"Specialty Decks" and Laymen Perception

Sep 1, 2007
First of all, I just have to say that my new Bee Stingers are legits. They're probably one of my all time favorite "specialty decks." I think everyone knows what I mean when I say that. Cards that are produced exclusively from a big company in the magic industry. Basically, anything but the Bicycles you can buy at Walmart. And maybe that's what I like the most about the Stingers: they are different from everything else you see out there, but not so different that they draw too much suspicion. I try and stray away from using my Guardians or Progandas, etc, when performing for people. I guess I don't want them to perceive the cards as being "special" in a gimmicked or trick deck kind of sense. What kind of experiences have some of you had concerning using a "specialty deck" for the average Joe?

Jan 10, 2008
I'm a standard bike and Tally-Ho man myself, I do however from time to time perform with Guardians, Propaganda, Split Spades, or Ghost decks whenever I really want to impress.
I actually get a kick out of when a spectator accuses me of using trick cards. That makes me feel like, hey in their mind I just did something impossible with these cards and they're mind is now looking for an explanation. It doesn't happen often but when it does I just have fun with it. Usually I cop out the aces and have them shuffle the pack. When I get the deck back I just casually load the aces on top and offer to show them how my "trick" deck works. I point to the top of deck and point to the center of the cards saying that this is actually a button, have them push it and just simply show the aces came to the top. Simple but it plays big.
Usually when you let people shuffle the cards till there is no tomorrow, it diffuses the notion of the cards being gaffed.
I've had the experience one time of a spectator actually getting somewhat hostile because he insisted that it was a trick deck and another spectator that was really enjoying my performance kept insisting that the cards were normal. In that situation I actually offered my deck for the hostile spectator to keep saying, it's ok they're tax dedutible.

Feb 28, 2008
I've been using the Eco deck quite a bit lately and whenever I do a trick with them, people think they're some sort of special deck that's haunted or something...

With cards with pretty regular faces, I very rarily get and weird reactions. I often get "Those look cool" for cards like guardians and even the tiger deck. But where the faces are really different like the Ghost Deck and even the Eco deck (red pips are green) people get confused and are hesitant about the deck.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I never get asked if my deck is a gimmicked deck or not (not using those words obviously, but words to that effect). I use S&M as my performance deck.

Given that in Australia, there is no "standard" deck, and that every deck is "different", and given my experience of still never being asked about trick decks - I've always believed that it was simply the way in which the deck was being handled. It's the performer who creates suspicion, in my opinion, and not the deck - simply because I've never seen anything to the contrary, whereas, by all arguments for the contrary, I should be getting asked that much more often.

Sep 1, 2007
I never get asked if my deck is a gimmicked deck or not (not using those words obviously, but words to that effect). I use S&M as my performance deck.

Given that in Australia, there is no "standard" deck, and that every deck is "different", and given my experience of still never being asked about trick decks - I've always believed that it was simply the way in which the deck was being handled. It's the performer who creates suspicion, in my opinion, and not the deck - simply because I've never seen anything to the contrary, whereas, by all arguments for the contrary, I should be getting asked that much more often.

Very good point. I was just curious about how, if at all, it affected other magicians. Thank you all for your input, it made for a very interesting read. :)

Sep 30, 2007
I think Black Ghost or Shadow Master is good for performance, I also have the Smoke deck but I rarely use it. I usually use the Tally-Ho, better than using the black deck, as people always say " Are you using the gimmicked deck?" or something like that.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
every time i perform I always get asked if there trick cards, or real cards*
and i only perform with bikes.

i even had some girl ask me if my cards were magnetic, i actually started telling people to make sure there not magnetic, and tell them someone asked me if they were in another performance.

I have only just got into card magic (about 3 weeks) I have been practising loads and preforming for friends, family and colleagues once I have the trick down. I use black Split Spades mostly, but I also use Shadow Masters, and just normal Black Bikes.

I have had mixed reactions from people saying how much they liked them, to one woman at work who was convinced that even my normal Black Bikes were gaffed. She still wasn't buying when I told her to bring in a pack from home. Oh and another guy who took one look at my cards and said, "It isn't that impressive, they are probably just marked," when I offered him the deck to inspect he he just said that he wouldn't know wouldn't know what to look for, it could be anything.

Most of the time though people just comment on how unusual they are.

I think it is all in the trick compared to the reaction. When i do the Ambitious card 90% of the time someone asks to check the deck in case there are 17 5 of Diamonds in the deck.

I love collecting cards, and even when i use speciality cards no one says anything. My deck of choice is the Masters.

I hate black cards however, cause even though I have some I think they just look too silly. They're the type of card that certain magicians can get away with because the cards match their persona, a bit like Chris Angel or David Blaine. Not everyone that uses black cards is like this, of course not, but i just think that as soon as I saw a magician bringing out a black deck of cards, I'd expect him to talk very monotone and be very static.

There is a guy I know who, each time I see him has a different custom deck. I just have one request for everyone, practise with them and collect them, hell, even use them, but don't do it to the extent of geekyness. collecting is great, but there is a limit!

Simon_Magic

I just have one request for everyone, practise with them and collect them, hell, even use them, but don't do it to the extent of geekyness. collecting is great, but there is a limit!

Simon_Magic

So true, I have just started out in Card Magic and but I have enjoyed custom decks before I got into magic. However I am having to get out of the mind set of, your bought these cool card decks now for goodness sake USE THEM! What is the point in having a set of Bicycle 1800's or Shadow Masters if no one ever sees them. So I am practising as much as I can get used to each deck and performing with each pack as much as I can.

Sep 1, 2007
Does anyone feel that custom decks take away from the full magical effect your spectators should be feeling? Do you think that when someone immediately thinks the cards are unusual it takes away some of the power of your magic? Or does it help it? What do you all think?

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
I like special decks.
I've used the 1800's a little, telling something along the lines of..

"You've heard of Copperfield, right? Well, in the early 90's, he got a special deck from an old man named Dai Vernon, who in turn had got them somewhere in the late thirties after lots of searching. The man ha got them from is unknown, but he could prove he had inherited them from a Man only known as S.W. Erdnase, the founder of modern cardmagic, who in 1905 published a book on the art of cheating. Well, that book was written and illustrated with that excact deck of cards that Copperfield had gotten hold of! A couple of years ago in Germany, I made a deal with Copperfield that I will not go in further detail on, and as a result of that deal - I got the deck in my pocket."
I then proceed to take out a metalbox, lined with silk, and I have my 1800s in them.

If presented convincingly, people will believe you.
I also use Copperfield, as he's a man people have heard of.

when I open the box, people lean in to really get a sight of the cards.
I usually do a short, easy trick with them, explaining how the cards are fragile and brittle and that I rarely even open the box.
short trick - change deck.
I wish they'd make a 1800 invisible deck.
That would make it even more awesome.

But yeah, I'm all for special cards.
Cards are only what you make of it - let the audience shuffle, and you've probably convinced them they're normal cards.

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
I disagree.

Have you seen Ricky Jays stuff?
His stories are the best part of his act.

if they believe you or not doesn't matter that much, they probably know there's acting involved.
And for my part, it goes well with my persona.

Sep 1, 2007
I disagree.

Have you seen Ricky Jays stuff?
His stories are the best part of his act.

if they believe you or not doesn't matter that much, they probably know there's acting involved.
And for my part, it goes well with my persona.

Agreed, Ricky Jay really knows how to tell a story. I know it draws me in more. I like what you do with the 1800's, it's interesting and creative. Gives you a reason to use those particular cards.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone feel that custom decks take away from the full magical effect your spectators should be feeling? Do you think that when someone immediately thinks the cards are unusual it takes away some of the power of your magic? Or does it help it? What do you all think?

Not necessarily, not if used properly. A key aspect of my performance is the concept of elegance. I strive for elegance in everything I do, from the persona I perform with to the movements themselves. Therefore it fits my persona to have an elegant looking deck - slightly different from norm goes perfectly well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results