Talent Show Mess Up

Jul 25, 2008
Upstate New York
Hey guys, I just got back from a talent show and I did a few tricks, about 3 card tricks and 5 stage tricks. Basically, without bragging I performed the first 7 great, but then the last trick (pressure) a little kid kinda messed me up. Although at the end of the show someone came up to me and said how did you do that balloon one, and I could tell they weren't being mean and sarcastic because I sorta messed up. They still reacted okay. Anyway, I won't reveal the method at all, so I won't go into to many details. Anyway, basically the kid grabbed the balloon at the worst time and didn't expose anything to people but ruined the ending. People still went crazy and cheered which was good.

Anyway, does anyone else have anything to share about messing up or someone grabbing cards, coins, or other objects?

EDIT: Does anyone else have any advice on stuff like this? One more thing. I think I'm going to stay away from kids magic and stuff for a while, because I have a feeling a lot of shows won't end well with kids.

yes... get better at audience management. with experience you can just know by looking at someone that they will be a problem. direct the person to stand in certain places if they make you nervous. abort the effect or act if needed!

Aug 19, 2009
I know it may sound mean or something... I think you just need to give out a more confident and intimidating presence... Now I am not saying be mean or scary....Just don't come off as being nervous and unconfident because the spectator will be more likely to invade your presentation space, without being asked to.

Dec 12, 2008
those kind of things happen to me too, especially i am doing the ACRs.

so basically i leave the card in the middle of the deck(which is already switched, u know what i mean) then some people try to take it out before even i have time to build up the tension or somesort.

yea. some people don't just respect the magic... yet.

Mar 24, 2009
those kind of things happen to me too, especially i am doing the ACRs.

so basically i leave the card in the middle of the deck(which is already switched, u know what i mean) then some people try to take it out before even i have time to build up the tension or somesort.

yea. some people don't just respect the magic... yet.

Of course people don't respect magic, they think it is something for them to try to figure out, they try that and they are always wrong, they thing we are always using special trick decks, when that is almost never true, and they do these things instead of trying to enjoy magic, not all people of course but mostly people that know you and know that is has nothing to do with real magic

Mar 2, 2008
All in the prestintation. Try entertaining them not tricking them.

Don't show a trick twice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results