Just Starting...

Apr 25, 2008
Hello, I've been doing magic for a couple years now, but I've never really got into flourishing. So I was wondering if you guys know sime DVDs to get me started. I've tried flourishing before, but I've never really got serious about it. Thanks for any help suggested!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There have been a couple of threads about this so do a search for more detailed information.

But in general, the most recommended have been the two Xtreme Beginnerz DVDs. There are more difficult DVDs out there from which it is not impossible altogether to learn from - but by starting with the easiest you'll save yourself months of extra practice, literally.

Another good and more comprehensive sources would be Jerry Cestkowski's book (!) The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. Don't been put off by the fact that it's a book, though. The thing literally covers everything imaginable.

Apr 25, 2008
There have been a couple of threads about this so do a search for more detailed information.

But in general, the most recommended have been the two Xtreme Beginnerz DVDs. There are more difficult DVDs out there from which it is not impossible altogether to learn from - but by starting with the easiest you'll save yourself months of extra practice, literally.

Another good and more comprehensive sources would be Jerry Cestkowski's book (!) The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. Don't been put off by the fact that it's a book, though. The thing literally covers everything imaginable.

Thanks a lot! What do you think about buying the Trilogy and dangerous? Do you think it'd be too hard for someone just starting out? Thanks again.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Trilogy and Dangerous in my opinion would fit into the "more difficult, not impossible but would take a lot longer to learn from" category I mentioned earlier.

In other words, I know of people who started out with them, and did learn them, but they did so with great difficulty, on average months more practice in terms of learning curve with the material, and there are far less who succeeded well compared with those who started off with easier material. So, I don't know if it's too hard - but it would probably be very hard to say the least.

Apr 25, 2008
Trilogy and Dangerous in my opinion would fit into the "more difficult, not impossible but would take a lot longer to learn from" category I mentioned earlier.

In other words, I know of people who started out with them, and did learn them, but they did so with great difficulty, on average months more practice in terms of learning curve with the material, and there are far less who succeeded well compared with those who started off with easier material. So, I don't know if it's too hard - but it would probably be very hard to say the least.

Thanks a Bunch! You've been a great help

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Mitchell, when I first started cardistry, Xtreme Begineer helped me in the long run, but not for my practising. If you want to get Dangerous and the Trilogy, you must learn the revolution cut, sybil, and the charlier cut. These three basics helps to expand of what is now today's society. Or, you could get the Trilogy because they have a Flourishes 101 in disc three.

I started out with the Trilogy and have turned out very well in the long run. The flourishes 101 section is great. Truthfully, the only cuts you need to know for most flourishes are the charlier, the revolution, and sybil. The other stuff you can learn as you learn flourishes.

I recommend the Trilogy over Dangerous as a beginning set because of Flourishes 101, because I think the material is slightly easier in its basic components, and because the teaching is a little bit more lowest common denominator.

Really, why should people waste money on basic stuff when you can learn that on YouTube or supplementals and then move right into things that are really impressive?

It'll be slow at first, but over time you'll learn new flourishes more quickly. Here's how I rate in the Trilogy flourishes' order of difficulty (and yes, I am just now drawing this up just for you): Sybil (Jackson Five), Genesis (Jackson Five), Akira, Mecka, Molecule Four, Skater cut (Jackson Five), Madonna (Jackson Five) Tectonic Verb, Eko, Sybilism (Jackson Five), Leno Cut (Jackson Five), Pandora.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results