Four Months of the Classic Pass

May 31, 2008
Here is a video of me performing the Herman Shift after four months of practice. It still needs work, I would highly appreciate some advice.

It's not at performing level yet, but I wanted to get some opinions before I continue to practice. I want to make sure I'm not doing something really stupid.

http://www.vimeo.com/6042625

The password is: DaveyG Sucks

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Here is a video of me performing the classic pass after four months of practice. It still needs work, I would highly appreciate some advice.

http://www.vimeo.com/6042625

First of all, there isnt need of speeding a bit the video, it looks obvious.

Now onto the pass, I really thought that you were practicing the classic pass all this time!

To be sincere im not that familiar with this kind of pass (the closest thing that I do is the outjogged herman shift) but here you go a couple of tips

*You are raising way too much the left hand, there is a lot of movement there.

*you can see the two packets being brought toguether, try blending a natural action to have both hands on the deck, try to do a all around square up just after the shift, to disguise the two packets beong brought toguether.

Now to be sincere, there are a couple of reasons of why I dont like this shift and I will tell you why.

The angles are pretty bad:

*if they look from the front, they will caught you

*if they look from the right, they will caught you, you either need a eagle vision angle(I dont know how to call that ), or to have people at your left (where your left hand is providing cover) to actually pull off the pass.

If you have the money I would recommend to buy the Aaron fisher's outjogged herman shift sleight from here, its great and it will show you some great things about technique with this kind of pass.

Hope that helped.

May 31, 2008
First of all, there isnt need of speeding a bit the video, it looks obvious.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that I suddenly moved my hands quickly during the shift?

Now onto the pass, I really thought that you were practicing the classic pass all this time!

To be sincere im not that familiar with this kind of pass (the closest thing that I do is the outjogged herman shift) but here you go a couple of tips

*You are raising way too much the left hand, there is a lot of movement there.

*you can see the two packets being brought toguether, try blending a natural action to have both hands on the deck, try to do a all around square up just after the shift, to disguise the two packets beong brought toguether.

Now to be sincere, there are a couple of reasons of why I dont like this shift and I will tell you why.

The angles are pretty bad:

*if they look from the front, they will caught you

*if they look from the right, they will caught you, you either need a eagle vision angle(I dont know how to call that ), or to have people at your left (where your left hand is providing cover) to actually pull off the pass.

If you have the money I would recommend to buy the Aaron fisher's outjogged herman shift sleight from here, its great and it will show you some great things about technique with this kind of pass.

Hope that helped.

Alright, thanks for that, I appreciate it. I will buy the outjogged Herman Shift, and re-read in Expert at the Card Table. I'm known for doing sleights incorrectly when I read them in words.

May 31, 2008
It actually meant that you actually "speed up" the video in the edition.

I don't really know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult.

I'm kind of insulted because I didn't. I don't even know if you can do that in iMovie.

Let's not start an argument, we don't want to end up like De'Vo and Andrei, haha

Jun 24, 2008
United States
It looks like your performing the Herman pass, not the classic pass. This is really the only pass i use in performance.

As stated you can clean it up nicely with an all around square up. The outjogged herman shift is exactly as it sounds, the herman shift with an outjogged card, so i think you'd like it.

But definetly find a better way to clean up, because you can see the two packets of cards
transposing. But as with everypass, there are angles, just practice on video camera at different angles to get them down.

I hope this helped!

~Nate

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Listen to the tips above. They should help.

A few things:

It's important to keep a sort of "frame" while doing the pass. A giveaway that a hermann pass is about to take place is that the top packet (soon-to- be bottom packet) drops or tilts inwards toward the hand to allow for more room for the bottom stock to be replaced on top. Try to keep this packet as steady as possible while the bottom stock is being moved around it.

Also, keep your left hand fingers gap-less when replacing the packets. It's easy to flash in this kind of shift. Angle the pack downward to eliminate the possibility of flashing from the front.

You want it to look as if you are simply squaring up the deck while you're doing the pass. Instead of dragging the top stock over onto the other half, tilt up the bottom stock with your left thumb as you let the top stock fall towards it. The thumb can then slide along the edge of the pack in a squaring motion as the packets coalesce. This way the packets don't have to travel as far to meet each other and you won't have to do as much work to cover the shift. As RD said, an all around square up is a nice way to finish it.

If you want to learn the classic pass I recommend rereading the original description again. The mechanics are very different from the hermann pass.

Good luck! Hope that helped a little.

May 31, 2008
Wow guys! Thanks for all the tips! If I could, I would change the name to "Four Months of the Herman Shift." Thanks for correcting me on that. I'll keep working with it. Thanks again.

May 31, 2008
I just finished watching Aaron Fisher's 1-ON-1 on the outjogged Herman Pass, and I loved it. He gave a lot of information on passes/shifts, that I'm going to need to write down. I'm going to continue to working on my Herman Shift.

I'm also going to buy a hard copy of "Expert at the Card Table" the one I have right now is an eBook, and I don't really read everything in eBooks like I do with actual books.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I didn't realize there were two pages.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I just finished watching Aaron Fisher's 1-ON-1 on the outjogged Herman Pass, and I loved it. He gave a lot of information on passes/shifts, that I'm going to need to write down. I'm going to continue to working on my Herman Shift.

I'm also going to buy a hard copy of "Expert at the Card Table" the one I have right now is an eBook, and I don't really read everything in eBooks like I do with actual books.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I didn't realize there were two pages.

I might have misunderstood you, but you seem to be under the impression that the Hermann Shift is taught in Expert at the Card Table. It's not. The closest thing to is is the "Erdnase Shift, Two Hands", but it is a totally different move.

May 31, 2008
I might have misunderstood you, but you seem to be under the impression that the Hermann Shift is taught in Expert at the Card Table. It's not. The closest thing to is is the "Erdnase Shift, Two Hands", but it is a totally different move.

No, I know that it isn't, I have an eBook of it, and I know that it isn't taught there. I just want to learn more about shifts/passes and card "mechanics" in general. I bought a hard copy on glamazon.com a few hours ago. I can't wait until it arrives!

Apr 22, 2010
Outjogged Herman 1-On-1 available?

Hi all

anybody knows if the outjogged Herman shift still available on 1 on 1?
I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hi all

anybody knows if the outjogged Herman shift still available on 1 on 1?
I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

No. It was taken down about last year. If you really want to learn the outjogged herman shift you can pick up Aaron Fisher book called the Paper Engine. It $25, but worth it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results