I Am Infuriated and Saddened

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Alright... we all know there are exposure websites out there... there's no way to stop it and not much we can do about it.

Recently, thanks to a fortuitous Google search, I found my own marketed effect "The Destiny Effect" being openly discussed method-wise on an exposure-based forum. People are discussing what they think the method is and some people who own the ebook are posting general methods... INCLUDING members of this very forum, who I used to respect and consider talented guys but now consider nothing but scum.

I registered for an account on this forum to confront the issue. I established how upset I was, especially with specific members, and asked (in futility, I suppose) that the exposure discussion of my effect would stop. After all, Destiny is my baby... a piece I've used for over 2 years and has been my signature effect as long.

Was I responded to with a mature rebuttal? No... instead, I was insulted in numerous ways, plus someone had the audacity to actually post the entire, full, thorough method almost exactly as it appears in my ebook.

In closing... be careful on judgement of magicians you know. Even those who seem lik respectable, talented guys may turn out to be the exact opposite.

I can't describe how furious and upset this issue makes me. I tried to approach the issue with a certain degree of maturity (although I do wish I had retracted some comments I made at the outset as a result of my anger) and was readdressed with rudeness and statements that not only insulted my work, but also directly targeted me as a person.

Just needed to vent, thank you for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Indeed it is a shame. Please PM me any posts from users on this forum, and I'll ban them immediately. No room here for people like that.

-Doug

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
It's pretty easy to find the reveal too, it's right on the (*Blah Blah Blah page) of Google for ****'s sake.:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I refused to look at the method the guy explained because I respect you to much as a magician.

It's amazing how stuff gets around the internet.

Stanley, you've completely lost my respect. I considered you a good guy with mad talent and chops, but you've betrayed my trust. Not only are you completely two-faced, but completely not the magician I thought you were.

The Destiny Effect is NOT done this way. The method you're debating is old as the hills and not original to me. BUY THE EBOOK FOR $7 AND LEARN IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. I'm disgusted by all of you. Don't think people like me don't find things like this. Maybe you will all think twice before lowering yourself to such a scummy level.

What a disappointing thing this is. I feel guilty for even registering for this forum, but I feel I must say my piece. Come on guys, learn some respect and be real magicians.

Here is his response to the thread which I felt completely in the right. Meanwhile they treat him with such foul language, and lack of grammar possible that it should piss you off, and I believe you should have every right to vent. You can tell their teen's/pre-teens

Meanwhile, I would ask one of the admin's on the site to give you those revealer's user name, and sent them to lawsuit papers.If the admin won't give it to you, sue the
"site"( which you can't completely do, check with a lawyer about that.

I know that may be a little long drawn out court process for your civil lawsuit, but they deserve to know that magic shouldn't be revealed. As long as you have a copyright, it is not just immoral, but illegal!

You see, since he posted the exact wording word for word, it constitutes as Copyright infringement!

While this may seem frivolous, it's really about us not taking their attitude of "you can't do anything about it"anymore.

~Casey Pierson*, who didn't want to give anyone any ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't mean to pour salt into an open wound, but this is just too much drama over exposure of a simple card trick... Lighten up! I'm sure you'll create more material and you'll perform for more people. I read the advert of Destiny on the link in your signature, and to be honest-- although I'm sure it's a quality effect, it doesn't sound like anything groundbreaking enough to be excessively proud about. I mean-- Paul Harris has like 1000 different variations of that effect, alone! Ha.

Just let it go and continue to progress in the craft. Don't let hacks get under your skin. They'll always be there and they'll always be unethical. Use whatever they said to motivate you to come up with something better. There's no need to get so emo. Remember, at the end of the day-- they're just tricks. It's the performance of magic that leaves an impression and builds a reputation. No one that matters cares about stupid secrets.

RS.

Oct 16, 2007
:(

I just googled your name and the forum popped up. While it <is/was> an exposure site, I do agree that it was grimy to do such a thing- especially knowing that you watched the forum. "Bad form." Unfortunately, I've come to realize that such a lack of artistic respect/decorum is more prevalent in this genre of art and for that reason have distanced myself from the community since my start a few years ago. The inherent 'problem' with our art is simply the fact that "Some businesses involve secrets while, secrets are my business."

A "spoiler" site of how to solo like Vai wouldn't be called a spoiler site; it would be a "How to play" site. A spoiler showing how to dilute oil based paint like Van Gogh would be a "How to paint" site. Being that those sites are as prevalent as they are, I don't feel that there has been a push for the understanding of secrecy as being a pivotal element in our art "working". This fact along with a general lack of empathy for others leads to misfortunes such as yours.

Alas, all is not lost though- you are still an amazing performer (I'm quite a fan) and you are still a great creative mind in our shared genre.

Remember:
Never attribute to malice that which can just as easily be attributed to stupidity.

Best of everything from Long Island,
Dave

May 3, 2008
That's awful. Not only that they revealed your effect but that they also that they insulted you. It angers me when people reveal tricks that i paid money for but I would be furious if it was something I created.

Also, I really like your trick. I haven't quite gotten it down yet but it's like an invisible deck with names almost. It's really cool.

It happens man. At least its not being torrented. Ran into that with everything I have ever had released. I have some killer and creative stuff but I am really hesitant to release things, which is what happens with the "bigger" name guys as well.

Its not worth arguing with those guys either, it goes no where.

Where there is good there must be evil and it can't be stopped, especially with the internet. Just keep promoting the site you have the trick for sale on and hope that people will make the ethical choice.

Peace,
Ben

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Thank you guys for your sympathy... this whole issue just makes me feel sick. Members on this forum even will openly admit what they do is unethical... but they don't care. As those of you who saw the thread can attest to, they care not one ounce for the artist. I've been personally, creatively, and intellectually insulted, with people going so far as to make fun of physical appearance and personality. Just the fact that they called me a terrible magician with no hopes of respect was hard enough to swallow.

Nov 10, 2007
Virginia
Michael, I feel you man. People just get a sensation out of insulting and embarrassing online, it makes them feel good. I know how angry one can get, and I at all don't mind you venting on this forum. Anybody who calls you out will get theirs eventually. Believe me... I know. ;)

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
In terms of names:

I recognize certain aspects of certain members' postings, but do not want to make an accusation against any specific people unless I'm certain it's them. The only one I'm certain of is Stanley McDowall because, well, his full name is in his signature.

Sep 5, 2007
I dont really see how you could sue them seeing as he (well that one guy did I think) didnt reveal word for word maybe Im wrong though.
And yes I am the member that told you to just give up on the argument there so ban me if you want to even though I didnt contribute to that thread at all.

For the people talking about suing these people your case would be thrown out of a courtroom.

Anyways, stuff like this sucks, the best you can do is not get hung up over it. It's not like the site is like the Cafe with thousands upon thousands of members reading the method of your effect. Move on, forget about it. You have a good effect... be happy about it!

Mitch

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm harsh words goin on in that thread and for the record I do not think for a second Michael you are fat. But seriously though you shouldn't worry about it to much, the Forum is pretty much a joke and people believe a lot of crap. IDC if they are little but here is a story,
Someone wanted to know how to do Flare the self lighting cigarette thing. I posted an explanation that you need potassium metal and Sulfuric acid at least 70 percent concentrate, They believed it hope they get scars if they try that.

But my point is a lot of the folks on there are pretty terrible performers and in my opinion is group therapy session for people who feel they bought an effect that isn't worth purchasing. The point I am attempting to make is don't sweat the small stuff, the forum is filled with low life magicians who can't perform so if anything you should be laughing at them because in reality you are better then them.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Hmm harsh words goin on in that thread and for the record I do not think for a second Michael you are fat. But seriously though you shouldn't worry about it to much, the Forum is pretty much a joke and people believe a lot of crap. IDC if they are little but here is a story,
Someone wanted to know how to do Flare the self lighting cigarette thing. I posted an explanation that you need potassium metal and Sulfuric acid at least 70 percent concentrate, They believed it hope they get scars if they try that.

But my point is a lot of the folks on there are pretty terrible performers and in my opinion is group therapy session for people who feel they bought an effect that isn't worth purchasing. The point I am attempting to make is don't sweat the small stuff, the forum is filled with low life magicians who can't perform so if anything you should be laughing at them because in reality you are better then them.

Thank you man, I'm happy to see so many on my side. After some of my harsher posts I feared my support would be lost... those posts were done in anger and, although I'm not proud of them, I feel they were necessary given the circumstances. I'm not going to go as far as calling people fat ****s, but my anger got the better of me and I said some things that were a bit too harsh by my standards and shamefully immature.

But, what's done is done. I'm finished posting there... I'll just keep a watchful eye and only post again if I feel it is absolutely necessary.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results