GPS by Chris Kenner

I saw this effect and it was cheap and thought if I could put my spin on it then it would be a great mentalism effect. You don't have to actually

GPS by Chris Kenner

1 on 1 at theory11.com

Price $4.95

Description: You cut a deck and ask the spectator to take either pack and shuffle it and then ask them to count down the cards. They stop at any card and ask them to pick it up and look at it and then place the rest of the pack back down. They give a quick riffle shuffle to both of the packets and while you look through the cards you can decipher which card is theirs.

This effect is completely impromptu and actually uses a modified technique I am sure nearly every magician knows about. It's super simple and requires only a bit of setup that can actually be done in front of spectators if you have a bit of misdirection.

If you are curious and believe you could somehow use this effect then purchase it. It's a quick five dollars that shouldn't disappoint you with it's pure simplicity.

Overall 8/10

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I didnt really like this effect.
Although it was amazingly clean and totally hands off, I wouldnt say that it was practical.
It is a magician fooler and thats it. Why go through all that to fool laymen? when you could just force a card and reveal it, they wont notice a difference.
The method, I wouldnt called completely impromptu. There is quite a lot of setup needed. Although it isnt an exact stack or something, there is still some setup.

If you want an effect which I like a lot more. Less setup, same effect, less odd handlings, then check out Benjamin Earl's Ramjollock. I think there is a video on Youtube. It comes in his Trilogy Past Midnight set. Worlds greatest Trilogy set.

You could do a force but there are those spectators who try to catch your every movement and make up so many explanations. There isn't any changing their mind sometimes and when they do so much for the effect it can really make a difference.

This is my performance for the effect.

Do the effect right up to the point where the riffle shuffle both packets together, then I just slowly spread them asking them if they see their card and get that image trapped inside their head. I simply get a small break and pull that card to the top at the end of the spread. I ask them to place their hand on the deck and to imagine their card as a bubble at the bottom of the pool while their eyes are closed. When the bubble reaches the top and pops to open their eyes, I name their card and they turn over the top card (theirs).

I would never actually use it just like Chris Kenner, simply because like you said a force would be just as fine.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Yea... but not really...
if they could make up a explanation for a force, then they surely can for GPS as well. A classic force is pure simplicity. GPS as cuts, choices, shuffles, deals. Im pretty sure someone can pick out an explanation easily from that rather than a classic force.

Check out Ramjollock. Seriously it is much cleaner even. No deals, no choices. Its just a cut by the spectator, they look at the card they cut to, they replace the cut, they cut and riffle shuffle twice. TWICE. and you can easily find their card. They can even move their card off to another spot in the deck.

I don't like to use the classic force just because there isn't any substance with the cards. I use it for forcing cards on other tricks but for a mind reading trick GPS is definitely something I like to use now. However the best of them all for me is my Boris Wild's marked deck and I use it when I have my deck however, sometimes people like for me to use their deck or something.

All about peoples preferences and what they like to use. A classic force is great for getting an effect in, however I like the time you can use with GPS to build up a reaction.

Sep 1, 2007
I would also like to recommend you guys look into Ramjollock on Benjamin Earl's Past Midnight disc 3.

As sciffydof said, it is much cleaner and direct.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
If you want an effect which I like a lot more. Less setup, same effect, less odd handlings, then check out Benjamin Earl's Ramjollock. I think there is a video on Youtube. It comes in his Trilogy Past Midnight set. Worlds greatest Trilogy set.

Amen.

I agree. Although the method is devious, If you're not a fan of card locations, its defintely not a must buy.

G

PS: Ramjollock is the stuff of dreams.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I would also like to recommend you guys look into Ramjollock on Benjamin Earl's Past Midnight disc 3.

As sciffydof said, it is much cleaner and direct.

I met Ben briefly at Magic Live in Vegas and was blown away by his material. Unbelievably skilled - I would highly recommend looking into all of his work.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Be warned! When performing this effect, you have to choose your spectators. It will not work with everyone because of a certain skill you will need.

Just like Ramjollock.

G

Yea... but not really...
if they could make up a explanation for a force, then they surely can for GPS as well. A classic force is pure simplicity. GPS as cuts, choices, shuffles, deals. Im pretty sure someone can pick out an explanation easily from that rather than a classic force.

Check out Ramjollock. Seriously it is much cleaner even. No deals, no choices. Its just a cut by the spectator, they look at the card they cut to, they replace the cut, they cut and riffle shuffle twice. TWICE. and you can easily find their card. They can even move their card off to another spot in the deck.

Awesome thing!!!!!!!!

Mikk.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Be warned! When performing this effect, you have to choose your spectators. It will not work with everyone because of a certain skill you will need.

Just like Ramjollock.

G

I learn that the hard way. I was performing last night at a party. Some guy was being a @$$hole and said that I controlled his card to the top I should him that it wasn't his card. After that I did blueprint and he stay queit after that. It felt really good:D

I know this is an old thread, but I recently came across a blog and later a magic forum with people complaining about this trick not being impromptu at all and I see people here say it's not too so I am a little confused. I figured it out and it clearly requires a decent amount of set up. So why does it say it is impromptu on the product page?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I know this is an old thread, but I recently came across a blog and later a magic forum with people complaining about this trick not being impromptu at all and I see people here say it's not too so I am a little confused. I figured it out and it clearly requires a decent amount of set up. So why does it say it is impromptu on the product page?

Zack,

GPS is impromptu, depending on your definition of the word. I have been around the circle several times on this one recently with those that say this is not. In my opinion, it most certainly is. This trick is impromptu in that you can pick up someone else's normal deck of playing cards and do this trick. The down side is that it does take a moment to get ready, though with a little tiny bit of experience the setup is no problem and can be done in no time flat without anyone noticing anything fishy. There are no gimmicks, just a deck of playing cards and a cunning secret.

Sadly, no, you probably couldn't do this if you had ZERO time to prepare between the moment someone hands you a deck and the moment you need to do this, but you can pick up a deck at a friends house, look through it for a couple of moments, and then ask if they want to see a trick.

I hope that clears things for you.

L

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I discussed this with JB today and we came to the determination that we need to change the description to more clearly represent GPS. It has been changed on the product page. I hope we have answered any questions you may have.

Keep on rockin'!

L

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I discussed this with JB today and we came to the determination that we need to change the description to more clearly represent GPS. It has been changed on the product page. I hope we have answered any questions you may have.

Keep on rockin'!

L

Thanks for clearing it up! lol.
Although the true definition of impromptu goes along the lines of "-requires little to no setup". So really any magic effect that requires a little bit of setup is impromptu. Just a fun fact for all! =P

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results