This is Magic - Aim High

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
What's up guys,

I just had a really weird experience and I just wanted to share it with you guys. Hopefully you'll take something from it; and if not, at least you'll have heard an interesting story. But I will tell you now that the moral of the story is in the title. In effect: weird **** happens sometimes. And I have no idea why, or how, but it was really weird. Please note that names of people and places have been changed, just cause I felt like it. And because guys who know me in real life check this forum too :p

Some of you may know that I work as a mentalist. For the past hour or so I've been on the phone with a friend of mine; I've only known her for a few months, but she's quickly becoming one of my best friends. Despite this, I have not as of yet been to her house. Let's call her Amelie. And the only important thing you guys need to know is that I know nothing about her house, except that she lives in a suburb - let's call it Maven. So she lives in Maven, and that's all I know.

Whilst on the phone with her just now, we were talking about various things, and I ended up performing a mentalism effect over the phone, whereby I divined several things. Firstly, I divined that her house overlooked the water. I divined that her house was made mostly of glass - that it had a high glass facade on the side overlooking the water. I then divined that she had a small wharf at the back of her house that extended out into the water. I divined that her house was on a cliff face, and that there were trees around her place. I divined that she lived next to a bridge. I also divined that, prior to her living in that house specific house, that is, prior to her current house's existence, there was an older house on that same piece of land (later demolished to build the current residence), which I described with reasonable accuracy, and finally that there were photos of said house still in existence and in her personal possession.

All this was done with absolutely zero prior knowledge of her place. No cold reading techniques. No reading techniques at all. Nothing arranged. No magical pixie dust. No miniature Banacheks in my pocket.

How then did I do this most remarkable of miracles? I will reveal all in a moment, my dear.

Now, prior to this, Amelie knew that I was a mentalist because it had come up in conversation with myself. However, in our 3 months of so of knowing each other, I've never actually had the chance to perform for her; our time was better spent simply hanging out with each other and our friends through whom we met. So before tonight, I'd never performed anything.

And, having the chance to perform this effect tonight, I don't think I will perform for her in a very, very, very long time.

Why?

I don't think that anything I could ever do would begin to top this.

There was simply no way I could've known all those details.

That's magic.

Please, take a moment to digest everything that I've just said. It's all true, every word. This is not an exercise in self-indulgence; rather, I hope you realise, or at the very least can imagine, if not empathise with, this amazing moment of magic. How Amelie, sitting in her room in Maven, must have felt, faced with something this impossible.

I will say now that you will, most likely, not be able to replicate this effect, though I will describe the method in full.

But I hope that all of you who read this understand that this is what magic can achieve. The silence with which she treated me at the conclusion of the performance drowns out other reactions. Forget about people screaming "What the ****?!" Forget about people running around. Forget about people dropping things or jumping into the pool or the entire room going off.

That's child's play.

It's been said amongst several professionals that the most visceral reactions are easy to obtain. It's true. This is on a completely different level. So before I progress any further, please stop for a moment again to reflect on magic. Reflect on this situation, reflect on your magic. What magic can be. How powerful magic can be. How special it is. This is the experience of magic. I cannot express it any better than that.

Back so soon? Keep reflecting.

No, not yet.

Sigh. Fine. I guess I'll have to trust you guys. Last chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Full method to the effect I just described. I warn you now, you will laugh, you will frown, in all likelihood, you may not believe me, and I'm prepared to accept that. For what it's worth, I 100% swear on anything you want me to that this is the exact method, and this is exactly what happened and this is how I performed this effect. If W:H thought you'd throw your remote at the screen for the method for Control... Just make sure you don't throw your entire chair.

Ok, enough suspense. The method is this, as clearly as I can state it:

I dreamed of all these details two weeks ago.

Still there?

Ok, I'm assuming you haven't broken your screen. Let me describe a series of events.

About two weeks ago, Amelie featured in my dreams. (Incidentally, two weeks ago was apparently when Amelie last looked through her photos of the previous house, described above, which occupied the land before her current house was constructed) In that dream, I dreamed that we were standing on a pier, the two of us. This pier stretched out into the middle of a body of water. We were standing on the end. I was talking to Amelie, who held up an A4 sized photo up in the air. The photo was of an old house - almost like a castle, but not particularly impressive - just an otherwise generic house. She dropped the photo down, and where the house stood in the photo, there was, in the background, previously covered, a cliff face a short distance off. A little way up the cliff face, there were a number of trees and above that, a house, overlooking the water. I saw clearly the glass facade, and even a light on the high ceiling of that floor.

I'm sure there will be one or two people who are a bit skeptical right now. That's fine, I can deal with that. Again, I offer you all assurances that it is in fact true, but decide what you will.

So we were talking over the phone. And I asked her, out of the blue, remembering said dream, "Does your place overlook the water by any chance? Like, can you see the water?" (I knew that a lot of houses in Maven can see the water, by the way) She confirmed that she did, and asked why, to which I replied that I didn't know. I made fun of her for having a rich person's house (her family are quite well off, and again, Maven is a very well off suburb). "It's probably like all glass, on a cliff face overlooking the water" I said, half jokingly. That's when she started reacting. I laughed it off - a lot of houses in Maven have glass facades and have a view of the water.

I don't know what made me continue, to be honest. I have no idea. I still hadn't grasped the idea of performing an effect yet. I asked if there were trees around her place, another general question which would typically be answered with a yes in that suburb. She described a piece of land where the trees where below her house, and then began to describe her suburb - or rather, where in the suburb she lived. She began to describe the features of the suburb, infrastructure, when I interrupted her, saying, "I don't suppose there's like a bridge or something of some sort that spreads out over the water?"

Turns out she lives next to a bridge. Actually, if you'll recall, I dreamed of a pier. But a pier to me somehow seemed more unlikely, so I just went with bridge on instinct. I didn't want to sound too silly at this point, since I'd only told her a few things that would be true of the majority of houses in her suburb. I could've been lucky.

I said, "Actually, it's kinda funny, truthfully, I more imagined like a pier of some sort, like, low over the water."

What do you know. She has a freaking pier stretching out beneath her house. This is ridiculous. Needless to say, she's freaking out. I don't know who's freaking out more, her or me, though - but I don't say anything.

Again, I don't need to describe her reaction.

Of course, there was only one part of the dream that I hadn't mentioned at this point. I had gotten the cliff face, the glass facade, the trees, the bridge, the pier, and the water all correct. My eyes were popping out of their sockets. Notice how I got two revelations with the pier in the dream - a bridge and a pier. Funny.

There was only one thing left, so since she wanted to tell me more about her house, I just took a blind stab in the dark. I had no idea, and to me, this was the silliest aspect of the dream, most unlikely to be true, and I was prepared to laugh it off. I still don't know why I said it.

"I'm imagining that there was this old house in place of yours though - I know yours is modern, but it's almost like a before and after shot - you have like a before shot of your house, or what used to be on the land."

Silence.

"Amelie?"

"Yeah..."

"It's almost like a castle isn't it? Well, it has spires like a castle but otherwise it's just a fairly generic brown sort of house, I'm imagining."

I don't know why I said that. It's what I dreamed, but... The likelihood of that actually being true, from a dream no less, is nothing. Nil. But it was true.

After a long silence, she said, "That's really scary. I don't understand. The really scary this is... How did you know that I had a photo of that place?"

"It's true, isn't it? There was such a place before your house was built?"

"Yeah, it's all true, exactly what you said.."

She told me the history of her house. It had been built there from scratch around two decades ago. Before that, it had been an old brown brick house with two towers in that exact same spot. She has a photo of it and was looking at the photo two weeks ago.

For a long time, there was silence.

I don't know how this happened. I don't expect to ever know. I don't know whether it was chance or luck or fate or whatever you want to call it, divine intervention.

I don't expect to ever be able to perform anything near as powerful as this for the rest of my life. I certainly don't ever expect to perform this effect again. Won't stop me from trying. But it won't happen.

In all likelihood, this will never, ever happen again in my lifetime.

But for the fact that it happened an hour ago, I am grateful.

Somehow, everything clicked. Her. Her house. My dream. Everything clicked.

I hope you guys can appreciate this. Appreciate the experience of magic, how powerful it is. And even though I don't expect that anyone, least of all me, will ever be able to replicate this exactly, never forget how powerful magic can be.

This is real magic.

But even though we cannot do this - aim high anyway. We have a beautiful tool. The experiences we create are beautiful. Never settle for the reactions you're getting. You can always do better. People screaming is not the be all and end all. It is only the beginning. Be inspired to go further than that - be different from the majority who don't realise this.

This is Magic.

Peace.

~Praetoritevong

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Awesome and interesting read man. Not sure I really have anything more to say other than those moments are things that we should all make the most of... Like Prae did, ridiculous as it might seem, if you have this weird inkling (his inkling being his weirdo dream) take a shot in the dark - it could take you leaps and bounds, and if it doesn't he wasn't committed into making something out of it.

I think what I liked most about this story was the fact that doing this thing wasn't so much an effect, but more of an extension of your abilities that you just weaved into conversation with genuine interest as to whether your vibes were right; there was no "Let's try this!" it was just you - awesomesauce.

- Sean

BMC

Oct 25, 2008
Bucharest, Romania
I think it's the first time since I'm on these forums, that I've read such a long post. Definitely worth taking my time to read :). What can I say... I think it's an unique experience, and in my sincere opinion (I don't know your and her age) but I think you're found your wife if you don't already have one. Of course, if you like her :p

I agree with you saying to forget about the crazy reactions people get from magic tricks, when they freak out and start screaming. This is indeed one of the best reaction you could get. When you see the spectator speechless...

Amazing experience, thanks for sharing. If it'll ever happen to you again, please post again.

Andrei

May 25, 2009
I'm guessing Derren Brown dreamt the numbers too :p

On a more serious note, I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of dreams. It's related to Freud's and Jung's study of human psyche. Jung mentions the collective unconscious and how it communicates through dreams. Pretty awesome stuff if you're into psychology.

I hope she's hot :D

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Well if guys want to replicate this you could just use google earth once you got the address and if you don't have the address there's a way to use her phone number to find her address. I thought this up while reading this and thought this was going to be your method. There's other ways to like pictures on face book or if their house is for sale there's probaly a listing. So there you go guys there's your method for those people That arnt able to dream up predictions.

. . . even if I had dreamed up the location of someone's house, I wouldn't tell them.

You realize there's about a forty percent chance she thinks you're a stalker now, right?

Maybe higher?

Mar 2, 2008
Similar things happend to me but not as crazy

I had a dream that the song "saying sorry" by hathron heights (if thats the spelling) was playing.

The next morning i wake up go to school and before the morning annoucments the song was playing.

Or i was watching A ambitious card dvd (darllys i think) and when he said can you please sign the card to a lady the first thing that came to mind is her name is marry. She signed the name Marry right on the card.

We only use a small part of our brains, who knows what we could do with the other part?

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
A very interesting post man. This is what magic should be. I mean magic between you and her(hope she hot:D). This was meant to happen between you and her. You having the dream and accuratly describe her house. To me you found you wife right there. You probably don't like her, but time will tell. This is a special thing between you and her. You should never forgot it. I would write a longer post, but I can't type what I am thinking. Also she might think your stalking her:rolleyes: Will good luck whit true magic, if you know what l mean.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Sean, BMC, Will Draven, Shakutau, Luka, ajp500, thanks for all your positive responses! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it and are thinking about it. Will - I heard that Max Maven created a few for his personal use.

jtmorris: Haha, no stalking involved.

Rockefeller: Good idea! I've been meaning to, but I think your post just gave me the inspiration to actually go out and read about it. Thanks for that dude!

chris17: Good idea, that would definitely work.

Llero: We know each other well enough to trust each other, don't worry :)

A very interesting post man. This is what magic should be. I mean magic between you and her(hope she hot). This was meant to happen between you and her. You having the dream and accuratly describe her house. To me you found you wife right there. You probably don't like her, but time will tell. This is a special thing between you and her. You should never forgot it. I would write a longer post, but I can't type what I am thinking. Also she might think your stalking her. Will good luck whit true magic, if you know what l mean.

Well, actually... Now that you mention it... :p It definitely was a special thing though, I'm glad you could see that :)

Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate it. Peace out!

BMC

Oct 25, 2008
Bucharest, Romania
Praetoritevong, do you think that you will ever tell her how you did it if she asks you to? Let's say you get married with her. Will you tell her how you did it?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results