Birthday... Need I say more?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Hey guys. I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I have a major question.

My birthday is coming up. I pretty much have about $100 to spend on magic. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm basically an intermediate card dude who would like to improve. I need stuff that's really good without being overly expensive. Plus, I'd also like to start in cardistry and maybe some money/general tricks. I'd like to be able to get card magic stuff, with a little bit of cardistry (maybe a few cuts or random flourishes) and coin/general (maybe a nice bill switch or something impromptu).

1-on-1's are out for me. It sucks.

Things I'm considering

-The Trilogy OR D+D PDF Bundle (Five, Full Metal Jacket, Sleightly Magical, NR1,2,3
-The Paper Engine
-Xtreme Beginnerz
-Crash Course 2 (though I know a lot of it)
-Swing Change by Daniel Madison

Any questions, comments, please, yes.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2008
United States
i would say definitely get the Paper Engine if your looking to improve in cards. Aaron Fisher goes into extreme detail in every sleight, and effect, and ive had the book for a year, and am still getting new stuff out of it, highly recomended.

Sorry i cannot comment on any of the other things your considering because i dont have them. Hope this helped!!!

~Nate

Totally Out Of Control by Chris Kenner! Amazing card stuff, coin stuff, and some golden general tricks. Plus, since you cant get 1on1's, Chris Kenner's 1on1's are taught in TOoC.

Good stuff in there.

Hope this helps,
-Chase

Jun 1, 2009
Totally Out Of Control by Chris Kenner! Amazing card stuff, coin stuff, and some golden general tricks. Plus, since you cant get 1on1's, Chris Kenner's 1on1's are taught in TOoC.

Good stuff in there.

Hope this helps,
-Chase

Is 5 speed included?

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to get the PDF package, just because of the humongous amount of material there is, and the Trilogy is just like ten bucks over...it sounds crazy, I know. The Paper Engine will also be on my list, but Totally Out of Control seems a bit too pricey so I may just get a DVD.

Thanks again. Also, further recommendations would be nice!

Ian

Sep 1, 2007
Do you really need more material? We have all heard that a bad magician knows a hundred tricks that he performs poorly and a great magician knows a few tricks that he performs well.

My point is, you probably have enough material. Spend your money on acting/performing classes!

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Well I think that a good magician has a good arsenal that's he/she's practiced equally. You can do a few tricks well, but variety has to creep in sometime.

And I know of no acting/performing classes in my area.

And, plus, it's my birthday, and will probably be my last major purchase for a looooong time.

Ian

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well I think that a good magician has a good arsenal that's he/she's practiced equally. You can do a few tricks well, but variety has to creep in sometime.

And I know of no acting/performing classes in my area.

And, plus, it's my birthday, and will probably be my last major purchase for a looooong time.

Ian

Then books on performance theory.Theres no excuse.
You say variety but all you have listed is card magic.
If you want real variety branch out.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Firstly, I said I'd like some coin/general/cardistry stuff. Read the post man. I'd love to get that stuff. The list was only general recommendations, because I'm a big card guy.

And performance books are fine. Just list some.

Ian

Jun 14, 2008
First off, happy birthday (you know, whenever it is ;)).

Now, The Trilogy is good, but I personally don't find myself using much of the material; just something to think about.

How about Vol. 5 of Card College; Giobbi explains everything brilliantly and if you're "intermediate" as you say you are, then you should have no trouble in picking up the material quite quickly. Aside from that, the sheer amount of magic therein is amazing; one of my favourite books.

Also, although I haven't got it myself (I am currently looking at picking it up), James Chadier's "French Connexion" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0f9cILCww) looks amazing. It's largely overlooked, which means you'll get a lot of fresh magic; Matthieu Bich is involved, which means it's going to be mindblowingly creative, and lastly it's French; so you know it's going to be oh-so-smooth to look at. :)

In the same vein; have a look at Yannick Chretien's DVD. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JppUkGGzQa8&feature=related) Again, little known, but he has won awards from FISM, so this is no small-time hustler!;) In addition, his magic looks amazing, and if you're as passionate about sleight-of-hand as I am, you'll appreciate the miracles he presents.

Hope I helped, and enjoy your birthday ;)

Firstly, I said I'd like some coin/general/cardistry stuff. Read the post man. I'd love to get that stuff. The list was only general recommendations, because I'm a big card guy.

And performance books are fine. Just list some.

Ian
And I say once more: You need TOoC. It is exactly what you are looking for. Its around 40 bucks and contains 30 of the greatest tricks in any book. Coin: Hellbound spellbound or 3fry. General: The Missing Link or Into the Woods. Cardisty- SYBIL!! (THE MACDADDY OF ALL FLOURISHES!!!!) And thats only naming 5 things. Go watch all of Chris Kenner's 1on1's for a in depth "preview" of whats in the book. This book with allow you to branch out and add that "variety" that you were talking about.

As for theory, the two best books out there are Maximum Entertainment and Strong Magic. I have Strong Magic and it is without a doubt the greatest book on the subject of magic I have ever read. It will do wonders to your performance attitude and your overall perception of our art.

Or you can buy all card stuff and fail. :p

OH OH OH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

All the best,
-Chase

Sep 10, 2008
Buy Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. You can find it at penguin. Best purchase you will ever make if you actually read it. If you want tricks, get "In the Trenches" with Paul Green (Penguinmagic). Jeopardy (On the DVD) is an amazing routine and everything else is great too. I will use Jeopardy. It really isn't hard, and you don't have to do any false shuffles.

Dec 16, 2008
Happy Birthday!
Totally out of control is a good one if you want to get lot of great tricks (card, coin etc).
Paper Engine is good if you want to improve powerful sleight of hand :)
Triology, not my favor but they are ok. Tired of watching all sybil cuts :mad:
Other recommendation:
- Lecture note by Justin Miller
- Strolling hands DVD ( both coin and card, but almost gimmick included)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results