Know Your Culture: Improvising With Cultures from Around The World

Hola! Before I get into posting, and more to the point writting out a lengthy word project I wanted to poll the general populas here from the common user to even our own Theory11 artists and creative team.

At work I am privledged to interact and improv off of guests from many diffrent cultures from all over the world. At work we recently recieved a training pamphlet that outlines many of our worlds diffrent cultures and key things to know about them, as well as a few things to not do around them.

When I was reading through the pages I was thinking to myself: "Man, much of this information would be good to know when I'm performing magic for diffrent people. It could give me additional points of conversational interests I can build patter around." I'll post a sample below. If this is something you would like more of, then I'd be glad to continue to share with the rest of the community here.

I will require some convincing and feedback before I continue with this project as there is a LOT of information to cover.

Continental Location: Eastern South America
What They Call Themselves: Argentineans
Primary Language: Spanish
Prominent Cities: Buenos Aires (capital) Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza, Mar del Plata.
Famous/ Historical sites: Teatro Colon (Buenos Aires), one of the world's great opera houses, 17th Century Cathedral of Cordoba.
Currency: Argentine Peso

Starter Phrases:
Welcome: Bienvenidos
Hello: Hola
Goodbye: Adios
Thank you: Gracias
You're Welcome: De nada

Cultural Notes:
- Prominent People/ Celebrities: Eva Peron aka "Evita", Former First Lady to President Juan Peron. Deceased; Lionel Messi aka "Lio" (pronounced LEO; 22 year old soccer phenom); Diego Marandona (Soccer legend; current manager of national team); Lalo Schifrin (composer; "Mission Impossible" theme); Manu Ginobili (Basketball player, San Antonio Spurs)

- Futbol (soccer) is a national obsession with Argentineans. They have produced globally known superstars like Marandona and Lio Messi. Both are as popular world wide as Tiger Woods, or Michael Jorden.

- Argentina hosted and won the FIFA World Cup Finals in 1978; they also controversially won in 1986. Maradona's 2 goals against England in the 1986 World Cup Finals have names. the first is referred to as the "Hand of God", as he illegally touched the ball with his hand to score. his game winner was named "The Goal of the Century" in 2002 by FIFA. The men's national team won the Gold at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

- Made up of 23 provinces, Argentina is the second largest country in South America and eigth in the world by land area. It became independent of Spain on July 9, 1816. July 9 is their national holiday. the name Argentina is an approximation of "The Land of Silver". It is bordered to the east by the Atlantic ocean and the Andes mountains to the west with Chile.

- A majority of Argentineans are of European decent, mainly Italian and spanish. According to the most recent censuses less than 2% of that population are of indigenous ancestry.

- Evita championed charitable & international causes via the Eva Peron Foundation. In 1952 shortly before her death from cancer at the age of 22, Eva Peron was given the official title of "Spiritual Leader of the Nation" by the Argentine Congress.

- The current President of Argentina is its former First Lady. Cristina Kirchner was a Senator for Buenos Aires Province prior to taking office. She is the wife of former President of Argentina Nestor Kirchner, and acted as First Lady during his term.

- Pampas, home of the Gauchos, are the plains west and south from Buenos Aires

-Argentine cuisine is known for its barbecued beefsteak dishes like Asado.

-Argentina is the home of the Tango. The golden age of Tango (1930 to mid- 1950's) Mirrored that of Jazz and Swing in the United States, featuring large orchestral groups.

What to Avoid:
Mention of the Falklands Islands which resulted in a osing war with the UK in 1982.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Thanks for this and the idea is great.( I imagine that you got the idea from zac gig with japanese people)

BTW, If you need help with Mexican culture ill be glad to help, we are a weird bunch.:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results