Stage Magic - Audience Participation

Feb 12, 2009
Hey, i'm gonna be performing for a school event in about 2 weeks and i will like to know how do i get audience participation, like for example, make them volunteer for a routine or trick, because in my country, seldom people tend to volunteer in things and i was just wondering how do i get the crowd going?

Jul 13, 2009
Play a clapping game? A follow the leader type of game before the show starts might condition the audience to be more receptive to audience participation. I don't know this for sure it is just what I use when I need to break the ice with a new group of people at work.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think the best thing is just to pick someone, not someone looking overly shy, or overly confident. My line for doing this is something like, "I need an assistant for this one...you sir, what's your name? Excellent, can we all give [NAME] a round of applause as he comes and joins me on stage." I haven't actually asked him if he wants to come on stage, I've just assumed it, and once the rest of the audience start applauding he's got no choice.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To build on TeeDee's post - [Scan the audience for a suitable helper] "I need an assistant for this one..." [Look at spectator] "You sir, what's your name? ...Excellent-" [Turn to rest of the audience, away from spectator] "...can we all give x a round of applause as he comes and joins me on stage." [Glance back to make sure he's coming]. -That's advice coming from Andy Nyman's fantastic DVD set, Get Nyman.

As far as participation goes, try and keep the audience personally involved by getting as many people as possible to do something for your effect, or get them thinking about something, etc. More details are a little bit harder without knowing your set.

You can always throw things at them. Seriously.

A lot of stage performers throw amusing props into the audience and whoever catches the prop joins the magician on stage. Think stuffed animals or beach balls. I distinctly remember Copperfield joking about throwing a brick into the audience-- of course, it was made of styrofoam. If you can make a gag out of the bit, you'll get audience participaton and a decent laugh from everyone.

RS.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
You can always throw things at them. Seriously.

A lot of stage performers throw amusing props into the audience and whoever catches the prop joins the magician on stage. Think stuffed animals or beach balls. I distinctly remember Copperfield joking about throwing a brick into the audience-- of course, it was made of styrofoam. If you can make a gag out of the bit, you'll get audience participaton and a decent laugh from everyone.

RS.

and Derren Brown at the Evening of Wonders threw freesbies at people.
By the way Andy Nyman's tips are awesome

George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results