Watermark by Mathieu Bich

Jan 28, 2009
From the demo and this review I surmise we're talking about a card force and a chemcial on a piece of paper to serve as a contrived reveleation?

This is worth 10 bucks? No wonder they had to get a mod to write a review for this one. It's both obvious and shouldn't fool anyone with a modicum of common sense. It was obvious in the demo the napkins got a 'substance' on it, you can see the way the water doesn't wet it.

I mean this is what I call scraping the bottom of the barrel.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
From the demo and this review I surmise we're talking about a card force and a chemcial on a piece of paper to serve as a contrived reveleation?

This is worth 10 bucks? No wonder they had to get a mod to write a review for this one. It's both obvious and shouldn't fool anyone with a modicum of common sense. It was obvious in the demo the napkins got a 'substance' on it, you can see the way the water doesn't wet it.

I mean this is what I call scraping the bottom of the barrel.

OCW,

Most written responses I write begin addressed to someone's real name, but because you choose to hide behind a fictional identity on a magic forum, I'll just go with the initials. Awesome. Your post is as unprofessional as it is, I believe, completely ignorant to what is important in this artform. It's apparent through your posts that you are not a working performer, as any working performer "with a modicum of common sense" would know that magic has NOTHING to do with the method - it has to do with the effect.

This is an effect created by one of the most brilliant minds working in this industry today. I respect Bich, but that fact would not taint my honest review of his material any more than it would a moderator of this forum. An opinion is an opinion, and I can personally assure you that no artist, no staff member, and no moderator of this site ever has to sugar coat anything. If you only knew how open our line of communication is with these artists, you would know that we thrive off of honest, professional, constructive criticism - it is how we improve, progress, and evolve.

Every single artist I have shown this effect to - Bich as well - has been blown away by the power and possibilities it opens up. From Dan Buck to Doug McKenzie to Dan White to Chris Kenner - it has been universally praised as a practical, powerful effect with LIMITLESS potential. It goes far beyond the bounds of a card trick.

To back up a little bit - just because those artists liked this effect does not mean you have to. I wanted to make that point clear as to each his own, and you are of course entitled to your opinion. However, that opinion must be expressed in a professional, respectful manner - at least in this forum. Yours was not.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
OCW,

Most written responses I write begin addressed to someone's real name, but because you choose to hide behind a fictional identity on a magic forum, I'll just go with the initials. Awesome. Your post is as unprofessional as it is, I believe, completely ignorant to what is important in this artform. It's apparent through your posts that you are not a working performer, as any working performer "with a modicum of common sense" would know that magic has NOTHING to do with the method - it has to do with the effect.

This is an effect created by one of the most brilliant minds working in this industry today. I respect Bich, but that fact would not taint my honest review of his material any more than it would a moderator of this forum. An opinion is an opinion, and I can personally assure you that no artist, no staff member, and no moderator of this site ever has to sugar coat anything. If you only knew how open our line of communication is with these artists, you would know that we thrive off of honest, professional, constructive criticism - it is how we improve, progress, and evolve.

Every single artist I have shown this effect to - Bich as well - has been blown away by the power and possibilities it opens up. From Dan Buck to Doug McKenzie to Dan White to Chris Kenner - it has been universally praised as a practical, powerful effect with LIMITLESS potential. It goes far beyond the bounds of a card trick.

To back up a little bit - just because those artists liked this effect does not mean you have to. I wanted to make that point clear as to each his own, and you are of course entitled to your opinion. However, that opinion must be expressed in a professional, respectful manner - at least in this forum. Yours was not.

To add on to this, it's an absolutely amazing effect.
I just preformed it for two strangers at a Restaurant, using Coke as my water, and the napkin I had just used as the cloth. It's an amazing effect that gets great reactions.

It's worth it, I wouldn't have minded it be a little cheaper, but it's a awesome effect. Just because it is "obvious to you" as you have said, doesn't mean it is to everyone.

It's taught well, and is very well thought out.
I am so glad to see that Theory 11 puts out products that they have their faith, they wouldn't release it otherwise.

Again try to be profession when speaking, otherwise it makes you sound like your a pre-teen!

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
I'm thinking of combining watermark with some of the ideas from stigmata. Could be a great mentalism effect.

Also, maybe using the reveal from the condensation of your cup in a restaurant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoYhoYLlGls

Here is me performing it and the reactions i got.

I know i messed up as i did not turn it over right away but i learned from my mistakes and thats all that matters :)

~Ryan fox~

The only thing I would correct you on, other than the mistake you pointed out is that you should do the effect a little bit slower, anticipation is everything for the effect.

A little less water being sprinkled on would be the best to slow it down, otherwise you won't have time to make sure the reveal is lined up with your spectator!

May 18, 2008
I am 15... If that matters.

I am going to pick this up this weekend, most likely. So... Yeah. I have a few KILLER ideas to go along with this, and can't wait to pick it up and post some videos!

i can also attest to the reactions I get from laymen with this effect!

I was less then impressed when viewing the method, but I've only seen great reactions from spectators... and at the end, isn't that what's important?

I've also been racking my brain trying to think of a different patter for this effect. Any interesting presentation ideas out there? :confused:

when it comes to using different peices of paper, i have had success with the trick with brown cheap paper towel, but there are some tale signs of gimmick work done. so maybe im trying too hard or something but i'll work on it a little more

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
don't know why i thought of this, but i'm a messed up child.

Blood.

No kidding, i'm going to try it with blood as soon as I get the 'gimmick' after i'm done with my exams. That would be killer. That would make for some badass shock magic.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
yes, but how powerful would it be if you actually "accidentally" cut yourself, grabbed a tissue to stop the bleeding, then took the tissue off and it hand the prediction card? that would be sick.

Jan 10, 2008
The possibilities are limitless. As long as you as a magician can think up new things to use it for, the effect is amazing.

Plus once you set up the gimmick, it doesn't go bad according to the 1:eek:n:1!

Great effect, not just for people who use cards. I think it fits mentalism much better than cards do.

I believe you have just sold this to me! :D Well played sir.

Yeah I just got the 1 on 1 a few minutes ago, watched the film. I have to say I'm impressed with this effect. I think with the proper modifications to my style, this could become an instant killer routine.

5 out of 5

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results