What do YOU feel when performing?

One of the biggest lessons many of us learn that we are selfish when performing. Somehow we learn through mentor, forums, friends or whatever that it's ALL about the spectator and what they experience. However my question isn't about that at all, instead what do you feel as you perform for real people, not some webcam that you think will make you the next Mathieu Bich or something.

Do you get a rush of excitement or a tingling feeling that swells up inside your stomach? Do your hands sweat as your knees shake, or maybe you get a surge of confidence coursing through your body?

What ever it is share it.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Hah. I seem to get a tingly feeling, which as I perform turn out as a surge of confidence. But it always starts tingling...

Actually, I wonder what the medical explanation of it is...? (cue for any doctors in the house?)

G

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Hah. I seem to get a tingly feeling, which as I perform turn out as a surge of confidence. But it always starts tingling...

Actually, I wonder what the medical explanation of it is...? (cue for any doctors in the house?)

G

You forgot to turn off your electric touch.

I don't really feel anything, as such at the beginning. I'm usually running over the method in my mind as I approach people. Then, assuming all goes well, I start getting an excitement rush and a big feeling of confidence. By the time I've finished all the sleights and the rest works itself, I have to work really hard to restrain a big smirk. And finally I walk away with a big grin on my face, or muttering darkly depending on whether I get tipped :p

Mar 24, 2009
You forgot to turn off your electric touch.

I don't really feel anything, as such at the beginning. I'm usually running over the method in my mind as I approach people. Then, assuming all goes well, I start getting an excitement rush and a big feeling of confidence. By the time I've finished all the sleights and the rest works itself, I have to work really hard to restrain a big smirk. And finally I walk away with a big grin on my face, or muttering darkly depending on whether I get tipped :p

You pretty much described how I feel when performing...

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I think it's funny how I'm confident during performance, but afterwards, say - 5 minutes later, my legs shake and I get all giggly.

G

May 3, 2008
I get so numb I collapse. No. I'm kidding. I think this thread is kind of irrelevant though. How we feel doesn't matter at all. What really matters is how the spectator feels. We don't do magic to get that weird tingly feeling or whatever we do it to entertain and amaze the spectator.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I get so numb I collapse. No. I'm kidding. I think this thread is kind of irrelevant though. How we feel doesn't matter at all. What really matters is how the spectator feels. We don't do magic to get that weird tingly feeling or whatever we do it to entertain and amaze the spectator.

Irrelevant? A thread can't be irrelevant, it claims to be what it is - a thread to discuss how you as a performer feel after and during performance.

We're people too, you know.

G

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Actually, that's completely incorrect in my opinion.

There seems to be this budding wave of collective moral outrage amongst magicians recently, in which the overarching trend is to advocate a most extreme form of selflessness - "I as the magician do not matter at all. My feelings don't matter. It's all about the spectator."

I think this arises partly from the fact that we know at least that magic is based to a large extent on skill, whether it be presentational ability, communication skills, mental dexterity, or indeed technical skill. People are scared of the notion that in demonstrating this skill, we will be showing off, that demonstrating skills necessarily involves egotistical actions.

Anyway, I digress slightly. The point is this.

The magician does matter.

Let's for example examine the question of whether I should perform The Biddle Trick.

The Biddle Trick is a classic effect, a great effect used by many generations of magicians since it's creation. When given the proper effort, it gets great reactions.

Therefore, I as a magician MUST perform The Biddle Trick because it's great for laymen, right?

Wrong!

I hate The Biddle Trick! There's nothing wrong with it, I just personally hate it. It doesn't interest me at all. And as a mentalist, I prefer not to risk the perception of "card technician". But even simply as a card magician, I would not perform this effect.

But why not? We should do everything in our power for the spectators! We don't matter!

Yes, we should, but YES, we also do matter.

The truth is that there is such an extensive magical lexicon, that there is an abundance of great effects which can all get the same great reaction as The Biddle Trick. Does this mean we have to perform them all? After all, it's our duty!

Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Try and argue that and I'll slap you back to the Middle Ages.

At some point, we have to pick and choose. How do we pick and choose? We choose what we like! We choose what suits us and in that action we involve ourselves - unconsciously so, unless your method of choosing effects to learn involves a roulette wheel. We choose what appeals to us, and in that action, we make ourselves, the performer, important.

Now, apart from pure necessity, why is it important to make the magician, ourselves, important in this process of performing?

It's quite simple. Think of a passion of yours. Now imagine telling me about it.

Now think of the Exogenous Consumption statistic of your country, and explain it in the context of a simple (Two-Sector) Keynesian Model. Now imagine telling me about that.

Unless your passion also happened to be Keynesian Economics (which it could well be, in which case, you'll have to think of something else appropriately boring, with my sincere apologies), you'll quickly realise that you will be more bored talking about the latter than the former. Now, if you're bored, how do you think I'd feel as the listener?

Let's transfer this back to magic before I have too much fun. When you perform something you intrinsically enjoy, it shows. When you perform something you don't enjoy, it shows. When it shows, it affects the audience. The fact is that enjoyment is contagious. If you enjoy what you do, the audience will enjoy it too. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it is a requisite for successfully performing magic, that you enjoy what you do. If you don't enjoy it, there's no way your audience will.

Simply put, that is why you, the magician, are important when performing. Your goal is to create the experience of magic. This is impossible if you do not like your own material. If you do not enjoy it, your audience will not either, and will not experience the magic. If, on the other hand, you love what you do, your audience will pick up on this. Enthusiasm, passion, love, they all show.

Now, given that there is such a huge magical lexicon, it follows that you also have the power to choose from a vast array of effective routines.

So, why not choose what you like?

Yes, it means admitting that you as the magician are important, but that is not a bad thing! On the contrary, following what you like is a good thing because it improves the calibre of your performances. The final result is a flow-on effect, which will improve your audience's experience.

See, the truth is, in order to perform for laymen, you also have to consider yourself. Without acknowledging how we feel, and using how we feel about our magic to good use, and making decisions based on our feelings, we cannot hope to alter others' emotions.

P.S. I hope you can also see how, with some modification, this argument can be molded into one advocating the personalisation of effects by creating your own presentations and variations - in other words, originality.

I knew someone would say this thread is irrelevant, thank you praetoritevong for your argument. The thing is, is that everybody seems to take the context of what people say and turn them into an ultimatum almost. The real reason behind this thread was just to see who would say something similar to as "this thread is pointless"

We as people not simply as magicians seem to eat up the crap that people with authority, fame, or w/e and it's quite tiresome. I won't go into any specifics, but I looked back at several threads and after there was a statement given from a DvD, 1 on 1, etc. that there would be a thread about this and how it's part of their code or something.

Am I saying that you should dismiss a large portion of what the people who have made in the business say? Not at all, actually it's to point out that some of you need to start thinking about what they say instead of either completely dismissing it or eating it up.

Praetoritevong basically made the last point in my arguement on a different basis. I like to go into all sorts of tricks to make the spectator experience something different each time, while he may prefer to mentalism over cards or coins. My point is if I don't feel comfortable performing the trick or feel enthusiastic about performing it then why should I? My body language will give off an unwanted vibe to the spectators.

There is a median you need to find between feeling calm, ecstatic, tingling, w/e it is and the point where the audience loves it for the feel, look, etc.
Don't take everything you hear so strongly, think about it and how you actually put it into effect for your audiences (not including webcams).

Best of Luck

Jul 13, 2009
I knew someone would say this thread is irrelevant, thank you praetoritevong for your argument. The thing is, is that everybody seems to take the context of what people say and turn them into an ultimatum almost. The real reason behind this thread was just to see who would say something similar to as "this thread is pointless"

Congrats you succeeded?

But on another note feeling influences everything in your performance, no amount of book work (Magic related) can teach you how proper subtext can swing an entire magic session into something amazing, or something that belongs at the dump.

When I perform I usually forget my "Human" emotions and take on my characters personality and emotions. Emotions being personal problems etc., I am not saying I do not get a high when I perform but when I am performing I am in a character and I have to stick to it.

I am going to deviate a little from the topic now just because I really do not want to make another thread when this is a little relevant to the topic.

Now I know there is a current movement to be more like normal people performing skills that normal people can't but that in my opinion isn't real magic. In my opinion if the spectators knows that there is a method behind the madness, then it isn't magic; it is just common trickery. You have left the character of magician and entered into a cardsharp, trickster, jester, or the guy with fast hands; all of which is not a magician.

Now all you folks out there don't be busting my balls over an opinion but you may debate it just make sure you bring something to the pot luck.

"Congrats, you succeeded?" Um... I don't see where the sarcasm is relating to anything.

I have no character when I perform, I am similar to a DGarcia when I perform. I keep it light, crack jokes and make sure that it's not just the magic keeping them entertained. I have some philosophies when entertaining and just focusing on a trick is a bad way to go about it, for simple reason that they will be entranced by it that their mind is registering the effect and method.

So I am 100 percent with you on this one. Different angles on the topic but same ending result.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
cardsharp, trickster, or the guy with fast hands; all of which is not a magician.

Besides jester as I havent seen that type of performance,all of which have not been interesting at all as most people who try to be the cardsharp dont know a thing about the rule of cool and become clones with no discernable character.

Id also like to point out,through all this talk for over a year of people saying flourishes CAN be incorporated into magic,I have not seen one person attempt to combine the two in any performances.(Liam walsh not counting)

Oct 11, 2007
I used to shake and tingle but now there's a just a euphoria of vividry and excitement when I perform...almost like a magic high that I can't seem to shake for an hour or two!

Jul 13, 2009
Besides jester as I havent seen that type of performance.

No worries I meant the people who add jokes to cover for a bad presentation of an effect.

"Congrats, you succeeded?" Um... I don't see where the sarcasm is relating to anything.
I was just wondering if you wanted a congratulations for "helping" the inexperienced.

I have no character when I perform, I am similar to a DGarcia when I perform. I keep it light, crack jokes and make sure that it's not just the magic keeping them entertained. I have some philosophies when entertaining and just focusing on a trick is a bad way to go about it, for simple reason that they will be entranced by it that their mind is registering the effect and method.

This not only directed to you but to many out there who say they have no character. Guess what you do, a character can be as subtle as a slight change in how you conduct yourself while performing to a full on presentation of a mage from Asarath.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I am going to deviate a little from the topic now just because I really do not want to make another thread when this is a little relevant to the topic.

Now I know there is a current movement to be more like normal people performing skills that normal people can't but that in my opinion isn't real magic. In my opinion if the spectators knows that there is a method behind the madness, then it isn't magic; it is just common trickery. You have left the character of magician and entered into a cardsharp, trickster, jester, or the guy with fast hands; all of which is not a magician.

From a mentalist's point of view, I agree.

As I alluded to earlier, there's a perception that effects which portray you as different or special compared to others must necessarily carry ego. This is not so. The fact is that people enjoy very much watching people with extraordinary skills. The balance is that just as common trickery becomes unmagical, demonstrations of skill can push you into those categories too; it's a fine line. I suppose then the key to demonstrating extraordinary skill is to display the skill but emphasise the extraordinary.

Maybe it is a slight change in character but that's how I am all the time. I try my hardest to be myself since I get along with many people and can entertain them with a conversation with or without magic.

If I would perform mentalism then I would go into character for sure. Just some guy who does this mind reading trick just doesn't seem to fulfill the effect, putting some mysterious aura around what you do can enhance many things.

Actually, that's completely incorrect in my opinion.

P.S. I hope you can also see how, with some modification, this argument can be molded into one advocating the personalisation of effects by creating your own presentations and variations - in other words, originality.

I need to get your msn orsomething. This post in invaluable and its exactly what im driving for to prove in these forums.

We most commonly dont think about what we feel and what we do when we are performing. The thing is we are the rolemodels.
Lets say im performing 5 speed, if i at the end am a very dull and an emotionless guy, i most likely wont get much reactions. Now, if i were to be very casual, very open, talk about stuff i am actually interested in and be a bit amazed or play it off as a it were really magical and be a bit clever i will most likely get a hundred times bigger reactions.

Its not about the spectator, its about you and the spectator. The bond that lasts for 5 minutes but leaves a mark forever.

Mikk

Jul 25, 2009
I get a little jittery like I had too many red bulls but if its going good I relax and can concentrate more on my performance.
On a side note im starting high school and im terrified to death about performing...I cant wait!!:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results