises the destroying of cards each time the effect is done.

Its method is a bit like the new version of Wrath, just...Purer.

All together, M is a great collection of tricks, and if this is Daniels last book, it is a great ending to the underground artists legacy.

Enjoy!

Simon_Magic

Jan 13, 2008
nice review, i will buy this, is this really his last book?
will he still be releasing ricks through video downloads and DVDs?
It's his last anything, for a while. He's going on a creative hiatus.

And thanks for the review! I'll have to pick this up, as I've enjoyed some of his stuff in the past. :)

Sep 2, 2007
he said that there will still be releases by him (his book, etc.) just he won;t be active in the magic community.

Jan 13, 2008
he said that there will still be releases by him (his book, etc.) just he won;t be active in the magic community.
Well, releases he's already planned to release. But, by the sounds of it, he's not planning anything beyond those, and is in fact pulling some of (all of?) his stuff off the shelves by the end of the year.

Aug 20, 2008
Las Vegas
Great stuff in here! I love d+Ms thinking, I was definitely inspired to go off on a brainstorming session more than a few times throughout. I have to give him mad props for CRUSH! I've been working on a similar plot recently and he just nailed it! His follow up, RUSH, is a great piece of visual magic. Definitely check this one out, highly recommended!!

bSmith

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results