Is it good for you or for them?

It is something that so many of us in the Art are blinded by.
It is our own tricks, we make and use tricks that we like, that we enjoy, but will the spectator, or any spectator even enjoy it?
If they're tricked, great, if they're fooled, awsome, if they're ashtonished, nice.
But it's when you're audiance actually LIKES the trick, because it made them realize something anew.
Really, unless it's a palm and a snap change, color changes have failed for me time and time again.
It is all quick hands if it dissapears into the deck, and they know it, it isn't special to them.
Sandwiches are meaningless to them, and when you combine the two you get a trick that will never mean anything to anyone but you and you fellow Jokers.

So which is more important the tricks you make for yourself or that for the laymen?

Why is it so hard to make a trick that is fun to do and is amazing for the audiance? It isn't.
We just rely on these because they are so great for us and not for them.
Feel free to concridict me, and show me if you have had any other sucsess with anything.
Because I find glimpsing a card, forcing it, and saying it out loud as a retardidly simple trick, but it gives me my best reactions.

Feb 28, 2008
I think it's more the performer than the trick itself.

For example, take the invisible deck. If you did that trick without the huge long build up of having a specator shuffle it and throw it aroudn and have someone pick a card first, it wouldn't mean as much to the audience. You can however simply say "Pick a card" and have that one be face down in the deck.

I think it's the job of the performer to make the audience care... Sandwiches and colour changes don't work all the time because the performer made them meaningless and unimportant to the spectator.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Why do you get the notion that effects you create or enjoy can't be the same as those your spectator's enjoy? Curious.

Rmana is right though - it's the magician more than the effect.

I don't mean this stuff as single effects!
I mean doing a trick with a cardini change isn't going to amaze anyone.
A card dissapearing to them means you needed to use it.
Simple, not something awsome, just simple quick fingered steal.
Please expect what's in yourself into others and guess that noone would use a change as a standalone trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results