Answer To A Dreaded Question: "Is It Real?"

Always are we, the magicians, asked by a peer or even someone who might be older or younger than you, this terrible question. "Is it real, or is it, like, fake?"

Some of us reply by telling them that it is all a trick. Others say it was their minds fooling them, an illusion. And still some play it off as if it were real magic, and they were the sorcerer. But the truth is, none of those answers are good. Because there is no right answer it is all based on our style of performing.

Now, pretty soon I have an interview, and I am almost positive that this will be a question. And, finally, at long last, I have figured out how to answer this question and let all my spectators know exactly what's up. Some of you may like this answer, and others may hate it, but all feedback is welcomed with open arms, I will never skip over a post.

Here it is...

"So is what you do real?"

My answer: You see, here is thing. People always ask me this, and the answer, in my mind at least, is simple. What you see is a trick. Nothing more than quick hands, hidden moves, and misdirection. So no, that's not magic. Anything that I do, can be accomplished with knowledge and practice. So, no. What happens in my hand is a trick, its an illusion. However, the real magic is what happens between me and my spectators. For a few seconds I let them step out of reality and think: "Did that really happen." And that emotional connection between us is the real magic.

Dylan P.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Well i sure hope you're not gonna give that whole lecture everytime a person asks you that question.

i usually dont get asked this question a lot but i encountered it a few times. My simple reply is "If you want it to be", which pretty much sums up your long answer in a few words.

But i know that it's for an interview so a long answer is ok.

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
I think it depends whos asking. I usually dont want to say yes i do real magic, but this one time I was on the subway with my friend and I was floating a ring (IT). Then a lady walked over and asked what just happened and if it was real...and I just had to say yes, so we had a 5 min conversation on how to control your mind to do these kinds of things. When she left we just laughed, was pretty fun.

Also what was more funny is the wax flew off my thumbnail with the IT and hung right infront of my nose during the conversation, and i felt so stupid but she didnt notice! :D

"So is what you do real?"

My answer: You see, here is thing. People always ask me this, and the answer, in my mind at least, is simple. What you see is a trick. Nothing more than quick hands, hidden moves, and misdirection. So no, that's not magic. Anything that I do, can be accomplished with knowledge and practice. So, no. What happens in my hand is a trick, its an illusion. However, the real magic is what happens between me and my spectators. For a few seconds I let them step out of reality and think: "Did that really happen." And that emotional connection between us is the real magic.

Dylan P.

Although that response is very poetic, I highly doubt you'll manage to spit it out without putting people to sleep. To be brutally honest, you sound like you're trying too hard to be deep and influential. You're an entertainer. In today's society, if you want to be a memorable entertainer, it's important to remain commercial and relevant to the audience. You won't come off as relatable if you deliver some flowery hodgepodge that would barely fly at a magic convention among fellow magicians who share the same passions you do about the craft. Your response to the question above just sounds juvenile and laughable.

With that... why would anyone ask such a question to begin with? I honestly think that if you're legitimately expecting such a question, you're either too self absorbed in your work or you're performing for some very dense audiences. I almost feel like that question is insulting the audience's intelligence. I certainly hope most people logically understand that what we perform as entertainers is just that-- entertainment. I've had the opportunity to perform at some impressive gigs and do magic and mentalism for an expansive list of clients. Although numerous people believed in what I did and suspended their disbelief to be amazed with my talent, I highly doubt anyone ever legitimately questioned whether I had some paranormal powers at all. Doing so would almost be foolish. Has anyone here ever really gotten that question from people? If so, I'd be curious to know what your target audiences are...

In any case, I do actually agree with the fundamental point of Dylan's opinion minus all its filler. The individual tricks we do are trivial compared to the connection we build with people through magic. That raw connection, no matter how brief it may be, is what real magic's all about.

RS.

My response to this is really simple and kind of leaves them answering their own question. When the ask "Is what you do real or fake?" i simply say, "If you were in my shoes wouldn't you want it to be real?" More than 90% of the time they just smile and say "......So it is real....." i mean i do get those who will say oh well its fake then but i like to give them that thought that if magic could be a real thing that happens this is what it would look like and this is the amazment they would recieve from seeing something as simple as a simple color change to something as complex as levitating a random spectator. Well thats just how i do it. =)

Sep 2, 2007
London
My answer to "Is it real?" is usually, "Yeah, sort of", which is true, but also vague enough for them to put their own interpretation on it. We could very easily stray into the philosophy of mind here, because, after all, what is "real"? If you see a coin go into my left hand, then a moment later it isn't there, has it "really" vanished? I would say yes, because each person defines their own reality, and, in that moment, their truth, their reality, is that the coin was there and then it was gone.

Apr 1, 2009
California
How is this a dreaded question? Some people seem to like complicating things... You spend hours and hours practicing to make something look not so fake... and now you're going the extra mile to make it look not tooo real? Believe it or not, magic is real. Astonishment is real. And that is what we spend all of these hours trying so hard to achieve. The point that we're here trying to get is the moment. The actual effect that we spend 20-30 bucks for is just the beautiful physical relic that tries to convey such moment. As hard as that may be for some people to take in, magic is not just something you spend 20-30 bucks on. It is something real. It's something powerful. It's a personal experience. It's potentially life changing. It's emotional. We can sit on here for hours at night searching for the perfect effect, but what we're doing is looking for the strongest key to HELP you unlock the real magic.

Although that response is very poetic, I highly doubt you'll manage to spit it out without putting people to sleep. To be brutally honest, you sound like you're trying too hard to be deep and influential. You're an entertainer. In today's society, if you want to be a memorable entertainer, it's important to remain commercial and relevant to the audience. You won't come off as relatable if you deliver some flowery hodgepodge that would barely fly at a magic convention among fellow magicians who share the same passions you do about the craft. Your response to the question above just sounds juvenile and laughable.

With that... why would anyone ask such a question to begin with? I honestly think that if you're legitimately expecting such a question, you're either too self absorbed in your work or you're performing for some very dense audiences. I almost feel like that question is insulting the audience's intelligence. I certainly hope most people logically understand that what we perform as entertainers is just that-- entertainment. I've had the opportunity to perform at some impressive gigs and do magic and mentalism for an expansive list of clients. Although numerous people believed in what I did and suspended their disbelief to be amazed with my talent, I highly doubt anyone ever legitimately questioned whether I had some paranormal powers at all. Doing so would almost be foolish. Has anyone here ever really gotten that question from people? If so, I'd be curious to know what your target audiences are...

In any case, I do actually agree with the fundamental point of Dylan's opinion minus all its filler. The individual tricks we do are trivial compared to the connection we build with people through magic. That raw connection, no matter how brief it may be, is what real magic's all about.

RS.

Well, I do not tell a spectator this everytime they ask for it. It is merely for an interview, as it is strong, infulential, and as you said, poetic. Usually during performance I will just say: "If you think it was real magic, then it was."

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't think many people will ask you if your card or coin magic is "real" or not. The general public is smarter than you think. They know that what you did was with some form of sleight of hand or gimmick. The only time they would ask "is it real?" Would be if you were doing mentalism. I am not talking about "You thought the 6 of clubs. Didn't you." type mentalism. I am talking about things like Billet Peaks and Switches that have relevance to the person. IE: Them writing down something important to them and then you reading their mind. That is when they would ask "Is it real?".

Otherwise if they ask you if your magic is real. Then you are dealing with people who thought the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia was real. >_>

I only get asked that question when i do my balloon swallow.

The spectator normally says' you didn't really swallow that, did you?' and I say 'its up to you to belive what you want, but if i told you for certain, where would the mystery be?'

If they carry it on, then I say 'give it a few hours and it will be a POOdle' HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, get it? poodle?! oh never mind. this normally gets a groan and they leave me to it.

Simon_Magic

Believe it or not I am asked this question on a regular basis, even when performing a simple card trick such as the jumping gemini. The person with ask if it was real magic. I find that it is a common question for me, but perhaps not you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results