Gimmicks

Aug 3, 2009
Does anybody else think that they are cheating the audience out of something by using gimmicks of any sort? I can't bring myself to buy any gimmicked cards (or any other gimmick for that matter) because i feel like i am doing the audience an injustice by having more than what i am showing or telling them. Just trying to get some thoughts, and maybe some advice on how to get past that.

Does anybody else think that they are cheating the audience out of something by using gimmicks of any sort? I can't bring myself to buy any gimmicked cards (or any other gimmick for that matter) because i feel like i am doing the audience an injustice by having more than what i am showing or telling them. Just trying to get some thoughts, and maybe some advice on how to get past that.

I can see your logic, but surely buy doing any card trick you are in a way cheating the audience? False shuffles, false cuts, false riffles, sleight of hand, bottom deals, centre deals all of these are ways of cheating the audience into thinking you can actually perform magic. Granted that these are just the "technical" part of the routine, a trick is nothing without a good patter, however these techniques are still - as far as I see it - cheating the audience.

ha, i would use a gimmick if i could.
but what i like to do is hand the gimmick out, but that is a little hard if its like say, a distortion gimmick.
also gimmicks help you do things that are normally IMPOSSIBLE
so its totally worth it.
and its about your audience experience.

Aug 3, 2009
I can see your logic, but surely buy doing any card trick you are in a way cheating the audience? False shuffles, false cuts, false riffles, sleight of hand, bottom deals, centre deals all of these are ways of cheating the audience into thinking you can actually perform magic. Granted that these are just the "technical" part of the routine, a trick is nothing without a good patter, however these techniques are still - as far as I see it - cheating the audience.

I understand what you are saying, but i guess from my perspective i have always thought of the audience as viewing the magician as someone who doesn't perform "magic" but one who can trick your senses with undected moves and expert handling of the cards (thats how i viewed magicians even prior to learning though i still thoroughly enjoyed watching, i knew it wasnt magic), so by bringing in a gimmick you are effectively cheating them. I guess its just something I just need to try to get past, but some gimmicks are too much for me. At some point you begin to insult the intelligence of your audience (at least thats how i feel), i.e. shattering the pips on the card.

Aug 3, 2009
Also i should say that I do see usefulness for some gimmicks, but I dont want to become reliant on them, and i would also like to be able to perform any trick at any time with any deck. My primary audience is friends and family, so i would run into the whole "hey do that thing you did with the 2 cards that fused together", and not be prepared for it.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
If you look at magic as a whole, it is just gimmicks, the trick is to make things look real, thats where the real skill lies. Although granted, apart from an invisible deck, i am a purist when it comes to cards, as it is possible to do great magic without any gimmicks.

Sep 17, 2009
ENGLAND
Not sure on this dilema buddy, all that I know is gimmicks have been around longer that me!! and Iam 45!!:eek::eek:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results