Cheating Buying

Truthfully! Have you ever used youtube etc to learn a trick that you have to pay for

• yes

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • no

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters
May 17, 2009
United Kingdom
Hey, I would just like to quickly vent my frustration about the fact that there are videos posted all over the place on how to do some of magics greatest effects. These videos can be watched by anyone even laymen.
I was looking up Aaron Fisher's search and destroy on youtube the other night to see if I could get some other views of the trick. The page that came up when I typed in 'Aaron Fisher's Search and destroyed' was filled with tutorials. This happens with all tricks and I feel it is wrong that there is such open access to these guarded secrets. Surely there is something that magicians can do to stop people from doing this as it is ruining magic. Not only do I believe that it is wrong that the true artist doesn't get the reward he deserves for creating an effect and teaching it well but the fact is these videos probably don't even teach the tricks well.
We really need to stop this!
And yes I know there has been threads about this however I needed to put my opinion in
Josh

Jan 13, 2008
And yes I know there has been threads about this however I needed to put my opinion in
Josh
And you couldn't do that in one of the other threads? :confused:

And the solution is for the pros to stop releasing effects. Not only would there no longer be anything to be revealed, but it would really send a strong message to the magic community--if you want to steal our effects, then we won't stand for it.

I can see that being effective because pros still share amongst themselves, that's never really changed, so it won't hurt them at all in that sense (although, it would hurt those artist who only create for a living and no longer perform--so I suppose it would only really be effective for those who decide to perform to put food on the table). But the biggest thing is that most people who buy their effects aren't nearly as creative as the pros, especially when they don't have the pros effects to use as inspiration (for those minority of "common" magicians who do create their own effects)...so the hope would be that people would realize how much they truly rely on the pros releasing work, and thus come to respect them more (I doubt it would happen, but that would be the hope).

The backlash to that is that it would hurt those who don't steal their work, and it would really dry up the magic market of new concepts and ideas to build off of.

My point? It's a complicated issue. I was just looking at one possible avenue to take, and that itself has some pretty complicated implications. Taking into account even more "solutions", it would get very messy, as most solutions cause more problems that need to be taken into account, as well.

Hey, I would just like to quickly vent my frustration about the fact that there are videos posted all over the place on how to do some of magics greatest effects. These videos can be watched by anyone even laymen.

I'll let you in on a little secret. The laymen will NOT go home and look your trick up on youtube.

I was looking up Aaron Fisher's search and destroy on youtube the other night to see if I could get some other views of the trick. The page that came up when I typed in 'Aaron Fisher's Search and destroyed' was filled with tutorials.

Thanks. Now I know where I can go to learn it! (not really, I already own the trick.)
This happens with all tricks and I feel it is wrong that there is such open access to these guarded secrets.

Lets be honest. How guarded are the secrets really? For a few bucks, ANYONE can know how do these tricks. And that's the problem with magic being sold on the internet.

Surely there is something that magicians can do to stop people from doing this as it is ruining magic.

What? First, there is nothing we can do to stop this. And second, IT'S NOT RUINING MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't want your spectators to look it up on youtube (Which they most likely won't anyway) simply don't give them the name of the trick.

We really need to stop this!
Magic Secret Ninja Defense Force Delta GO!!!!

How do you propose we do that?
Josh

as said before, why not do that in one of the other threads?

I'm not for youtube magic revelation. But it's not as big a deal as people think.

Jul 26, 2009
Canada
I'm not gonna lie. I have looked up tutorials on youtube, back when I was first starting magic. I'm sure alot of us have, even if we won't admit it. I've also just figured out how to do certain tricks on youtube, just by watching kids who still need practice performing. However, I still buy lots of effects, because honestly, theres alot more to doing effects than just knowing the plain secret behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
A little over three years ago, I looked up a tutorial for Stigmata. I bought the DVD a week later though, so I don't think that really counts.

you looked up the tutorial? then it counts. Doesnt matter if you bought it or not, its still unethical to do so in the first place.

But lets ask a real question.

Is that same thing unethical if someone plain just cant afford the certain book set or set of DVDs? Someone that truly is trying to learn? Of course we are talking about uploaded DVDs and PDFs, not bull**it younoob.

Its the robin hood theory really.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
In truth, When I began in magic I look into youtube. Than found out about theory11. So when Saw tricks on T11 I went to youtube. I found biddle and triumph, But those tricks are every where. I know is wrong and now I buy some 1 on 1 when I got the money. But don't they copyright their trick. I don't go back to youtube unless to see soccer or learn some flourshing. Don't worried about me making a tutorial on subway because I don't have a carame and I spend 5 dollars and I going to show this trick to somebody who doesn't even buy a 5 dollar trick. I losting money and not winning anything. The truth is that teens don't have the money to buy some trick, but Have a summer job. Will in my opinion is not right

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I'll be honest, I looked up a few tutorials back in the day. I agree, though, it was extremely unethical and stupid, and I shouldn't have done it. I was new to magic, but that is no excuse.

Jul 25, 2009
Everyone did in the begining.I did. I dont anymore though. about a month into magic I found out you won't get good by watching tutorials for "The Worlds Greatest Card Trick and stupid perody tutorials by people that have no life. Also I found something that now I feel is wrong. Someone uploaded the ENTIRE ninja 1 dvd :eek: ,luckily a few days later it was down but the damage was already done. Also i've seen tutorials for W:H's indecent. :(

Truth is

yes ....i first started magic by learning from my uncle, showed only me his secrets...and in case you are wondering why??? he's my uncle, thats the only reason some people need, and i didn't want to know the secrets to spill my guts....i wanted to learn to perform......

wether its youtube or someone that we know, we have all learned effects without buying...hell, even magicians now a days gets it from other magicians....its life.....so wether we learned from youtube or another person its learned without buying...

i'm not sure who said this....but we should tell the names of these effects.....and it'll help out....to keep laymen from learning...i been doing magic for quite some time and no one ever came to me and said hey i know how u did that....i saw it on youtube...they want me to keep performing...its not that big of a deal....

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Everyone did in the begining.I did. I dont anymore though. about a month into magic I found out you won't get good by watching tutorials for "The Worlds Greatest Card Trick and stupid perody tutorials by people that have no life. Also I found something that now I feel is wrong. Someone uploaded the ENTIRE ninja 1 dvd :eek: ,luckily a few days later it was down but the damage was already done. Also i've seen tutorials for W:H's indecent. :(

I can honestly say the only tutorials Ive looked up are for flourishes.
Since I began magic when I was about 7 my natural instinct was to go to a bookstore,not the internet. I almost did get into that "trading tricks" that was going on but my father convinced me otherwise.

P.S. whats with your sig? Whered you pull that number from?
So rap isnt considered good music then? I dont consider Paramore,hawthorne heights and panic at the disco to be good music but to say that an ENTIRE genre is bad is just plain ignorant.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
I think yeah its ok to do it, in the current climate with a lot of cheap gimmick tricks, you should see what your buying beforehand, you dont buy a car, and then suddenly realise its diesel.

I think yeah its ok to do it, in the current climate with a lot of cheap gimmick tricks, you should see what your buying beforehand, you dont buy a car, and then suddenly realise its diesel.

WOW, I sure hope you're wearing Flame-retardant underwear, because you're gonna get flamed for that so much that it's going to burn. (By others of course, I'm not going to flame you..)

But really, why should you know the method before hand? You get to see what the spectators see, and isn't that what matters? Isn't magic for the spectator? Also, when was the last time you watched a youtube tutorial, then went and bought the product afterwords? Youtube tutorials STEAL from the creator of the trick, please think about that next time you are watching a 12 year old show you how to do a trick that he downloaded illegally. Also, your metaphor hardly applies as when you buy a car, you are expected to KNOW that it's diesel, that's not a secret.

Jul 13, 2009

That is what reviews are for sheesh doesn't anyone browse the ginii forums, and the cafe for reviews? Heck the review and the creators are practically throwing the method at you right on an open forum, all it takes is a little searching.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results