Best card prediction out there?

There are literally hundreds of thousands of card predictions available in print, video, and single-trick releases. What exactly are you looking for? In what type of venue are you performing? Stage? Close-up? Strolling?

If you want a great 100% accurate prediction, I recommend learning the Card in Pocket by Benjamin Earl in his Past Midnight DVD set. Its the method I use most often in both casual and formal close-up settings. It's probably the most traditional handling for the effect which you may read in alternate texts like Erdnase or Royal Road, but I believe Ben's subtleties make the DVD very well worth it. The DVDs have some great material otherwise as well.

If you're looking for a good poker-themed prediction, Daniel Madison's Heritage is pretty good as well. It's kind of like an interactive Open Prediction effect, but it has inherent emotional meaning to it that will appeal to a wide audience. I learned it from his "One" lecture notes, but I believe it's also taught on his Dangerous DVDs.

Joshua Jay released his Talk About Tricks DVDs last year and there was one effect that fooled me badly called the Llasser Open Prediction. It was the cleanest looking variant I've seen in a long time, but it's quite knacky and may take a few weeks of practice to effectively perform.

If you're looking for something completely pychological but very direct, look at the Anate force by Dee Christopher.

Look into the Berglas Effect.

Check out Derren Brown's material.

...And Banachek.

...Kenton Knepper's Kollassal Killer.

Man, there are literally countless--endless-- sources available to help you find what you're looking for. Feel free to get in touch if you want anymore information. As a mentalist, predictions play a major part of what I do and I love studying an performing different methods. Hope this helps.

RS.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well, I think that my 3 favorites on the market would have to be:

- Derren Brown's effect (don't recall the name) from The Devil's Picturebook I believe. Basically a single card placed on the table. The performer has them invisibly select a card from a deck of imaginary cards. The selection matches the prediction.
- Kenton's Kolossal Killer. Smart and fun. Not perfect, but close. ;)
- Dean Dill's Revelation. Very strong. Prediction envelope, across the room. Spectator draws any card they like in a binder. Prediction card in envelope is dumped out. Of course a perfect match.

I have come up with a absolutely Impossible Card Prediction.
I wanted to come up with the most impossible card prediction. I asked my self what would it look like, and this is what I came up with:

Absolutely Impossible Card Prediction.

-A card from a different deck is in a sealed envelope and is given to a spectator to guard. ((this is to ensure I never switch the envelope))

-A spectator removes the deck from the box, shuffles as much as they want, then puts them back into the box.
-Box is tossed to another spectator, who opens the box and deals out the cards onto the table, in a pile. ((this is to ensure the spectator who deals doesn't subconciously know the order form shuffling - impossible I know, but spectators come up with the craziest explanations. Not necessary, but I'm going for impossible/COLOR]))
-They stop when ever they want. They are given free choice to stop or continue or even take some back. ((I say to the spectator this is to ensure they have total free choice. I also indicate to them to not let me influence them at all. I even indicate that it will be the last card they dealt that will be their selection. ))
-Once they have stopped, the envelope is handed to the dealer in full view. The sectator opens the prediction and shows everyone. ((I usually use a jumbo card))
-The spectator turns over the card they stopped at, and of course it's always a perfect match.
-Everything is examinable before and after, and I never touch the deck at all the entire time. Oh, and the deck can be borrowed, and performed spur of the moment if you have the envelope. Spectators could actually watch you put the prediction card into the envelope. I suppose the prediction card could even be signed before you start if you wanted. I don't do that, I bring out the envelope already sealed. (hmm perhaps I should...)

The patter is about how it is the most impossible card trick. I never touch the deck the entire time, the prediction is in full view the entire time, the prediction is revealed before anyone looks at the spectators freely chosen card. It presents very well. They have nothing to grab onto because I eliminate every possibility. Dean's is very strong because a spectator just thinks of a card, but I wanted to eliminate the possibility that someone could think "well there are some cards that people just think of all the time" or "he influenced his mind and made him think of that card" etc.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
jtmorris, the Derren Brown effect you are thinking of would be either Invisible Deal or Invisible Deal Force, both are good.

True but I wouldn't suggest that for somebody here. Good Effects based on a Docc Hilford force. But unless you have a reputation as somebody other than a guy who does sleight of hand. It MIGHT not always work.

You could do the Open Prediction.

May 31, 2008
the blackpool effect

the blackpool effect by jay sankey is devastating. You write down a prediction on the top card of the deck. The spectator names any card they see from the deck as you spread it face up.

The prediction matches.

Then as a kicker, the card the prediction was written on changes into the named card.

Also, jay sankey has an application of his paperclipped effect on his 22 blows to the head.
Basically any card is named that is seen within the face up deck. A prediction from a different colored deck matches...

in addition, the super sharpie nail writer. Its direct, and totally impossible.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Actually you could use Paul Brooks "Dance at the Door of Deception" effect from Alchemical tools as a Prediction effect. From what I know of the effect is that it is totally clean. You take a borrowed deck, have them shuffle it and then pluck out a single card and memorize it. They then put it back in the deck and shuffle it as well. What you can do is simply write down the prediction and then reveal after wards. You do not touch the deck in way shape or form.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
True but I wouldn't suggest that for somebody here. Good Effects based on a Docc Hilford force. But unless you have a reputation as somebody other than a guy who does sleight of hand. It MIGHT not always work.

You could do the Open Prediction.

I perform exclusively as a mentalist at gigs, so I find that it works for me personally. But it's definitely true. I try not to be classed as a card technician. Anyway, that was just because jtm mentioned it, to clarify.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I perform exclusively as a mentalist at gigs, so I find that it works for me personally. But it's definitely true. I try not to be classed as a card technician. Anyway, that was just because jtm mentioned it, to clarify.

I appreciate that. So having a mentalist show, do you do a card prediction? I assume you could only really do one (more than one would be too repetitive), so which one do you do? I do my perfect prediction. The one Dee suggested looks good, but lack a longer routine (making it very good for walkaround) and leaves a lot of 'solutions' for the spectator (assuming they really break it down and think it through, which granted most wont)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Actually you could use Paul Brooks "Dance at the Door of Deception" effect from Alchemical tools as a Prediction effect. From what I know of the effect is that it is totally clean. You take a borrowed deck, have them shuffle it and then pluck out a single card and memorize it. They then put it back in the deck and shuffle it as well. What you can do is simply write down the prediction and then reveal after wards. You do not touch the deck in way shape or form.

The effect is called "At the Doors of Perception". No dance, doors plural, and perception rather than deception. But the description of the effect is accurate, and it is a good one.

@ jtmorris, I vary between several, though only one per routine. Though I have a fondness for psychological methodology, which is why I keep several. I'm in the middle of renovating my core group of effects so this may change soon but currently, they would be the Invisible Deal, and variations on the Kollosal Killer and Brainwave effects respectively, the former without outs and the latter using only four cards.

May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Invisible deck

I agree with those who said invisible deck as that is a fantastic effect which is so easy and requires just great presentation
You could also check out rainwave deck or the grail as they are also very good effects
Josh

Sep 2, 2007
London
If you like the Derren Brown psychological style, the you may be interested in a small publication called Direct: A Concept in Non-Contact Mind Reading, by Tom Denton, which will be on sale over the next couple of weeks. The main effect is essentially that someone thinks of any card they like and you tell them what it is. You can play it as mind-reading, or as prediction, because you can commit yourself to your choice of card before they even make their decision.

I will declare an interest, in that I am Tom Denton, so I am naturally quite biased in it's favour. There is a shoddy and hastily-put together trailer for it on YouTube, although I don't think it's a particularly visual effect so that probably won't add much to your understanding of what it's all about.

Jul 10, 2009
Invisible Deck

I have to agree with everyone else on this thread who is saying the invisible deck, check out ellusionist they have some good ones!

-jack

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
The Devils Touch by Daniel Madison. You can predict literally anything, even something the spectator made up in their mind right then and there.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I've used Heirloom a bit, it's a pretty good effect, but I don't feel that it's too effective when the letter comes out.

Check out Elsdon's new(ish) routine Heirloom Redux, you can get it from alakazam as an instant download, much cleaner. CHECK IT OUT!

D.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I personally don't like predictions as card effects.

Most of them seem over done adding wallets, envelopes pockets are well at least in my eyes adding a prop for the sake of adding one and more often than not it does not add to the effect. To say I have a card in my wallet and remove the named card is great on some level the audience wants to know how many cards are in there, maybe not right away but eventually.

The open prediction is a very nice effect effect and some methods are very close to the conditions of 51 Faces North.

Personally my favourite methods involve placing a card on the table and that being that. To achieve that there are many methods that can be used to achieve this, send me an pm if you want to talk about the pros and cons of them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results