An introduction from a new member...

Aug 4, 2009
Hi.. I'm Dave. I'm new here.

just a little background..

I started learning bar tricks (toothpick puzzles and the like) on my honeymoon a little over 2 years ago. When I got back, I learned the "disappearing cigarette" trick off of youtube.

My mother-in-law picked me up a svengali deck at the dollar store near my house, and from then on, I always had a pack or two of cards on me. I've learned a lot of tricks and a few slights off of youtube, expertvillage, metacafe, and other such sites.

I'd like to get better with slights and learn a few more. My right hand is in somewhat of a permanent claw from an injury, so learning slights can be a bit trying, but I haven't come across one that I can't nearly almost do.

I'm here to learn, and if I can pass along any information that helps someone out, I shall.

I joined this forum because I'm looking for the "right way" to learn card and other close-up magic. Just briefly looking through the threads, I found some really good advice.

I'm looking forward to everything everyone has to offer.

Jul 14, 2008
Hi, welcome to Theory11! We are very happy to guide you the right way and starting the journey an your card magic. For begineers, I highly suggest you to buy Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College Series. They are great books and contains more materials that you'll ever know. If it doesn't convince you, check out these reviews. Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Sounds awesome! Sorry to hear about the injury, it shouldn't hinder your learning process too much. If you havn't already, I'd suggest taking a look at this page.

I'd be really glad to help with pretty much anything, as I'm sure most of the members of this forum would be as well. Hit me up with a PM if you need anything. I'm not exactly professional, but I'll try my best to help you out :p.

edit: was about to suggest the books mentioned above as well. I was beaten to it ;)

Mar 16, 2009
USA
Welcome, I see someone else already helped you out a little and linked you to the beginner video, that has great recommendations and info in it. Theory11 is a great magic site. Glad you are trying to learn magic properly. Enjoy your stay haha. I feel your pain (literally) my wrist is badly hurt too.

Aug 4, 2009
Hi, welcome to Theory11! We are very happy to guide you the right way and starting the journey an your card magic. For begineers, I highly suggest you to buy Royal Road to Card Magic or Card College Series. They are great books and contains more materials that you'll ever know. If it doesn't convince you, check out these reviews. Royal Road to Card Magic and Card College

thanks. I've had those books suggested to me before.. I'm too broke right now to get them.. are there any dvds that teach the same principles? I'm a very visual learner.

Sounds awesome! Sorry to hear about the injury, it shouldn't hinder your learning process too much. If you havn't already, I'd suggest taking a look at this page.

I'd be really glad to help with pretty much anything, as I'm sure most of the members of this forum would be as well. Hit me up with a PM if you need anything. I'm not exactly professional, but I'll try my best to help you out :p.

edit: was about to suggest the books mentioned above as well. I was beaten to it ;)

Actually, as I've found out through the video on the link you posted, my hand is in a semi-permanent mechanic's grip. Thanks for the link.. now I know that this is much more than just a forum site!

Nov 14, 2007
Mexico City
thanks. I've had those books suggested to me before.. I'm too broke right now to get them.. are there any dvds that teach the same principles? I'm a very visual learner...

Royal Road to Card Magic is only about $10; whereas it's version on DVD costs, if I remember correctly, around $70. Card College ye can start off with Volume 1 only ($32); or start with the 1-on-1's suggested, which are quite cheap.

Mar 14, 2008
Welcome to the forums. I suggest watching this video first. If you find that you're into card magic, I highly recommend going here for book suggestions. Sure, it may be a lot to read, but it will greatly help.

P.S. I wouldn't spend much money at first, as you may decide that you don't like magic later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As a sidenote: Visual learners actually learn well from books.

Anyway. CJ's list is a good and comprehensive one. As were Royal Road and Card College. You may also want to look into Tarbell's books. The only problem with the Dan and Dave is this: ideally you want to approach a broad range of magic. I started out as a card magician but have since developed into, primarily, a mentalist. Hence a lot of books I would still love to own and learn from, have to take second place to other products which will benefit me more in the short term.

As far as books and DVDs go, Royal Road has a DVD set but Card College does not. I do sympathise with learning better from DVDs. However, it must be said that at this point, the vast majority of the best information on magic available, of any sort, will be in books, and sooner or later they will be unavoidable if you want to progress.

Hope this helps :)

Aug 4, 2009
As a sidenote: Visual learners actually learn well from books.

Anyway. CJ's list is a good and comprehensive one. As were Royal Road and Card College. You may also want to look into Tarbell's books. The only problem with the Dan and Dave is this: ideally you want to approach a broad range of magic. I started out as a card magician but have since developed into, primarily, a mentalist. Hence a lot of books I would still love to own and learn from, have to take second place to other products which will benefit me more in the short term.

As far as books and DVDs go, Royal Road has a DVD set but Card College does not. I do sympathise with learning better from DVDs. However, it must be said that at this point, the vast majority of the best information on magic available, of any sort, will be in books, and sooner or later they will be unavoidable if you want to progress.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I recently got a hold of Card College.. it's a great read. I thought that I would learn best from videos, but the descriptive writing is better than a video.. I'm only at the part where you learn how to hold a deck and cut, but I was still following along with a smile.. which says a lot.. holding a deck is pretty mundane. I have never just held a deck with such mirth.

And thank you to every one that has pointed me in the right direction. I needed to learn the foundations. And now I am. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mar 18, 2009
welcome to the sight man. it's good that you have already gotten some great help and things to get you along your journey. i hope you stick with it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results