The new "ANY EFFECT" battle

May 31, 2008
Nice job Philal, I had a little trouble understanding sometimes, but it was really good. The patter was very good, but I wonder, did you come up with the patter? If so, nice job.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
@ DaveyG: You had too much dead time where nothing was happening, and it showed because the spectators found it almost embarrassingly necessary to say something to fill up the silence. Adam Sandler does not make for good patter, unfortunately, it just takes away from the effect. You lose concentration from the audience, focus, tension, etc. Also, you rock around too much, and your general body language doesn't suggest confidence or authority. Actually, back to a previous point - there was practically no patter. We can see that the spec's card is going into the middle of the deck, we don't need to be told. And again, the lack of patter made a rather awkward silence, which caused all the other problems. Ultimately I think these things took away from the final reactions, which became evident when the camera panned to their faces. So I hope this shows you how important patter and indeed presentation is to an effect. Without it, it's nothing at all.

@ Philal: I'm a bit 50:50 with your routine. On one hand, I liked the presentation, a lot. The presentation was very well constructed, and there was a solid kicker ending. The script made sense, you've obviously made an effort to memorise said script, and it works. Actually, I'm just gonna say this again, because I wish a lot more people would try and script routines like you did. It's a VERY good script that was clever and made sense. So what's the downside? Well, for one, I will say firstly that I don't know you - but I kinda got the feeling that the person who was performing, wasn't you. I don't know if this is true or not, but a lot of it came off as exactly that, a script - I'm not sure you did the script justice, or at least, that the script suited you. Obviously, a performing persona can be someone who is different from who you are; but if it doesn't ring true, there's no point. You pulled off the script surprisingly well, but I just couldn't help but get that niggling feeling that that sort of script was a more philosophical kind of conversation than you'd be used to having. It felt like you were having trouble articulating some of the ideas in your patter. So in the end, in some parts, I felt that in particular your tone of voice gave away that it was in fact just a script (though a clever one, again, at that), and that you had memorised it (you could still know it a little better, but given everything, not a big deal, though you still could do better).

The other issue I had with your routine, was something I mentioned earlier. It had a great kicker ending. But, I feel like something's missing. The shot glass did indeed feel like a kicker ending, which meant that I don't feel like the routine had a proper ending. If you've ever seen Eric Mead's performance that was put up here a while back, you'll see what I mean - he does magic with cards in a water bottle, and as a kicker, he proposes a toast, by pouring water out of there. So I feel that there should be at least one other revelation in there somewhere, but that's just me.

Philal, though I have gone on at length about some of the flaws of your routine, I still want you to understand that that was one of the more impressive routines I've seen on Theory11 from its members, and certainly it was of the quality I'd expect from a working professional. That said, flaws are still flaws, though they are more structural flaws than technique flaws. But it was very well constructed. The fact is that very few people script routines properly. This was a rare and refreshing exception. But work doesn't stop there - you're a mile ahead of most, but you still have other things to do, because as well as that played, I think you could have a presentation that works better for you/your persona - even if you simply reworded it in simpler terms - but the philosophical discussion, whilst clever, didn't seem to be a tight enough fit, I think it could be done even better, to mould it to you. I don't know if the presentation was in fact your own construction or not, but regardless, I appreciate that you recognise the need to have a proper presentation in the first place. Having said all that, you're a step above, well done, and my vote went to you.

Jul 19, 2009
both were very good. but i think it goes to philal. its something different, sumthing new, sumthing without cards for once. the presentation and patter was fantastic. davey g, your effect was very good aswell and was very unique. but it lacked presentation and patter. it was boring for me to watch and on the looks of the specs, it was boring for them aswell. i do not mean to offend you in anyway but i think u should work on ur performance. all in all both were awesome but philal takes the cake.

-M.

Sep 10, 2008
The booklet came with patter, but all I read was the basic idea about "Outside the box" and "Inside the box" then I took it my own way. I saw David London (The creator) perform this live which helped a lot. Thanks for all the comments as well.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Fair enough. Nonetheless it takes more than the average T11 member to realise how important presentation is and to actually use it properly, so props for that. But yes, I think it probably needs a bit more tweaking on your end to fit you properly, it doesn't suit you yet.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I agree with a lot of the things praetoritevong wrote. Here some more to add:

Philal
Always have a script before performing. You can't go performing without scripts. Without a script you have lots of dead time and you get off track and you say unnessecary things. So it's great that you actually have a script. But you need to know which words to emphasis to make the script better understandable and improve your diction every word can be heard and no words are lost. The handling felt unnatural. Very jerky movements. Slow down your handling and your performance should improve.

Sep 10, 2008
Fair enough. Nonetheless it takes more than the average T11 member to realise how important presentation is and to actually use it properly, so props for that. But yes, I think it probably needs a bit more tweaking on your end to fit you properly, it doesn't suit you yet.

I did notice that, my tone of voice is usually more... exuberant in my performcances. I guess I loved David's performance so much, I sort of took on his tone. But I can easily switch over to a more energetic performance to make it even more unique and adjust the script to that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results