Keep the audience fresh ... ?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay , so when i first perform for people that i never performed before , they are amazed and i get great reaction but after a few days when i perform for them again , they don't get that same reaction even though i change the presentation and the trick. Maybe because i performed too much the first time i met them.

So how do you get great reaction from someone you've been performing for, and how much time do you perform for random people the first time you met them.

May 29, 2009
I suggest you show a differ trick for the people you are performing again, if you want to change your presentation try it on differ groups of ppl. Normally for me, if i had perform a trick for the same people i will perform a differ card trick for them to see. By the way, what is the trick you perform for the group of people tat you say you perform twice?

Jun 22, 2009
they don't get that same reaction even though i change the presentation and the trick. Maybe because i performed too much the first time i met them.

I suggest you show a differ trick for the people you are performing again, if you want to change your presentation try it on differ groups of ppl. Normally for me, if i had perform a trick for the same people i will perform a differ card trick for them to see. By the way, what is the trick you perform for the group of people tat you say you perform twice?

He doesn't perform the same trick..

Aug 4, 2009
I work at a bar, and towards closing time (granted, it's not the most sober audience), I'll sometimes do tricks. I limit it to 2 or 3 card tricks and one "other" trick.. like a bar magic trick, a toothpick puzzle, a Gecko vanish, or a "stupid human trick" (can elaborate, but not this thread).

I think limiting yourself to a few tricks and some variation might help. I always start with something light, but with a pretty good effect (like 2 card monte or 673 King St.. based off of 'Sam the Bellhop..' youtube for clarification), a packet trick (jumping geminis or this that the other), and a strong, visual last one (burnout is my favorite.. especially with flash string).

hope that helps.. it works on the drunks at my bar. some people have brought their friends in the next night just to see me do a trick that I preformed the night before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Don't limit yourself to just the same people. Family and friends are great to practice with, but you really shouldn't perform to the same people over again. You lose you 'magical moment' when you do. Try to open, have a memorable middle, and then close. Three effect should do fine as long as they work together with one another!

Go out, look for some other people, have fun!

G

May 26, 2009

Well , i perform for the same people twice not twice the same trick. And i perform every trick that i'm good at and not the trick that i'm currently learning

May 26, 2009
Don't limit yourself to just the same people. Family and friends are great to practice with, but you really shouldn't perform to the same people over again. You lose you 'magical moment' when you do. Try to open, have a memorable middle, and then close. Three effect should do fine as long as they work together with one another!

Go out, look for some other people, have fun!

G

Well i would like to perform a maximum of 3 effects per audience but after the 3 effects , they just sit there starring at me waiting for another one... How do you deal with that ... ?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Then that means you need a definite closer. My current walk around closer ends with my ending the performance, and indeed leaving before the final revelation takes place. It sounds like some knowledge of theatre would benefit you a lot, and performance theory in general.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Well i would like to perform a maximum of 3 effects per audience but after the 3 effects , they just sit there starring at me waiting for another one... How do you deal with that ... ?

Try (to reiterate what Praetoritevong said) having a BAM! closer. In other words, an effect where the spectator definitely knows it's all finished. An often used example is a deck vanish with a card revelation, where you can just shake their hand in the end, say thank you - whatnot.

G

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Try (to reiterate what Praetoritevong said) having a BAM! closer. In other words, an effect where the spectator definitely knows it's all finished. An often used example is a deck vanish with a card revelation, where you can just shake their hand in the end, say thank you - whatnot.

G

Ok thanks for the advice , I'll definitely do that

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results