Getting people to watch your tricks...?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Okay so if you're sitting among a total group of strangers , and you want to perform for them , what do you tell them ... ? "Do you wanna see something" ?.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
while flourishing is a good way to garner attention, it can be problematic. If you dont flourish thats obviously not an option, also in some situations it can seem flashy and showing off looking for attention. Sometimes all it take is a small display of skill like some quick clean shuffles or a card spring, not a Jackson 5. Also, some simple skills check is a subtle way to see if people are watching. Ive found if im in close proximity executing a color change tends to really get people asking.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If all you do is card tricks,then flourishing is the easiest(not the best) way to get people interested.
But in everything else,I always start to steer the conversation slowly into whatever point or reason I have the effect to portray.And it makes it so much more natural and fluid than having to ask them and disrupt the atmosphere suddenly.
Of course,if everyone is already having a good time and there are no awkward moments,theres no reason to perform magic unless its something I really really want them to see.

Jan 4, 2008
If all you do is card tricks,then flourishing is the easiest(not the best) way to get people interested.
But in everything else,I always start to steer the conversation slowly into whatever point or reason I have the effect to portray.And it makes it so much more natural and fluid than having to ask them and disrupt the atmosphere suddenly.
Of course,if everyone is already having a good time and there are no awkward moments,theres no reason to perform magic unless its something I really really want them to see.

I Agree with this statement 100%. This is the best and most natural way to begin a performance among strangers. Well said.

Gerald

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I'm with jrobarts05 on this one.
Another thing about flourishing right off the bat is that you let them know you are really good with cards. Anything you do after that won't be as astonishing because they already know you're skilled. They'll be expecting it.
Daniel Madison said in a training video or interview (i don't remember where exactly) that he doesn't flourish until after he has done his "routine" if at all. He wants to approach them as an equal. It takes the focus off of him and puts it on the magic.

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2008
earth
if im with strangers, i can normally break a conversation out of them

im really open and just say "hi" and they look at me funny and say hi

then i just start nonchalantly talking about something and then after talking for maybe 5 min or so, i'll say like, "hey do you mind if I show you something quick" and if they say yes, i blow them away with an impromptu card miracle

Aug 4, 2009
I was out at a bar last night making lighters vanish with my Gecko, and had an idea for this..

Ask someone for a light and vanish the lighter, saying something like, 'You know how you lend out your lighter and never get it back?' <vanish it> 'Well that's how it happens.' Then a simple cigarette vanish (obviously I'm a smoker.. quitting on the 14th). Then a card trick or two.. then finish with the burnt card in this manner: they pick a card, remember it, replace it. I cut the deck, and 'look for a lighter in my pockets' while stealing flash paper from my pocket.. then I ask them if they have a lighter (just for a laugh.. it'd be really funny if they forget I still have it!) During the previous card tricks I steal the lighter back from the Gecko, and produce it now. They light the lighter, I ignite the flash paper while passing the deck through the flame, them produce the burnt card..

Is it a good plan? I've never just went out and performed on a street before.. acquaintances at bars, but never strangers.

Any suggestions? I want to have a pretty good routine before I hit the streets.. that might help cut down on the shakes.

Magic should be approached from this standpoint. If you are being paid to perform, than you need no introduction. You are there for the entertainment of the guests and your presence is already generated.

However, if you're looking for an impromptu situation, such as the popular street/guerilla style of magic, than you need to find and in. People are you're best advertising. If people have seen you before, than they might bring it up. You have to find that in though. Just coming out with, "Wanna see something cool?" Come on. We're performers. We have to weave the web of distraction. Set and size them up. John Bannon follows the rule of three. They have to ask him three times to see something. He wants them to want it. And sometimes saying no is your best bet, This builds the suspense. Eventually they will be begging you to perform (sometimes bringing a deck of cards!). Intruding can make the magic awkward. And a little corny. If I want to perform, it's because I see a link to the group and feel that my performance would heighten the evening's events, and make the group have fun. Not just to showoff. Remember the old Cardini addage,

"A man in a magical world...."

Regards,
Jonathan

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Talk to them. Introduce yourself - but NOT as a magician.

"Hi, I'm x".

And talk to them.

And have a normal conversation with them that doesn't involve magic. Sooner or later someone will mention a hobby, or ask you what you do, and bingo.

If you can do that, you're set.

I'm surprised more people didn't say "talk to the guys". What's this rubbish about standing there looking like an idiot flourishing? Talk to the bloody spectator, it's not that difficult... And your magic will be better for it.

Jul 13, 2009
When I just want to do a little bit of magic to pass time I usually scope out a group then walk past them and then as if by randomness turn and basically ask them "may I have an opinion on something?" then I do something quick visual and draw them in... I then go from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results