First payed gig!

I was at a pub last weekend and did some magic for one of the owners!
He was stunned, went home to get his wife to come meet me.
We talked about the oppertunity of me coming a couple nights a month to perform for the guests.
They wanted to book me for their son's 11th birthday this sunday.

I need suggestions for a routine....
I know alot of you guys to kids birthdays.

Here's what I was thinking about doing.

- Crazy man's
- Slink
- Rubber bands jumping between my fingers
- Red hot mama (with wolf presentation, Check card magic forum for explenation)
- My own version of hitman
- A sandwich trick followed by search and destroy.
- Sinful
- and finally angle zero

Please comment or bash!

Dec 26, 2007
I would reccomend something besides cards, like rope or sponge magic and remember, KEEP THEM INVOLVED! good luck to you though and congrats on getting the job!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Some of your effects may not play well for that age group. Remember: kids love very visual things such as silks, ropes, vanishes, appearances, 6 bill repeat (money), penetrations, change bag routines, effects with balloons, sponge balls, d'lites, funny gags every now and then, etc.

I normally only do 1 card effect for kids shows because I've tried two or three and they stop paying attention. I would ditch all of your card effects except one.

I did crazy man hand cuffs for a kids show once and it went over their heads. They had no idea what had happened and could have cared less. The jumping rubber bands from finger to finger might be ok to keep. Sinful will play well since the child is 11 and not young like 5 or 6.

As other have mentioned....GET THE KIDS INVOLVED. Let them come up and be in the show and laugh and have a great time. Don't be afraid to act silly yourself but do not force it.

Good luck and congrats. If you have any other specific questions don't be afraid to ask. I have about 10 kids shows under my belt. By no means am I an expert but I've learned quite a bit in those gigs.

Kid shows are weird because the parents want to see good magic that you probably showed them at the pub...and they like that...but that is NOT the same as what kids are into.

I truly appreciate your advice. I been in magic a year and like I said it's my first gig.
I have been working with kids and teens for about 7 years so I hope that helps me connect with them! I exited and nervous at the same time. I feel my magic goes better with adults and teenagers.
I bet I'll learn ALOT from this.
I plan on giving the birthday boy a deck of cards at the end if he's are really interested in my magic!

Jul 10, 2009
tricks for gig

I would recommend that you get involved alot with the audience like some others have been saying. Walk around, be yourself and do impromptu magic (personally I would do it because at parties if you do stage magic it all seems like a gimmick to the spectator.) Have fun and be creative. ALSO, Borrow peoples stuff for magic to. i.e. coins, bills ect.

-jack

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Audience Interaction is key. If I were there, I'd like the show to be just as much about me having fun as it is about the magician.

Remember that!

G

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would recommend that you get involved alot with the audience like some others have been saying. Walk around, be yourself and do impromptu magic (personally I would do it because at parties if you do stage magic it all seems like a gimmick to the spectator.) Have fun and be creative. ALSO, Borrow peoples stuff for magic to. i.e. coins, bills ect.

-jack

From all of my paid gig experience, adult and kids shows, I never show up and do impromptu off the cuff material but that is just me. I wouldn't walk around and stroll at a kids birthday party. You are the center of attention and hopefully the birthday child as well.

Especially for a kids show like this is going to be for him. I would think you would want a set routine because the kids will be seated or standing and ready to watch.
Kids do not care if it is a show with gimmicked props. All they care about is being entertained and having a blast. Happy kids = happy parents.

Just my two cents.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results